Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Anybody still flying the Inspire 1 with an XT thermal camera on it?

Reaction score
I bought the XT 10 years maybe longer ago. I took it up in my nice Inspire 1 and remember thinking I don't want to lose my
$7500 camera in the swamp. And it was a little challenging trying to get used to the thermal. So basically instead of risk losing it, it mostly just sat in my basement (which was about the same loss).

So I am getting interested again and looked at the prices of new ones (the M3T isn't horrible I suppose), and figured I should use this one rather than spend money on a new one I might not use. The M30T looks pretty nice.

Any tips on: how to get my Inspire 1/ XT set up; running good ; learning how to use it ; or, potential problems since it is pretty old?

I have some newer batteries I bought a year or two ago fresh from DJI and I have some battery heaters (it is single digits here right now).

I'm a little worried about flying it right now in the winter. But that kind of thinking has left me never flying it for at least the last 10 years!

Let me know if you have tips and advice to get me flying. I don't really have a bucket list... but I think this is on it! lol

Reactions: mnash50259
Sorry, I put this in the wrong spot. Please move to discussion or XT spot?

I've used the setup that you talked about in the past and it worked out well, but through trial and error found that DroneDeploy is the absolute best at processing infrared. Other processing services have not been able to properly stitch the individual photos into a usable photo mosaic composition. Just run your mission as you would for typical photogrammetry, but using your xt instead of the x3. Make sure that you select the proper camera in the setup and have plenty of side and head overlap.

Reactions: philztoy
I've used the setup that you talked about in the past and it worked out well, but through trial and error found that DroneDeploy is the absolute best at processing infrared. Other processing services have not been able to properly stitch the individual photos into a usable photo mosaic composition. Just run your mission as you would for typical photogrammetry, but using your xt instead of the x3. Make sure that you select the proper camera in the setup and have plenty of side and head overlap.
Thank you for your assistance! I am making some ant like progress getting it up in the air.

I've stitched a bunch of thermal orthos using Agisoft Metashape and I like the quality. At least they work for commercial low pitch roof inspections. Haven't given DroneDeploy a look for processing them yet but I might just to see the difference.

Reactions: philztoy
Yes... still our GoTo setup when needed 😊. But, tend to use the M210 sual gimbal more.
We have some v2 adapters, X5, X5R, X3, etc. if anyone in need. Lemme know and I will setup a classified post.

Yes... still our GoTo setup when needed 😊. But, tend to use the M210 sual gimbal more.
We have some v2 adapters, X5, X5R, X3, etc. if anyone in need. Lemme know and I will setup a classified post.
Thanks again. I already bought the adapter or I would hit you up on that. Do you find that the M210 is a more reliable platform for running the XT?

That is a good endorsement! Thanks! I got the XT set to work with one. I just have to find the platform and see if I have any money left after paying taxes. Hate this time of year.

That is a good endorsement! Thanks! I got the XT set to work with one. I just have to find the platform and see if I have any money left after paying taxes. Hate this time of year.
I just got myself into this setup as my first thermal rig. I did the same as you. Came by the xt and needed something to get it into the air. So far so good.

I just got myself into this setup as my first thermal rig. I did the same as you. Came by the xt and needed something to get it into the air. So far so good.
You are using the 210 or Inspire 1? Just curious. I have been thinking of buying the 210 or something for the camera. The camera is great!

You are using the 210 or Inspire 1? Just curious. I have been thinking of buying the 210 or something for the camera. The camera is great!
I found a great deal on the Inspire 1. The XT and X5 cameras, controller, and IPad all for under 2000. The xt also came with the adapter for a 210. So I can switch platforms in the future. I agree on the camera. This is my thermal on a budget rig.

Reactions: CoreySnipes

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerdry