Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

4k Video Editing System

Reaction score
I'm trying to get setup to edit 4k video, I am running the current system:
Processor: 1 x Intel® Core™ i7-4790K Processor (4x 4.0GHz/8MB L3 Cache) - Intel® Core™ i7-4790K

Memory: just upgraded to 32Gb of DDR3 Ripjaw

Video Card: 1 x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980ti - 6GB - Single Card

Motherboard: ASUS Z97-K -- 2x PCIe x16, 4x USB 3.0, 2x USB 2.0

Primary Hard Drive: 1 x 120GB Kingston V300 SSD + 2TB 7200RPM HARD DRIVE (Videos are on 2TB Hard Drive)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional + Office Starter 2010 (Includes basic versions of Word and Excel) - 64-bit

When playing 4k video (from a GoPro)in a player like VLC it plays smoothly, when brought into an editing environment like Premiere it slows down and stutters after a few seconds. I just added 16Gb of RAM which made zero difference. I am using the Mercury GPU Acceleration Memory Playback Engine.

I don't get it 4 x 4.0 GHZ i7 + 6GB GPU + 32 GB of RAM one would think = 4k video editing.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The weak link in your system is the 2TB spinning disc hard drive. I suspect the read/write speeds are too slow..

Try download movavi - that should run on that pc. You get 7 days free trial, so you can test it.

Get a Mac with Final Cut
I use a mac at work, in fact I've used both Macs and PC since their inception. Final Cut X has become a terrible editing environment, Premier has always sucked. I'm looking at DaVinci Resolve now. The line between the two has blurred performance wise. I have too many 4 thousand dollar Mac paperweights hanging around.

[QUOare="B-Scene Films, post: 60986, member: 23573"]That system should ripup 4K no problem. You have a software issue.[/QUOTE]
You are correct. I downloaded another nle and the 4k ran fine, it has something to do with Premiere which doesn't surprise me because Premiere has always sucked since the day it first came out.

[QUOare="B-Scene Films, post: 60986, member: 23573"]That system should ripup 4K no problem. You have a software issue.
You are correct. I downloaded another nle and the 4k ran fine, it has something to do with Premiere which doesn't surprise me because Premiere has always sucked since the day it first came out.[/QUOTE]
Sorry but I am a newbie. Could you please explain what "lne" is short form for. I have a Macbook Pro and want to edit 4k video. Which software editing programme do you recommend I use

You are correct. I downloaded another nle and the 4k ran fine, it has something to do with Premiere which doesn't surprise me because Premiere has always sucked since the day it first came out.
Sorry but I am a newbie. Could you please explain what "lne" is short form for. I have a Macbook Pro and want to edit 4k video. Which software editing programme do you recommend I use
It's not "lne". The "nle" that James mentioned is short for Non-Linear Editor, basically a fancy name for video editing software.

You need to transcode the media. The X3 camera outputs .mov files with the H.264 codec. H.264 is the problem. It's not a friendly compression to edit with. It uses a high compression algorithm to optimize video playback. Even with a high end system you'll have performance issues editing with 4k files. I use "Avid Media Composer" and transcode the media to Avids DNxHR codec. The only problem is it will more than likely double the size of the file.

[QUOare="B-Scene Films, post: 60986, member: 23573"]That system should ripup 4K no problem. You have a software issue.
You are correct. I downloaded another nle and the 4k ran fine, it has something to do with Premiere which doesn't surprise me because Premiere has always sucked since the day it first came out.[/QUOTE]

I have Premiere Pro CC 2015 and it performs just as well as the Avid does with 4k media. FYI - Walter Murch has moved over to it and prefers it over Avid & FCP.

Bill, you sound like you know something here so let me ping you for some suggestions...

I to have and use Premiere Pro and find it actually pretty easy to use, but even with my fairly high end rig it can be a bit stuttery scanning through the timeline. I have been using mp4's from my X5 and I'm wondering what you'd recommend to transcode to for editing.

And, just to be clear, are you talking about transcoding and then using those new files for all the editing or just the cutting phase? Are we talking proxy editing?

Brian

I use Premiere and it works fine so I'm not sure what you are on about, but there will always be people partial to one or another. For example, my experience with FCP was horrible but that's probably because my hardware was terrible.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unitedconveyormktg