Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Active Track / Spotlight

Reaction score
Any1 curious on how the active track / spotlight is on 'The Deuce' ? I am curious why the objects on the side seem jumpy while the vehicle remained in focus and steady?

Do the I2/P4s/etc... use software to keep subject centered in focus which cause the jumpiness ? I'll make and upload add'l vid's if anyone is interested, still cutting my teeth on the add'l functions ~

(and before any jokes about our Roads in Alabama . . . that is a MAIN road that we goto work and church on ! Instead of using federal monies for roads, we spend that on our Football Coaches . . . Roll Tide ~ )

I am curious why the objects on the side seem jumpy while the vehicle remained in focus and steady?

The vehicle is travelling at essentially the same speed/direction as the camera so it is effectively a still subject. The trees are moving by quickly. What was your frame rate and shutter speed?

Reactions: DECinHSV
Objective avoidance doesn't work on these modes? What!? I would think this is were you would want to use them!

Objective avoidance doesn't work on these modes? What!? I would think this is were you would want to use them!

I believe avoidance works with ActiveTrack "Trace" mode (only) but not "Profile" mode and not with Spotlight Pro. Essentially, If the bird isn't facing forward she can't see. :) - Vision sensors on the front but not sides or back.

4k/60 was the video mode. (I'll go back and check and update if thats not correct) As for the object avoidance . . . I read where it will, but UNLESS my eyes decieved me, my deuce would have hit that small limb if I didn't take over to avoid it. I love y'all and everything, but wasnt going to test it out ;). I was standing almost underneath it and had already confirmed my altitude (objectively) with about that height. I will run another test . . . maybe I am wrong, but I heard no audible and I'm sure it was not changing paths as I expected it would

4k/60 was the video mode. (I'll go back and check and update if thats not correct) As for the object avoidance . . . I read where it will, but UNLESS my eyes decieved me, my deuce would have hit that small limb if I didn't take over to avoid it. I love y'all and everything, but wasnt going to test it out ;). I was standing almost underneath it and had already confirmed my altitude (objectively) with about that height. I will run another test . . . maybe I am wrong, but I heard no audible and I'm sure it was not changing paths as I expected it would

Hi Dec,

It sounds like you were using both ActiveTrack and Spotlight. I believe ActiveTrack alone (in Trace mode) will use avoidance but if Spotlight is used it will not. 60 FPS, got it. What was the shutter speed? Was the project also 60 FPS? I saw that you noted 120% speed. You may want to check the original clip to see if the jutter is there. BTW it looks like the I2 did a solid job of tracking the truck, even with branch interference. Impressive!

I believe avoidance works with ActiveTrack "Trace" mode (only) but not "Profile" mode and not with Spotlight Pro. Essentially, If the bird isn't facing forward she can't see. :) - Vision sensors on the front but not sides or back.

Ya I guess that makes sense... but that brings me back to why don't they just make these things total 360 object avoidance... sure it ismall about the money as the next model will have it:rolleyes:

This also bring me to a question I had... does the bird just stop when using object avoidance? I always just figured it would avoid the object and continue to track! Now that is true autonomous flight! Does it do that? Again the videos I have seen on like the mavic just show it stoping

Reactions: Lesmess
Ya I guess that makes sense... but that brings me back to why don't they just make these things total 360 object avoidance... sure it ismall about the money as the next model will have it:rolleyes:

This also bring me to a question I had... does the bird just stop when using object avoidance? I always just figured it would avoid the object and continue to track! Now that is true autonomous flight! Does it do that? Again the videos I have seen on like the mavic just show it stoping
Most users who will be using this platform professionally will just turn all the object avoidance rubbish off - it just gets in the way of a shot and has been proved many times, just not reliable (not to count on saving your aircraft anyway).
Although the technology and theory is great, DJI still have some way to go before it can be called a trustworthy and failsafe system.
At the moment, it kicks in far too early when trying to do slow cinematic shots' and can be fooled easily by just the sun in the sky and nothing else around it!
Anyone using these on set will just disable everything because they will be swearing at it more times than they actually use it.

Ya I definitely see how that would not work well with "getting the shot"...
So I'm I right in that all of DJI's platforms will just stop and not make corrections to the current flight path to continue to "go around the object"?
I read that when using the RTH function that it would use the sensors to make corrections on the fly when it encountered something in its path... so is that the only mode that the object avoidance works in that way?

Most users who will be using this platform professionally will just turn all the object avoidance rubbish off - it just gets in the way of a shot and has been proved many times, just not reliable (not to count on saving your aircraft anyway).
Although the technology and theory is great, DJI still have some way to go before it can be called a trustworthy and failsafe system.
At the moment, it kicks in far too early when trying to do slow cinematic shots' and can be fooled easily by just the sun in the sky and nothing else around it!
Anyone using these on set will just disable everything because they will be swearing at it more times than they actually use it.
It can be useful sometimes:

Ya I definitely see how that would not work well with "getting the shot"...
So I'm I right in that all of DJI's platforms will just stop and not make corrections to the current flight path to continue to "go around the object"?
I read that when using the RTH function that it would use the sensors to make corrections on the fly when it encountered something in its path... so is that the only mode that the object avoidance works in that way?
You have to enable the "go around" in the settings. The drone has the ability to go over and around obstacles if you enable it.

Reactions: Lesmess
It's not going over and around. Only around. When you find this option don't turn it on. You'll smash yourself sideways.

Wow, look at all those options. With the drone powered down many of those are not there. I am going to have to run through the whole app again powered up. Thank you!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GRQLarae44