Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

480 gb ssd download speed pretty good!

Reaction score
so when I download about 200 gb worth of data from the cinessd onto my 2016 15inch MacBook Pro, it takes about 15 min. I know the MacBook has incredible read and write times but I am getting nowhere near the complaints of 2 hours to download a full 480gb cinessd....

Just wanted to share.

Reactions: RogerRamjet
Any idea if the 240G has the same download speed as the 480G? I know the write speeds are different between the 3 different options but am wondering about read as well. @Advexure my 240G and Focus Handwheel for my I2 are arriving from you today. I called Friday and you said it would ship in a week, NOT, shipped in 3 days! Appreciate the prompt service fellas...can never complain about under promising and over performing!! :D

i wonder since SSD tend to have slower performance as they fill up, since I only had about half full that the performance was so much better. it actually took be about 6 minutes to download 139 GB of data. I will try to fill it up to 480 GB and see if performance slows down...

nope! took 22 minutes to download 480GB. This is roughly 3 Gbps which is close to the 5 Gbps max speed for USB 3. I wonder why people are saying 2 hours to empty the 480GB SSD. I wonder if they were using non ssd hd to download...

Last edited:
Reactions: cvanhoose
Were you downloading Cinema DNG or ProRes? What application on the MacBook Pro were you using to do the download?

Sent from my iPhone using InspirePilots

I downloaded raw. No application required for the download. Just drag all the files from the ssd to a folder on the desktop.

nope! took 22 minutes to download 480GB. This is roughly 3 Gbps which is close to the 5 Gbps max speed for USB 3. I wonder why people are saying 2 hours to empty the 480GB SSD. I wonder if they were using non ssd hd to download...

The difference from cineSSD to SSD or cineSSD to HDD is significant. Write speeds of 3 gbs vs 300 mbs respectively.

Yup. So people who were saying they will need to buy another cinessd and spend another $900 to shorten their filming downtime is ridiculous. Just upgrade your computer storage to a fast ssd and you will only have 20 min downtime! Of course the only real good thing about the new MacBook pros are their insanely fast flash storage....up to 16gbps write speeds....that's 2GB per second!

I'm downloading from a full 120Gbite DJI SSD to a HDD via USB 3.0 and it's taking about 3 hours! Perhaps I have to purchase a SSD external storage device!

I'm downloading from a full 120Gbite DJI SSD to a HDD via USB 3.0 and it's taking about 3 hours! Perhaps I have to purchase a SSD external storage device!

You have a very slow HDD if you need 3 hours for a 120 gb file. 11 mbs. try downloading it to an internal HDD? you could replace the internal HDD for an 500 gb/1 tb SSD

Yikes. That's terribly slow. Sounds like you are gonna update your system especially if you want to ingest and grade your prores files!

Your definitely correct on that account. My download speeds area only about 11-12 MB/sec as of now.

I haven't ordered my ssd's yet but can someone test to see if you can 1) write to the SSD, 2) use the SSD to edit when using your editor of choice

Sent from my iPad using InspirePilots

The ssd is only read only when you plug it in to the cinessd reader. You can only format the entire ssd when it is inserted into the drone. Sit he only thing you can do with it is record in the drone and download the files to the computer.

Reactions: marctronixx
Downloading only 63gb of files from a 480gb SSD to an internal SSD via USB3.0 on my dell mobile workstation. It's been running for 30+ minutes and STILL says I need to get a good nights sleep while it continues downloading for another 10 hours. What in the world is wrong?

Downloading only 63gb of files from a 480gb SSD to an internal SSD via USB3.0 on my dell mobile workstation. It's been running for 30+ minutes and STILL says I need to get a good nights sleep while it continues downloading for another 10 hours. What in the world is wrong?
I notice that sometimes i get random errors trying to copy files over. I simply eject the ssd and remount be try again. Seems to work. I don't know if it is on the OS side or the ssd side that is causing these errors.

Pretty sure the issue was ESET Antivirus. I tested copying 96 frames of DNG files. About 545MB. Plug into the USB2 side, takes 15 Minutes. Not a typo. Plug into the USB3 side (thinking it might be driver issue and maybe didn't really have USB3) and took 6:30. Copied internally from one drive to another, an instantaneous copy. Tried disabling ESET, connected to USB3 about 6 seconds. 65 times faster. Still took about 15 minutes to ofload 63gb which IMHO is very slow, but it's a LOT better than 10+hrs.

I'll try your work around as well. Thanks for getting back to me.

As far as laptops go, the one I use is pretty hefty. Quad Core i7, 32gb memory, all SSD drives, Quadro video etc. I'm still running windows 7 as I just don't care for the new OS's (and assume that they require more overhead to run anyhow), all drivers and apps are up to date. Just seemed to have the one antivirus that trashes the ingress of data. Oh.Well.

My office neighbor is a production house, working with gigantic files like this day in and day out. He described an editing workstation they'd built (more memory than God, more cores than an oil company) and realized afterward that there was some combination of components that also hammered this sort of process, and that an Acer laptop was much faster at uploading files than their race horse. Go figure.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawsonlee