Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

A long 15 min flight (at 19 min)

Reaction score
These are test videos that are pretty boring, but you can infer real world flying results from them.

Here's my first video showing a hard under 500M limit and jello/vibration. You will notice there are shots showing vibration in the craft. Winds were under 5kt. Ambient temp 21F. Camera set at ISO 100, shutter around 180th/sec (could go no lower in the bright snow) with NF filter on.

There are some clear shots without vibration or jello, but not many. I flew under 8m/sec speeds.

You can also see the blurry spot if you look carefully... in 4K. The middle of the frame is a bit blurrier than the rest.

During this flight, there were issues with a 500M limit. You can see those two limits reached in this video. I had a mostly clear LOS to the aircraft when it was in the air, but not always. Around me were 5 close-spaced houses blasting Wifi signals out.

This video was graded with film convert, and only edited to cut some boring sky shots out where the craft was hovering.

The 2nd video, that flight went much better.

For this video I took it to a high school with at least 500M of open field with zero obstructions. And I started flying. I can see now my original location had some kind of interference that the P2 didn't get affected by. The greatest distance reached was 919M, and I could have gone further. I started getting low signal warnings around 900M in the first leg. I turned it around before it was lost.

Once I started flying towards the end of the field (in auto mode for the TX) I noticed the bandwidth changing. There would a blip as the app went lower, in stages. It reached the final stage right as the signal was weakest. This flight I would term more than acceptable performance, so the issue was the original location, not the drone. There's about 400M of suburban houses and 500M of open field. In an open space, I can imagine well over 1KM would be easy.

I do not understand this flight compared to the first one. It certainly allayed my fears. However- though much of it was open field, the 2nd half practically mirrored the type of location and distance I flew in the first set of sorties. Same kind of houses, with their wifi and so forth. It's almost like the first location has some active jamming going on.

This was filmed at ISO 100, NO ND, at 1/50 shutter in 4K/30.

Last edited:
Wow!! 19 minutes for the flight, and in cold weather too! And this must have been with the normal capacity battery -- the larger ones aren't released yet. That's very promising! I have a P2 with Lightbridge, and I get 11 minutes per flight, so having longer flight times is a real motivation for me to upgrade to the I1.

The Lightbridge I have is very touchy. Sometimes it works perfectly out to 2500 meters, and other times it won't even send a signal from 100 meters, from the same location (my front yard). I live in rural California. Do you have airplane mode enabled for your tablet? I've found having it disabled can help a lot.

Reactions: lrwskyfilms
I just did two flights in the mid/low 30's at 6700'. I took the batteries down to 15% and got 13 minutes for each flight. That was better than what I previously got at temps in the 50's and at 6300', 12 minutes. I get more when I fly in Las Vegas at 2500' and temps in the 70's.

Reactions: lrwskyfilms
Wow!! 19 minutes for the flight, and in cold weather too! And this must have been with the normal capacity battery -- the larger ones aren't released yet. That's very promising! I have a P2 with Lightbridge, and I get 11 minutes per flight, so having longer flight times is a real motivation for me to upgrade to the I1.

The Lightbridge I have is very touchy. Sometimes it works perfectly out to 2500 meters, and other times it won't even send a signal from 100 meters, from the same location (my front yard). I live in rural California. Do you have airplane mode enabled for your tablet? I've found having it disabled can help a lot.

It wasn't a 19 min flight. It's 19 minutes of video. :) It was around 15 min of flight at 30fps (take off to landing), then conformed to 24fps which slowed it down a bit for effect.

Still, 15 min at under 32 degrees F is very good. My P2 gets around 12 min before I have to land it. (with iOSD mini and AVL-58).

Yeah I have airplane mode enabled.

Thank you very much for letting me know how the LB works. It seems sensitive, this technology. I wonder why?

Reactions: DjiQuadzilla
Ah, okay then that's more in line with what TahoeEd said. :) I was wondering why there was such a big difference! Still, the larger batteries available should add ~25% of flight time, so that will be several minutes longer than what I can achieve with the P2, and with a faster flight speed so less time to travel too and from filming location.

I don't know why DJI's transmission technology is so touchy -- when it works well it's amazing, and other times it just doesn't want to play ball.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlberthaLo