Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

A GPS Tracker for beginners.

Reaction score
I know how important to keep secure of our drones. What might be the best GPS tracker for a beginner like me Any recommendations?
Feel Free to comment ;)

Hey treffin what particular tracking device did you use?
I'm using rcbeacon.com's "Lost Model" beacon. It's lightweight and easy to use albeit more of a beacon rather than a GPS type unit. The plus side of this is that it'll keep sending a signal for nearly a month on a standard CR-2032 battery. I'm an amateur radio operator as well so already had a couple of handhelds and a mobile rig (Yaesu Ft897D) that will easily track it. I've got them on both of my Inspires as well as on my phantom2 birds.
I had previously lost one of the p2's in a wooded area several years ago. We found it 4-5 months later with minimal damage sustained. Put another battery in her and she fired right up. I bought the tracking modules afterwards --of course. At least if it goes down again in similar circumstances, I'll have some time to find it with the long life beacon. They also sell a finder setup with directional antenna but if you already have all of that the modules are only $39 dollars (New Zealand currency). So it was easier in the bank account to order multiples. Besides many times I fly in areas that are sketchy for cell coverage. So that becomes a risk when relying on a GPS unit to call or txt with a location. This thing puts out a decent signal blip for tracking and gives an audible high pitched beep, every other transmit cycle (to save battery life). Good stuff!

BTW: My dog is a Jack Russell Terrorist...she owns all of the controllers and doesn't like to share. Lol

I'm using rcbeacon.com's "Lost Model" beacon. It's lightweight and easy to use albeit more of a beacon rather than a GPS type unit. The plus side of this is that it'll keep sending a signal for nearly a month on a standard CR-2032 battery. I'm an amateur radio operator as well so already had a couple of handhelds and a mobile rig (Yaesu Ft897D) that will easily track it. I've got them on both of my Inspires as well as on my phantom2 birds.
I had previously lost one of the p2's in a wooded area several years ago. We found it 4-5 months later with minimal damage sustained. Put another battery in her and she fired right up. I bought the tracking modules afterwards --of course. At least if it goes down again in similar circumstances, I'll have some time to find it with the long life beacon. They also sell a finder setup with directional antenna but if you already have all of that the modules are only $39 dollars (New Zealand currency). So it was easier in the bank account to order multiples. Besides many times I fly in areas that are sketchy for cell coverage. So that becomes a risk when relying on a GPS unit to call or txt with a location. This thing puts out a decent signal blip for tracking and gives an audible high pitched beep, every other transmit cycle (to save battery life). Good stuff!

BTW: My dog is a Jack Russell Terrorist...she owns all of the controllers and doesn't like to share. Lol

Okay got it! :) What about in urban areas with strong cell signal what can you recommend?

Lols:D

I actually still would go with the beacon. It's 433MHz signal is distinct enough to be tracked anywhere. And because an urban area may even take more search time, the beacon will last longer than comparable gps based trackers. Given the fact that at worst you basically have an educated guess on the general area where the bird landed (based on line of sight restrictions, last position recorded by the software, etc) I still like the beacon over any of the trackers I've tested...and I've got a full shelf of those in my office --everything from the gps dog collar type to the auto/vehicle type. I wouldn't bother putting those on my birds at all...too much weight and battery life is a problem with all of them.

David

I actually still would go with the beacon. It's 433MHz signal is distinct enough to be tracked anywhere. And because an urban area may even take more search time, the beacon will last longer than comparable gps based trackers. Given the fact that at worst you basically have an educated guess on the general area where the bird landed (based on line of sight restrictions, last position recorded by the software, etc) I still like the beacon over any of the trackers I've tested...and I've got a full shelf of those in my office --everything from the gps dog collar type to the auto/vehicle type. I wouldn't bother putting those on my birds at all...too much weight and battery life is a problem with all of them.

David

Owww okay thank you for your ideas treffin :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcusFalc