Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

A Drone's View of Burning Man 2018 - Approved BRC Pilot - T600/X5/OSMO

Reaction score
This is the second of our 2 video series of this years Burning Man event, held in Black Rock City, Nevada, USA. Burning Man only allowed 30 pilots to fly this year, so we were very honored to be able to fly here once more.

Enjoy!

Reactions: Advexure
Very impressive but I am amazed that they permit any drones to fly over such a large public gathering ...

Very impressive but I am amazed that they permit any drones to fly over such a large public gathering ...

The Burning Man Safety Team (the crew that deal with all RC Aircraft at the burn) has a set of rules for UAV operations, and flying over large groups of people is on that rule sheet. Were able to use longer lenses then what smaller aircraft are able to use, so we can be nice and far back from people, but still look like were up in the action. The shot of center camp is actually captured from over 1800 feet away.

Burning Man Drone Rules

The Burning Man Safety Team (the crew that deal with all RC Aircraft at the burn) has a set of rules for UAV operations, and flying over large groups of people is on that rule sheet. Were able to use longer lenses then what smaller aircraft are able to use, so we can be nice and far back from people, but still look like were up in the action. The shot of center camp is actually captured from over 1800 feet away.

Burning Man Drone Rules

Hmm, the night shots at around 4:00 are clearly above parts of the crowd ...

Hmm, the night shots at around 4:00 are clearly above parts of the crowd ...

I think your talking about the clips around 3:00. There's typically a ring of people/bikes around the art pieces, we stay to the outside of that ring. Also, were not filming with the stock 15mm lens. Were using the Olympus 25mm, that acts more like a 50mm. So we look closer then we really are. I also have a pilot cam setup, that displays on a second monitor on my radio. It's possible were flying over one or two individuals here and there, but never over any large, or dense groups of people, or art pieces. The BRC Safety Team is patrolling the playa in vehicles, and bikes making sure the approved pilots are following the rules then confiscating aircraft of the pilots that aren't. We even had a member of the safety team comment in a different forum about how well we followed the rules they set forth, and we agreed to fly by. I can understand how it might be difficult to understand the aircraft's location, in respect to the view it captures.

Reactions: MrTVR
Burning man organizers can allow anything they want, but it doesn’t make it legal. You STILL need(ed) night time waiver and waiver to fly over people. I’m guessing you had that, but did the car rganizers require all 30 pilots to have those waivers?

If you DIDN’T have those, I probably wouldn’t promote the video..

Reactions: JaySmith1112
Complying to the rules and having waivers is a start but doesn't add a lot to real 'in/above the field' safety.
I hope you work with a crew of 3 or 4 people; pilot-cam man- 1or 2 spotters.
I would like to have a parachute/motor kill system on my uav for this kind of job.is suppose it's a quiet heavy hexa
In the footage i see you're not flying to high and not strait in the direction of the public ; and not over it. thats good.

Have fun, play safe

Reactions: JaySmith1112

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GroverBaez