- Apr 30, 2017
- Reaction score
The stunning Langhe in the Piemonte (Piedmont) region in Italy.
Piedmont, a region of Italy bordering France and Switzerland, sits at the foot of the Alps. It’s known for sophisticated cuisine and wines such as Barolo and the Tartufo Bianco (White truffle). Turin, the capital, has abundant baroque architecture and the monumental landmark Mole Antonelliana, with its soaring spire. The Automobile Museum is devoted to Turin’s main industry. The Egyptian Museum displays archaeological and anthropological collections.
Le Langhe (The Langhe). Langa is from old dialect Mons Langa et Bassa Langa) is a hilly area to the south and east of the river Tanaro in the province of Cuneo in Piedmont, northern Italy.
It is famous for its wines, cheeses, and truffles—particularly the white truffles of Alba. The countryside as it was in the first half of the 20th century features prominently in the writings of Beppe Fenoglio and Cesare Pavese, who was born there, in Santo Stefano Belbo.
On 22 June 2014, Langhe were inscribed on UNESCO World Heritage list. They bear witness to an extremely comprehensive social, rural and urban realm, and to sustainable economic structures. They include a multitude of harmonious built elements that bear witness to its history and its professional practices.
Its vineyards constitute an outstanding example of man’s interaction with his natural environment. The wine growing landscape also expresses great aesthetic qualities, making it into an archetype of European vineyards. Feature in the video are three gorgeous villages:
SERRALUNGA D'ALBA with the amazing castle that overlooks the town and hits the visitor for his gothic architecture. It's front is made of bricks with little arches. Few windows, and only at the top. The way in was guarded by a wide ditch, a rolling shutter and a drawbridge. Inside you can see still some fireplaces, wood ceilings and a chapel with frescoes. Slender and majestic, the Castle of Serralunga d'Alba overshadows one of the most beautiful and historically intact villages of the Langhe, surrounded by the hills of Barolo vineyards. Considered to be one of the best-conserved examples of 14th century noble castles in Piedmont, this castle represents a unique piece of history in Italy with an architecutral structure of a French donjon.
The castle's construction was carried out between 1340 – the year in which the Falletti family received its estate as recompense for military involvement – and 1357. This information is gleaned from documents that register a sale carried out in one of the castle rooms.
The fact that it was never the object of military importance nor was it structurally transformed over the centuries have kept this castle unaltered. Its Medieval fortress is, in fact, the original structure.
Instead of military use, this castle was used throughout the centuries as a point of control over the production activities in the territory, as evidenced by its imposing, vertical stance that was intended to emphasize the prestige of the Falletti family.
BOSSOLASCO is one of the main touristic centers of the Langhe. Set in a wonderful panoramic place, it’s the official site of the Mountain Community.
The historical center of the town has been decorated with thousands of roses, and in summer all balconies are enriched with flowers. Bossolasco is also known as the “Il PAESE DELLE ROSE” (Village of the roses)
The Balestrino castle, on the road to Murazzano, was built in 1600, while the parish church is a 14-century Gothic stone building.
The patronal fair takes place in June, on saint John the Baptist’s day.
PERLETTO is characterized by a tall medieval square tower, a trace of the ancient castle. The chapel of sant’Antonio (1100) is built in an austere Romanic style.
On the first Sunday in September the patronal fair is held; during the fair it’s possible to taste wonderful wines (Dolcetto and Moscato above all).
In the XII century the Commune of Asti occupied it for military reasons; later, it became a marquisade and had as its lords the Gorzegno di San Giorgio family. Perletto is also called The LANGHESHIRE pearl. It stands on the right side of the Bormida river, north of Cortemilia and 35 Kms away from Alba , Acqui Terme and Cairo Montenotte , in the center of the Langheshire .
The name of the town comes from the Latin Perlaetum (name which was found for the first time on a document dating back to 991 BC). The name means "Happy and Joyful Town".