Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

X5S New Handheld

I've wondered about it too.

Given that much of the camera electronics would have to be inside the handle, that would affect the cost. Plus, the issue with the pro licenses added on if the handle electronics won't accept the license off the I2, the over-priced SSD card, battery, monitor, etc. you might be looking at $3K-$4+ for the setup where others may be far cheaper. Being the X5S is more of a component system, this may not come to fruition.

Reactions: mighty Eagle
I'm beginning to wonder if DJI have taken a few wrong turns with the I2 design, or at least bitten of more than they can chew. Very quiet on the x5s ground handle, and also on the battery mutlicharger.

But, we may find they're working to release a processor module so you can attach the x5s to the Ronin 2 :D - it does use the TB50's after all :p:D ...or maybe they'll release an adaptor so you can just slide the I2 into the Ronin o_O

Reactions: cvanhoose
I noticed that they removed the statement for the handle from the X5S page. They do have mention of future products in the FAQs.
I will be disappointed if I am unable to use this component on the ground.
I am debating purchasing a Panasonic GX8 for the time being to utilize my collection of lenses.Screen Shot 2017-07-23 at 5.34.35 PM.png

Reactions: mrachal
I'm not gonna hold my breath... and I wouldn't bank on it being pretty, or anywhere as near cheap as the Osmo.

Factor in the room for Cinecore SoC, battery, heatsinks, sd slot and SSD slot and I'd be surprised if we'd be looking at the Osmo form factor. And while the Osmo's great at what it does, it has a few limitations and starts to become less elegant once you start adding Mic, iPhone, z-axis, and other accessories such as LED lights.

With all the above, I wouldn't be so surprised if they tried something more akin to a mini Ronin. But could they get the cost down enough to make it worth it against the Ronin? Will be interesting to see what (or if...) they do.

Still there on the i2 page - go to the bottom Inspire 2–Power Beyond Imagination

Interesting thing tho'.... Crystalsky, Charging Station and 4G-LTE Network all have the ** for ** coming soon. Ground Filming doesn't have the ** !?!

Nothing like being as clear as mud ;) :D

Here is a screenshot from 4/5/17 that also does not have the ** for coming soon on the Ground Filming portion. Unfortunately the mistake has been there for a few months. :(

X5S OSMO ADAPTER

Reactions: cvanhoose
I'm not gonna hold my breath... and I wouldn't bank on it being pretty, or anywhere as near cheap as the Osmo.

Factor in the room for Cinecore SoC, battery, heatsinks, sd slot and SSD slot and I'd be surprised if we'd be looking at the Osmo form factor. And while the Osmo's great at what it does, it has a few limitations and starts to become less elegant once you start adding Mic, iPhone, z-axis, and other accessories such as LED lights.

With all the above, I wouldn't be so surprised if they tried something more akin to a mini Ronin. But could they get the cost down enough to make it worth it against the Ronin? Will be interesting to see what (or if...) they do.

if the x5s works with the m200 which to my knowledge doesn't have cinecore SoC, it seems they could do this possibly without raw? or possibly a processor module to allow RAW/SSD? ive been really looking forward to this like many here. but wont hold my breath....

My personal opinion is that DJI is finally getting around to trying to officially segment their market. The Inspire 2 is devoted to the videographers of the world and the core processor for the DNG and ProRes is housed in the body of the flight platform. The M200 is the industrial platform of choice, will fly a host of cameras including the x5s but, no on platform processing. The M600 is the heavy lifter. They are in development of an ultra light HD that will incorporate into their future offerings. My guess is when you get into the cost of making a Osmo like platform that could exploit the DNG/ProRes processor you are coming up against stabilizer rigs for pro cameras that are cheap and readily available.

Reactions: Paul Nordin
Yep. If the cost of the stabilizer is over $1000 its a non-starter. Pay a little more and get a proper gimbal rig that can can handle any DSLR up to Red camera. MUCH more marketable from a owner / operator stand point.

Spot on NickU. My girlfriend is going to do a documentary in Jordan and was asking me what should she take to do the interview work. She already has a Nikon D610 but was wondering about getting an Osmo. Once you add a mic and lights, it loses some of its mobility I would imagine. She wants to travel light and maybe the camera and an external mic would be enough.

Spot on NickU. My girlfriend is going to do a documentary in Jordan and was asking me what should she take to do the interview work. She already has a Nikon D610 but was wondering about getting an Osmo. Once you add a mic and lights, it loses some of its mobility I would imagine. She wants to travel light and maybe the camera and an external mic would be enough.

it entirely depends on your needs , NBC uses osmo with x3 for broadcast news interviews. A ronin is overkill for some needs, me included. it also has a fairly heavy price tag at 7K. if DJI gets it right there is definitely a segment of the market that would like this type of device. especially for those who already have a X5S with the i2. mini ronin sounds interesting, although it seems like it would add too much bulk.... who knows ;)

It would be nice to have some updates from DJI, this is turning into a ghost......

Bought the Inspire 2 and love the craft, but part of the lure was the handle for the x5S. Hate not knowing what, if and when it might be a reality.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LewisuhaAbips