Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Airline travel with Inspire 2, GPC Landing mode, 8-16 TB50 batteries?

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm possibly traveling from Los Angeles to San Antonio with my Inspire 2 setup. I'm curious if anyone has traveled with their Inspire drone on domestic flights that can share their professional opinion.

What drone did you travel with?

What kind of case did you use? DJI factory OEM case? GPC landing mode case? Or travel mode case?

And how many batteries maximum did you travel with?

Reactions: AtortAerials
Hi,

I'm possibly traveling from Los Angeles to San Antonio with my Inspire 2 setup. I'm curious if anyone has traveled with their Inspire drone on domestic flights that can share their professional opinion.

What drone did you travel with?

What kind of case did you use? DJI factory OEM case? GPC landing mode case? Or travel mode case?

And how many batteries maximum did you travel with?
I just recently bought an Inspire 2 and was really having a hard time with cases knowing which to buy.....so I bought them all! lol So I started with the GPC landing mode case and man that thing was BIG! Really on the verge of being annoyingly big to carry solo and even though it had decent wheels lugging down and up steps for example just was annoying. I also was told that you could leave the camera on the drone, etc. for short trips and stuff and later doing research and talking to others with Inspire 2's it seems leaving anything gimbal or lens wise on the drone when moving any distance is not a good move with how delicate they are. So I looked into the GPC travel mode case and the dimensions were just that much less than the landing mode case and really it's like 3 seconds to press the button 5 times or whatever so really no big deal at all. And that smaller footprint made this case so much more manageable than the landing mode case best move I ever did. I was dreading moving the landing mode case to my car and really was keeping me from wanting to fly it because such a pain in the butt to lug around. The travel mode one is more compact and can basically carry solo pretty easily and shaved off just enough to make it doable. Travel mode for the win and it's called travel mode for a reason right! It fits everything nicely too....basically 8 batteries and props and the drone and two 7.85" crystal sky controllers and more. I also talked with DJI Arizona their enterprise division where I purchased it from and they told me they always guide their buyers to go with the landing mode case for whatever that is worth too. But as I said the shaved down size of the travel mode case although not a ton is a game changer for bringing your I2 around comfortably solo. Hope this helps. I would also travel with as many sets as you have if you have lots then at least 4 sets 3 minimum and bring the car charger. Aloha

Reactions: juntang00
TB50s are 97.58 watt hours. Under 100. You can have unlimited under 100 wH batteries in carry on luggage. On the back of the battery it's on the upper section middle of last line. I would put them in a flame proof bag and have them separate from the rest of your carryon when you check in. And maybe a printout of the FAA regulations with them with 100 wH highlighted.

You can have ZERO loose batteries in luggage you check in. If you check in your I2 you can only have batteries mounted on the drone. None loose in the case.

Some other helpful tips:

FAA Guidlines:

Last edited:
Reactions: niki and juntang00
I just recently bought an Inspire 2 and was really having a hard time with cases knowing which to buy.....so I bought them all! lol So I started with the GPC landing mode case and man that thing was BIG! Really on the verge of being annoyingly big to carry solo and even though it had decent wheels lugging down and up steps for example just was annoying. I also was told that you could leave the camera on the drone, etc. for short trips and stuff and later doing research and talking to others with Inspire 2's it seems leaving anything gimbal or lens wise on the drone when moving any distance is not a good move with how delicate they are. So I looked into the GPC travel mode case and the dimensions were just that much less than the landing mode case and really it's like 3 seconds to press the button 5 times or whatever so really no big deal at all. And that smaller footprint made this case so much more manageable than the landing mode case best move I ever did. I was dreading moving the landing mode case to my car and really was keeping me from wanting to fly it because such a pain in the butt to lug around. The travel mode one is more compact and can basically carry solo pretty easily and shaved off just enough to make it doable. Travel mode for the win and it's called travel mode for a reason right! It fits everything nicely too....basically 8 batteries and props and the drone and two 7.85" crystal sky controllers and more. I also talked with DJI Arizona their enterprise division where I purchased it from and they told me they always guide their buyers to go with the landing mode case for whatever that is worth too. But as I said the shaved down size of the travel mode case although not a ton is a game changer for bringing your I2 around comfortably solo. Hope this helps. I would also travel with as many sets as you have if you have lots then at least 4 sets 3 minimum and bring the car charger. Aloha
That’s good to know!

I have the Landing mode case and it really is a burden to lug around. Good to know the travel mode case helps a lot.

