Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Advances on "Drone Origin Security Enhancement Act"

Reaction score
And... Here's Your Sign....
What was thought to most likely die through House or Senate, both have bills have cleared the 1st level within their committees.
A BAN for several US Govt (non-military) Agencies to purchase or retain drones or drone components made by a list of Countries.
This effects the Drones, electronics, gimbals, cameras, etc made by or associated by countries on the BAN List.
This is targeted primarily at China and their associated countries and focused on DJI that holds roughly 70% market share.
But, this effects ALL Chinese companies... that includes Yuneec, Autel, etc... and so far no exception granted for "Govt Edition" platforms.
It's NOT brand focused anywhere...it's Country focused.... and several Non-China companies use China camera components or have some electronics manufactured in China to reduce manufacturing costs.

House Committee Advances “Drone Origin Security Enhancement Act”: What That Means
A proposed drone bill that would ban some U.S. government agencies from purchasing drones manufactured in certain countries – including China – has unanimously passed the House Homeland Se
dronelife.com
dronelife.com

House committee advances drone legislation
The House Homeland Security Committee on Wednesday unanimously voted to advance two bills related to drones, blocking purchases of them from certain countries and creating a position at the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) to counter associat
thehill.com
thehill.com

Crenshaw’s Bipartisan Drone Legislation Advances Through Homeland Security Committee

Summary of H.R. 4753: Drone Origin Security Enhancement Act - GovTrack.us
Summary of H.R. 4753: Drone Origin Security Enhancement Act
www.govtrack.us
www.govtrack.us

And... Here's Your Sign....
What was thought to most likely die through House or Senate, both have bills have cleared the 1st level within their committees.
A BAN for several US Govt (non-military) Agencies to purchase or retain drones or drone components made by a list of Countries.
This effects the Drones, electronics, gimbals, cameras, etc made by or associated by countries on the BAN List.
This is targeted primarily at China and their associated countries and focused on DJI that holds roughly 70% market share.
But, this effects ALL Chinese companies... that includes Yuneec, Autel, etc... and so far no exception granted for "Govt Edition" platforms.
It's NOT brand focused anywhere...it's Country focused.... and several Non-China companies use China camera components or have some electronics manufactured in China to reduce manufacturing costs.

House Committee Advances “Drone Origin Security Enhancement Act”: What That Means
A proposed drone bill that would ban some U.S. government agencies from purchasing drones manufactured in certain countries – including China – has unanimously passed the House Homeland Se
dronelife.com
dronelife.com

House committee advances drone legislation
The House Homeland Security Committee on Wednesday unanimously voted to advance two bills related to drones, blocking purchases of them from certain countries and creating a position at the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) to counter associat
thehill.com
thehill.com

Crenshaw’s Bipartisan Drone Legislation Advances Through Homeland Security Committee

Summary of H.R. 4753: Drone Origin Security Enhancement Act - GovTrack.us
Summary of H.R. 4753: Drone Origin Security Enhancement Act
www.govtrack.us
www.govtrack.us

It is what it is. Commenting any further would violate the forums community rules because this is clearly a political move but it is expected and a sign of the times....well done Congress <and for those of you who are oblivious to sarcasm, that my friend....is sarcasm; take note>

It is what it is. Commenting any further would violate the forums community rules because this is clearly a political move but it is expected and a sign of the times....well done Congress <and for those of you who are oblivious to sarcasm, that my friend....is sarcasm; take note>
I'd agree in many ways...
I placed this in another forum as well... and added a little additional comments.
I"ll paste it in for added discussion points....

A China BAN on any electronic UAV components will be a hard hit... as similar to Apple and several USA companies, I'm sure seversl sUAV companies are having various parts made in China to reduce cost. It could be a larger BAN than realized... those that feel the trade disputs added cost... it won't compare to having to manufacture all the components outside of China controlled markets & countries.

I think DJI saw it in the Tea Leaves too; and why DJI has been prepping USA and other countries owned buildings for manufacturing & assembly... a few more production modules and they could meet the USA made specs using other countries and relocating various facilities and Staff. That depends on desired market... If Fed Govt is in cross hairs... if so, you'll see a new "Brand" in next 1-2 years that looks and smells like DJI.

I see it more impacting to a lot of other companies. Yuneec was hoping their Govt Ed H520G would be a salvation market for them... they'll most likely loose that prospect and high margin profits.

Similar to Kaspersky... got (wrongly) booted from Fed Govt but remains market leader and consistent winner of accomplishments & awards... and their labs still Dx for Govt approved products. Just saying if Fed Govt isn't your primary market... it's a sore spot but not a critical business impact. If the Fed Govt was a solution to survival, it's a potential devastating impact.

(additional paste of my comments in other forum)

Plus... if these "Bills" fly as justified... then reality would be any data handling electronics that could be attacked next.

The Alexa, Google devices are manufactured where? The various phones, tablets, smart TVs electronics made where... and the Big Boy Cisco Network Hardware primarily in every company... those circuits manufactured all in USA... don't think so. The Kaspersky engine was in basically every high level Switch or Router... that was a small problem to correct compared to Chinese made US Spec components.

Similar to Kaspersky... got (wrongly) booted from Fed Govt but remains market leader and consistent winner of accomplishments & awards... and their labs still Dx for Govt approved products. Just saying if Fed Govt isn't your primary market... it's a sore spot but not a critical business impact. If the Fed Govt was a solution to survival, it's a potential devastating impact.

Using this as an example, who profited from it? Clearly the company who I will not name has a good product as well but they also have the distinction of being an American company (although they too do a lot of outsourcing of jobs (potential security issues?)). So bring this home and look at the UAS side of the equation. Who is going to profit? Because after all, its all about the money here....

Using this as an example, who profited from it? Clearly the company who I will not name has a good product as well but they also have the distinction of being an American company (although they too do a lot of outsourcing of jobs (potential security issues?)). So bring this home and look at the UAS side of the equation. Who is going to profit? Because after all, its all about the money here....
As an American company, actually it is and founded in America, it was just as American as the other company that got the new contract, and if you look into their cyber staff, I'm sure you find a lot of solvic heritages. That was the subject matter; In a similarity of wrongful behavior in WWII where we contained any US Citizen with Asian heritage. If you know the store of Kaspersky, he took a heck of a journey to become an American citizen. He openly supported several USA Govt Security agencies & Military for years on the cyber technology he brought from Russia, built probably the most detailed Diagnostic lab and later an end-point product. His "engines" were so advanced, practically every enterprise device made by the Industry leaders incorporated into the Firmware. His products are highly recognized as leading technology, wins multiple awards and personally I feel the best "running & performer" End-Point Agent.

During the ordeal, He openly offered & provided total source code to Govt and they had no interest to examine. Just declare without validation that their was a possibility of compromise and data sharing... why, because of his birthplace and education. Despite all the work he did over years directly with our security agencies.

I've found over the years, when someone takes all the steps & actions despite all the efforts of the departing Govt attempting to block & destroy. These individuals normally have an extreme loyalty and love of the USA, they've come from a life they so desired to leave, they often have an appreciation of US Citizenship greater than those that don't know or appreciate the difference.

Kaspersky Company took a short run dip in economic strength, but bounced back.
So who in my opinion lost... it certainly wasn't Kaspersky.

Jump forward to UAV components or electronics for UAV associated to Chinese manufacturing.
In "Comparison" to other electronics: I still fail to see the severity of a short range craft that is always off & inactive unless operating by 15-30 minute battery, that's able to collect images of basically the same that public sourced satellites (ie: Google Maps). Or the aerial data that any observation aircraft could collect freely without legal cause to block.
Compare that to an Alexa listening all day in a board room, or sitting in a study of a CEO. Compare to various TV or electronics that sit physically in a sensitive rooms, or all the phones.. are any Phones now made with 100% non-chineese components?

I'd be more concerned with the Chinese NON-UAV electronics.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marve84