Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Almost lost her!!!

Okay whew. If you were fighting it in ATTI, that's enough for me to ground the bird. Scary and very glad you were able to recover. Reading these fly aways brings up a lot of questions. Seasoned pilots should be able to recover by ATTI and not have an issue as long as we have LOS (which you should always have in my opinion - not going to preach that topic :rolleyes: ). I feel for the new pilots though. Actually, mixed feelings to be honest. If the general populous of Inspire owners are new pilots they (my opinion) :
A - Need to buy a simulator ASAP and practice orientation and flight under NON GPS mode - Hell, get proficient in flying a helicopter on the SIM.
B - Fly a smaller, indoor multi rotor and get proficient flying a non gps multi rotor.
C - Reconsider flying your Inspire until you feel comfortable flying non GPS assist.

Okay - off my soap box. Thanks again for your posts and REALLY glad you got your Inspire back.

Okay whew. If you were fighting it in ATTI, that's enough for me to ground the bird. Scary and very glad you were able to recover. Reading these fly aways brings up a lot of questions. Seasoned pilots should be able to recover by ATTI and not have an issue as long as we have LOS (which you should always have in my opinion - not going to preach that topic :rolleyes: ). I feel for the new pilots though. Actually, mixed feelings to be honest. If the general populous of Inspire owners are new pilots they (my opinion) :
A - Need to buy a simulator ASAP and practice orientation and flight under NON GPS mode - Hell, get proficient in flying a helicopter on the SIM.
B - Fly a smaller, indoor multi rotor and get proficient flying a non gps multi rotor.
C - Reconsider flying your Inspire until you feel comfortable flying non GPS assist.

Okay - off my soap box. Thanks again for your posts and REALLY glad you got your Inspire back.
You're very welcome I agree with everything you said above! And LOS is key if I didn't have it I would have been toast! That's how I noticed it was taking off on me. Speed jumped up and altitude as well.

Reactions: Mazz

I totally agree. ATTI is the way to go. It's not that difficult to fly in ATTI if you understand it and pay attention to what you're doing. I like GPS, but under the current FW, it's not dependable enough to rely on IMHO.

Reactions: DjiQuadzilla
Speaking of GPS issues...

Just did a quick chat session with DJI Inspire support. I asked about a firmware update to address GPS dropout issues. They said to expect an update in a few days.

See, this is what happens when you name your bird The Beast...it becomes untamable.

Really sorry to hear about this near fly-away. I hope there is useful info in your log that DJI can use to troubleshoot this for everyone. Thanks for sharing. I know you'll keep us updated.
Lol mines Quadzilla I will definitely keep you updated

Hey Quadzilla, so are you permanently grounded??
Well I'm sitting here patiently awaiting on ANY kind of word from DJI on my loGs and the next step.... Return? Ok to fly? Wait on new firmware ? Just a hello would be nice lol I have called DJI and they said to wait on Tahoe Ed to get back with me but no luck yet. And to top it off strained my back at work so I am physically grounded too lol

Reactions: Shakyamuni Films
Well I'm sitting here patiently awaiting on ANY kind of word from DJI on my loGs and the next step.... Return? Ok to fly? Wait on new firmware ? Just a hello would be nice lol I have called DJI and they said to wait on Tahoe Ed to get back with me but no luck yet. And to top it off strained my back at work so I am physically grounded too lol
That is unfortunate, my friend.
Please let us know all the updates!
I hope everything turns out good for you!

Haha ouch
man, your just having a fantastic week.

Sorry to read this mate, hope you get it sorted ASAP, as said before if you weren't such a experienced pilot you've could of lost it. Best of luck!

I can't determine if the pilot switched to ATTI or not (in this thread and others). Have any fly away's occurred in ATTI? That's my big concern. I mostly fly ATTI. I use GPS for a hold while I fiddle with the App or to take pictures.

So that's the question of day; are ATTI flyways occurring also?

p.s. Also glad to hear you saved her. Whew!

It said he switch to ATTI to recover

Last edited:
Oh no I bet you heart was in your mouth the whole time and I'm glad you got her back. I (and probably a lot of other owners) am getting concerned by these type incidents (and the ones reported on the DJI Forum where two people have claimed that their motors failed and their Inspire's fell from the sky) and really don't want to put mine up again until there is a fix! I had the same experience as Ian Fraser (reported on another thread) on my first flight where mine started heading off by itself at quite a pace a short time after take-off ( all calibrations/flight checks were done) and it did not respond to my stick controls. It did however, respond to a descent command and it came good after about 10 seconds. I was lucky I was in a wide open area with no trees or other obstacles to run into. I hope you get a response Quadzilla and I'm sure you will share any updates if/when you get one.

Steve, the sky is not falling...be aware the there have only been isolated cases of catastrophic failure... Predominately there is always another issue they fail to want to admit contributed to problems...something I saw on another forum referred to as "dumb thumb" I can related to "dumb thumb" as I almost totally destroyed by Blade QX2 to it...(even though it initially had a small gps problem).

Steve, the sky is not falling...be aware the there have only been isolated cases of catastrophic failure... Predominately there is always another issue they fail to want to admit contributed to problems...something I saw on another forum referred to as "dumb thumb" I can related to "dumb thumb" as I almost totally destroyed by Blade QX2 to it...(even though it initially had a small gps problem).
Hmmmmm another issue? Nope sure wasn't any other issue!

Glad you managed to get it safely back. This is the Phantom 1 & 2 all over again by the look of things.

Yet another reason we should have manual mode on the Inspire !

Any chance they found out the root cause to what happened to the phantoms?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EarthmovingAdelaide