Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

32 channel hack - what are your results???

Reaction score
Hey doods!

A search for "32 channel" netted really crappy results, so just starting a new thread.

I'm interested in who has done this 32 channel hack, and if their results were worth the trouble. Are you seeing improved range? Are the acquired new channels outside the microwave frequency band? Are you getting a more solid connection at closer distances (say, under 2000')? Getting less channel switching anomalies? Any of you done this on an Inspire 1???

Please share your experience. Please, first-hand experience only. Not interested in anecdotes at this point.

Thank you!!!

DF

Hey doods!

A search for "32 channel" netted really crappy results, so just starting a new thread.

I'm interested in who has done this 32 channel hack, and if their results were worth the trouble. Are you seeing improved range? Are the acquired new channels outside the microwave frequency band? Are you getting a more solid connection at closer distances (say, under 2000')? Getting less channel switching anomalies? Any of you done this on an Inspire 1???

Please share your experience. Please, first-hand experience only. Not interested in anecdotes at this point.

Thank you!!!

DF
What platform are you talking about (you do not specify) since the Inspire 2 uses Go4 which the configs file doesn't work with. So if you are trying to get results with that you maybe disappointed.
However the Inspire 1 uses the old DJI Go which will play with the 32 channel config file.
Since this is App specific (and involves modifying the app) I have moved this to the Go App section

I have the file installed on my Go App for the Inspire 1 and it is useful in aquiring a noise free channel or at least one with a low noise floor. However, once you have selected a channel manually you lose the ability for the lightbridge to hop frequencies/channels automatically so this can actually be detrimental in certain scenarios.
I have no idea regarding improved range since I do not fly to illegal distances and remain <500m and VLOS only at all times.
With regards to a 'more solid connection' - not really. I find the auto switching does a good job of hopping about if dense traffic is experienced

What platform are you talking about (you do not specify) since the Inspire 2 uses Go4 which the configs file doesn't work with. So if you are trying to get results with that you maybe disappointed.

I guess I was a bit vague in that regard. My last question, "Have you tried this on the Inspire 1??" was intended to elude the forum to the fact I am modifying an Inspire 1. My bad for not being clearer.

However the Inspire 1 uses the old DJI Go which will play with the 32 channel config file.
Since this is App specific (and involves modifying the app) I have moved this to the Go App section

This is interesting. Thought this was done through firmware. I will have to explore this further.

I have the file installed on my Go App for the Inspire 1 and it is useful in aquiring a noise free channel or at least one with a low noise floor. However, once you have selected a channel manually you lose the ability for the lightbridge to hop frequencies/channels automatically so this can actually be detrimental in certain scenarios.

Well...this is the case with 8 channels, as well. It's pretty easy to go back to dynamic channel switching if locking onto a single channel isn't working out.

I have no idea regarding improved range since I do not fly to illegal distances and remain <500m and VLOS only at all times.

500m is an altitude limitation. Not a distance limitation. That said, my partner (spotter) has been able to keep eyes on our Inspire 1 as far as 2500' out. My vision isn't as good, so I lose it around 2200'. That said, my objective isn't just greater distance, but stronger signal at closer distance. In some situations around a lot of trees and/or buildings, we've suffered dropped frames from as little as 500' away. Trees and bushes (water bags) are the worst attenuators of the microwave frequency band. My hopes are that the 32 channel hack pushes a little below and above the normal 2.400Ghz - 2.483Ghz frequency band we're stuck with now.

With regards to a 'more solid connection' - not really. I find the auto switching does a good job of hopping about if dense traffic is experienced

In single operator mode, I agree. But what we have discovered is there are channel switching latency issues with the slave controller. If the Master is hopping all over the place, we get dropped frames in the slave controller. Sometimes, a LOT of dropped frames. Enough to make the slave's video feed all but useless. My hopes are that, more frequency choices = more available strong channels = less channel hopping.

Thoughts?

No, it is a distance limitation and law under CAP393 94/95 unless an OSC has been approved.
It is the lesser of VLOS or max 500m distance in the UK.

Ahhhh....UK....touché. Not law in the states. 1500' distance limitations would knock me out of 75% of my work. Geeze...

Got a 600 acre mapping gig coming up. Half of it over water. I guess I could always launch from a boat. Bwahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here is some worthwhile information on the 32 channels.

DJI P3/P4/Inspire HD (video receive bands Rx-HD) are stock from Ch 13 to Ch 20 and those are the same channels for Wi-Fi and Ham radios (no wonder video is choppy and interrupted). Some of us did the "32 channel hack" to open the Rx bands from Ch 21 to Ch 32 BUT channels 23 to 32 are occupied by the Sprint LTE 2.5G carrier (Sprint is the only cell carrier in US to use the 2.5G band Looking at the attached link, if you have the 32 channel hack, the only clean channel is Ch 22 since does not have any Wi-Fi or Ham bands in it. Have used the Spectrum analyzer and locked it on band 2496 MHz (Ch 22) and is a lot cleaner compared to the other bands. If you fly in the Sprint 2.5G band, you will be OK as long as you are above 75ft (height of the cell tower in most cases).

https://docs.google.com/…/1WuKQD3FvbtFnJ6wkFu9DLxhdxH…/edit…

Here is some worthwhile information on the 32 channels.