Hey fellas, where do you carry the Remote Controllers? As they have batteries they should be in the carry on luggage, right?
My understanding is built in batteries and batteries that are installed in their device are fine as they are highly unlikely to short and blow up in that state. It’s loose batteries that have to be in the carry on since the terminals can touch something and short out.

My understanding is built in batteries and batteries that are installed in their device are fine as they are highly unlikely to short and blow up in that state. It’s loose batteries that have to be in the carry on since the terminals can touch something and short out.
Isn't the changes in air pressure and the temperature in the cargo that could make a battery with slowen cell to ignite? My understanding is that if battery catches fire in the cargo it will be very difficult to register on time and react, that's why the batteries are required to be in the cabin where if something happens the flight attendants can react and extiguish it. I havent heard for burned remote controllers but there are a lot of laptops around the world that had that fate.

So I found what I looked for, according the airline I'm gonna use AegianAir, any electronic devices with installed lithium batteries can be carried only in the cabin, the battery of such device cannot exceed 100wh and such device cannot be carried in the checked luggage. It seem that our fancy travel cases will contain only the drone and some small accessories while all batteries and RC's should be carry in the cabin. This goes to be very fun as we travel with 2 drones and 2 red's 😅

From the USA horse's mouth (the FAA)

Lithium batteries with 100 watt hours or less in a device​

Carry On Bags: Yes
Checked Bags: Yes (Special Instructions)

Spare (uninstalled) lithium ion and lithium metal batteries, including power banks and cell phone battery charging cases, must be carried in carry-on baggage only. Lithium metal (non-rechargeable) batteries are limited to 2 grams of lithium per battery. Lithium ion (rechargeable) batteries are limited to a rating of 100 watt hours (Wh) per battery. These limits allow for nearly all types of lithium batteries used by the average person in their electronic devices.
This instruction covers spare lithium metal and spare rechargeable lithium ion batteries for personal electronics such as cameras, cell phones, laptop computers, tablets, watches, calculators, etc. This instruction also includes external battery chargers (portable rechargers and power banks) containing a lithium ion battery. For more information, see the FAA regulations on batteries.
For lithium batteries that are installed in a device (laptop, cell phone, camera, etc.), see FAA regulations for "portable electronic devices, containing batteries".

Lithium batteries with more than 100 watt hours​

Carry On Bags: Yes (Special Instructions)
Checked Bags: No
Spare (uninstalled) lithium ion and lithium metal batteries, including power banks and cell phone battery charging cases, must be carried in carry-on baggage only.
With airline approval, passengers may also carry up to two spare larger lithium ion batteries (101–160 Wh) or lithium metal batteries (2-8 grams). This size covers the larger after-market extended-life laptop computer batteries and some larger batteries used in professional audio/visual equipment. There is a limit of two spare batteries per person for the larger lithium ion batteries described above (101–160 watt hours per battery. For more information, see the FAA regulations on batteries.
This instruction covers spare lithium metal and spare rechargeable lithium ion batteries for personal electronics such as cameras, cell phones, laptop computers, tablets, watches, calculators, etc. This instruction also includes external battery chargers (portable rechargers and power banks) containing a lithium ion battery. For lithium batteries that are installed in a device (laptop, cell phone, camera, etc.), see FAA regulations for "portable electronic devices, containing batteries."

US Department of Transportation

Batteries​

Traveling Restrictions based on Type of Battery
Type Of Battery/BatteriesIn Checked BaggageIn Carry-On Baggage
Lithium Ion Battery installed in hoverboard
Lithium-Ion Battery, installed in a device (more than 100 but less than 160 watt-hours). Operator approval required.

Lithium-Ion Battery, installed in a device (more than 160 watt-hours).
Permitted

Forbidden
Permitted

Forbidden
e-Cigarette lithium ion battery
Electronic smoking devices Lithium metal battery (up to 2 grams lithium), lithium ion battery (up to 100 Wh). Charging not permitted on the aircraftForbiddenPermitted
Lithium ion battery installed in camera
Lithium Metal Battery, installed in a device (up to 2 grams lithium)PermittedPermitted
Spare lithium metal battery
Spare Lithium Metal Battery, not installed in a device (up to 2 grams lithium)ForbiddenPermitted
Large spare lithium metal battery
Lithium Metal Battery, spare or installed (over 2 grams lithium)ForbiddenForbidden
Lithium Ion battery installed in phone
Lithium-Ion Battery, installed in a device (up to 100 watt-hours )PermittedPermitted
Spare lithium ion battery
Spare Lithium-Ion Battery, not installed in a device (up to 100 watt-hours)ForbiddenPermitted
spare lithium ion battery for laptop
Up to 2 Spare Lithium-Ion Batteries, not installed in a device (more than 100 but less than 160 watt-hours) Operator approval required.ForbiddenPermitted
Lithium ion battery installed in device
Lithium-Ion Battery, installed in a device (more than 100 but less than 160 watt-hours). Operator approval required.PermittedPermitted

Reactions: niki
From the USA horse's mouth (the FAA)

Lithium batteries with 100 watt hours or less in a device​

Carry On Bags: Yes
Checked Bags: Yes (Special Instructions)

Spare (uninstalled) lithium ion and lithium metal batteries, including power banks and cell phone battery charging cases, must be carried in carry-on baggage only. Lithium metal (non-rechargeable) batteries are limited to 2 grams of lithium per battery. Lithium ion (rechargeable) batteries are limited to a rating of 100 watt hours (Wh) per battery. These limits allow for nearly all types of lithium batteries used by the average person in their electronic devices.
This instruction covers spare lithium metal and spare rechargeable lithium ion batteries for personal electronics such as cameras, cell phones, laptop computers, tablets, watches, calculators, etc. This instruction also includes external battery chargers (portable rechargers and power banks) containing a lithium ion battery. For more information, see the FAA regulations on batteries.
For lithium batteries that are installed in a device (laptop, cell phone, camera, etc.), see FAA regulations for "portable electronic devices, containing batteries".

Lithium batteries with more than 100 watt hours​

Carry On Bags: Yes (Special Instructions)
Checked Bags: No
Spare (uninstalled) lithium ion and lithium metal batteries, including power banks and cell phone battery charging cases, must be carried in carry-on baggage only.
With airline approval, passengers may also carry up to two spare larger lithium ion batteries (101–160 Wh) or lithium metal batteries (2-8 grams). This size covers the larger after-market extended-life laptop computer batteries and some larger batteries used in professional audio/visual equipment. There is a limit of two spare batteries per person for the larger lithium ion batteries described above (101–160 watt hours per battery. For more information, see the FAA regulations on batteries.
This instruction covers spare lithium metal and spare rechargeable lithium ion batteries for personal electronics such as cameras, cell phones, laptop computers, tablets, watches, calculators, etc. This instruction also includes external battery chargers (portable rechargers and power banks) containing a lithium ion battery. For lithium batteries that are installed in a device (laptop, cell phone, camera, etc.), see FAA regulations for "portable electronic devices, containing batteries."

US Department of Transportation

Batteries​

Traveling Restrictions based on Type of Battery
Type Of Battery/BatteriesIn Checked BaggageIn Carry-On Baggage
Lithium Ion Battery installed in hoverboard
Lithium-Ion Battery, installed in a device (more than 100 but less than 160 watt-hours). Operator approval required.

Lithium-Ion Battery, installed in a device (more than 160 watt-hours).
Permitted

Forbidden
Permitted

Forbidden
e-Cigarette lithium ion battery
Electronic smoking devices Lithium metal battery (up to 2 grams lithium), lithium ion battery (up to 100 Wh). Charging not permitted on the aircraftForbiddenPermitted
Lithium ion battery installed in camera
Lithium Metal Battery, installed in a device (up to 2 grams lithium)PermittedPermitted
Spare lithium metal battery
Spare Lithium Metal Battery, not installed in a device (up to 2 grams lithium)ForbiddenPermitted
Large spare lithium metal battery
Lithium Metal Battery, spare or installed (over 2 grams lithium)ForbiddenForbidden
Lithium Ion battery installed in phone
Lithium-Ion Battery, installed in a device (up to 100 watt-hours )PermittedPermitted
Spare lithium ion battery
Spare Lithium-Ion Battery, not installed in a device (up to 100 watt-hours)ForbiddenPermitted
spare lithium ion battery for laptop
Up to 2 Spare Lithium-Ion Batteries, not installed in a device (more than 100 but less than 160 watt-hours) Operator approval required.ForbiddenPermitted
Lithium ion battery installed in device
Lithium-Ion Battery, installed in a device (more than 100 but less than 160 watt-hours). Operator approval required.PermittedPermitted

This is good info but is only for USA, I'm traveling in Europe and as shown abowe in my post according the airline I'm going to use it is forbiden to have any electronics containing lithium batteries in the cargo of the plane. But even FAA says it's possible in certain conditions the airline carrier can have it's own safety rules.

This is good info but is only for USA, I'm traveling in Europe and as shown abowe in my post according the airline I'm going to use it is forbiden to have any electronics containing lithium batteries in the cargo of the plane. But even FAA says it's possible in certain conditions the airline carrier can have it's own safety rules.
Yea sorry, typical American I know, I forget the rules are different overseas

OP said they we're traveling in the USA so I posted USA information and even said it was from the USA Horse's mouth. But you know, rather than saying it didn't this response to a USA post didn't apply to you you could have maybe said what your rules are. So here I posted them:

The following items are only allowed into the passenger cabin of the plane:​

Electronics Devices
Electronic cigarettes
You can carry electronic cigarettes including e-cigars and other personal vaporizers containing batteries, for personal use, in your carry-on baggage only. It is prohibited to include electronic cigarettes in checked baggage.

Recharging of these devices and/or batteries on board the aircraft is not permitted and you must take measures to prevent accidental activation.

Spare/loose batteries, including lithium batteries, non-spillable batteries, nickel-metal hydride batteries and dry batteries for portable electronic devices (articles which have the primary purpose as a power source, e.g. lithium metal or lithium ion cells or batteries; power banks are considered as spare batteries as well) must be individually protected to prevent short circuits by placing them in the original retail packaging or by otherwise insulating terminals, e.g. by taping over exposed terminals or placing each battery in a separate plastic bag or protective pouch, and carried in carry-on baggage only.

In addition, lithium batteries are subject to the following conditions:

For spare/loose batteries: Each person is limited to a maximum of 20 spare batteries with a Watt-hour rating up to 100 Wh or with a lithium content up to 2g.

Non spillable batteries must be 12 V or less and 100Wh or less. Each person is limited to a maximum of 2 spare batteries.

Passengers may carry lithium portable electronic devices and spare batteries up to 160Whs or lithium content up to 8gs, only with prior approval of the operator.

For batteries installed in a device (portable electronic devices, including personal medical devices, such as nebulisers, portable oxygen concentrators:
a) The Watt-hour rating of lithium ion batteries must be up to 100.
b) The lithium metal content of lithium metal batteries must be up to 2 g.

Recharging of batteries on board is not permitted.

OP said they we're traveling in the USA so I posted USA information and even said it was from the USA Horse's mouth. But you know, rather than saying it didn't this response to a USA post didn't apply to you you could have maybe said what your rules are. So here I posted them:

The following items are only allowed into the passenger cabin of the plane:​

Electronics Devices
Electronic cigarettes
You can carry electronic cigarettes including e-cigars and other personal vaporizers containing batteries, for personal use, in your carry-on baggage only. It is prohibited to include electronic cigarettes in checked baggage.

Recharging of these devices and/or batteries on board the aircraft is not permitted and you must take measures to prevent accidental activation.

Spare/loose batteries, including lithium batteries, non-spillable batteries, nickel-metal hydride batteries and dry batteries for portable electronic devices (articles which have the primary purpose as a power source, e.g. lithium metal or lithium ion cells or batteries; power banks are considered as spare batteries as well) must be individually protected to prevent short circuits by placing them in the original retail packaging or by otherwise insulating terminals, e.g. by taping over exposed terminals or placing each battery in a separate plastic bag or protective pouch, and carried in carry-on baggage only.

In addition, lithium batteries are subject to the following conditions:

For spare/loose batteries: Each person is limited to a maximum of 20 spare batteries with a Watt-hour rating up to 100 Wh or with a lithium content up to 2g.

Non spillable batteries must be 12 V or less and 100Wh or less. Each person is limited to a maximum of 2 spare batteries.

Passengers may carry lithium portable electronic devices and spare batteries up to 160Whs or lithium content up to 8gs, only with prior approval of the operator.

For batteries installed in a device (portable electronic devices, including personal medical devices, such as nebulisers, portable oxygen concentrators:
a) The Watt-hour rating of lithium ion batteries must be up to 100.
b) The lithium metal content of lithium metal batteries must be up to 2 g.

Recharging of batteries on board is not permitted.
Dude, the op was asking 1 year ago! I have posted in this thread to avoid multiple posts on the same matter.
If you read what I posted, you will see that I already posted what are the aegian air rules. No need to double the information in the thread.
And as you can see, any batteries are forbiden in the cargo for this airline.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
klrshopfitters