DJI P3/P4/Inspire HD (video receive bands Rx-HD) are stock from Ch 13 to Ch 20 and those are the same channels for Wi-Fi and Ham radios (no wonder video is choppy and interrupted). Some of us did the "32 channel hack" to open the Rx bands from Ch 21 to Ch 32 BUT channels 23 to 32 are occupied by the Sprint LTE 2.5G carrier (Sprint is the only cell carrier in US to use the 2.5G band Looking at the attached link, if you have the 32 channel hack, the only clean channel is Ch 22 since does not have any Wi-Fi or Ham bands in it. Have used the Spectrum analyzer and locked it on band 2496 MHz (Ch 22) and is a lot cleaner compared to the other bands. If you fly in the Sprint 2.5G band, you will be OK as long as you are above 75ft (height of the cell tower in most cases).

https://docs.google.com/…/1WuKQD3FvbtFnJ6wkFu9DLxhdxH…/edit…

I have hacked both the Go app and the Go4 app (Mavic). The Go4 app doesn't show channel 1-32 the way the Go app does. The Go4 app just shows frequency range. With the hack, the range greatly expanded in the Go4 app, which I assume means it worked. But I'm curios about something. If you leave the Go or Go4 app in "Auto," will it naturally migrate towards the cleanest frequency? Should I see a clear bias toward channel 22 or 2.491GHz?

Also, what happens if only one iPad is hacked? Should the hacked iPad be the Master? Will the slave iPad naturally pick up the 32 channels, too? Or will the slave iPad need to be hacked as well? My instincts tell me both iPads would have to be hacked.

Last edited:
I have hacked both the Go app and the Go4 app (Mavic). The Go4 app doesn't show channel 1-32 the way the Go app does. The Go4 app just shows frequency range. With the hack, the range greatly expanded in the Go4 app, which I assume means it worked. But I'm curios about something. If you leave the Go or Go4 app in "Auto," will it naturally migrate towards the cleanest frequency? Should I see a clear bias toward channel 22 or 2.491GHz?

What platform are you talking about (you do not specify) since the Inspire 2 uses Go4 which the configs file doesn't work with.

Actually, it DID work with the Go4 app. The Mavic uses the Go4 app, too. I just flew 1 mile @ < 400' AGL and video very solid.

You are not hacking the iPad, your hacking the app. I have a I1 with iPad air. One of my last flights was about 4200' at 150' alt. If I put it back on auto, video feed is not trusted. Like I said before I most always use channel 22. If I missed one of your questions, let me know. I do not know about hacked iPads. After you do an update, the 32 channels is deleted.

You are not hacking the iPad, your hacking the app.

Touché. "The app." Noted.

I have a I1 with iPad air. One of my last flights was about 4200' at 150' alt.

That's very good. I usually have to get up to about 400' to stay connected at that distance. Can't wait to test this.

If I put it back on auto, video feed is not trusted. Like I said before I most always use channel 22. If I missed one of your questions, let me know.

You got them all. Thank you.

I do not know about hacked iPads.

Neither do I...but I'm getting better at it. After 20+ years of building/fixing PC's, I guess it's time to learn these new, fancy devices. HA!

After you do an update, the 32 channels is deleted.

You mean if I allow the Go app to update, I have to redo the 32-channel mod?

Please beware
The latest DJI Go 4.1.6 has removed the 32 ch hack from the device. It no longer works on iOS

Please beware
The latest DJI Go 4.1.6 has removed the 32 ch hack from the device. It no longer works on iOS

I stopped allowing DJI app updates quite some time ago. My Go-4 is at v4.0.8 and my Go app is at 3.1.1. I'm like 4 generations behind on both and couldn't be happier. I'm a few generations behind firmware-wise, too. All birds = rock solid.

I stopped allowing DJI app updates quite some time ago. My Go-4 is at v4.0.8 and my Go app is at 3.1.1. I'm like 4 generations behind on both and couldn't be happier. I'm a few generations behind firmware-wise, too. All birds = rock solid.
I understand and agree that is a better way to go. But DJI rolls out some improvements for the Inspire 2 using the App, POI is still not released. I also, believe the FW updates are being controlled by the Go 4 App too. I hope the guys that created the Hack updates it to work again. I will be trying to restore my iPhone back to the previous version for sure.

Rich

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StephaineC