Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Anyone have experience with FAA for Public (government) use?

Reaction score
I was inquiring if any one has gone through the process of obtaining a COA (certificate or waiver of authorazation). Most all of the completed applications I have seen online use everything but an Inspire 1. I was looking for some helpful information on how to write up the plan for the FAA.

Thanks

I am using this as a tool for our local government to do river surveying and storm and flood damage assesment. I have over 300 hours of actual flight time in helicopters and several hours of drone time.

I was inquiring if any one has gone through the process of obtaining a COA (certificate or waiver of authorazation). Most all of the completed applications I have seen online use everything but an Inspire 1. I was looking for some helpful information on how to write up the plan for the FAA.

Thanks
I am a pilot in a UAS unit that has gone through the entire process to include another brand of UAS and the Inspire 1. First a training COA, then a operational COA for Class G airspace. Working on other airspaces shortly.

I sure could use some help. I am not sure the FAA will let us use the drone in the areas we want to use them. I live near 2 airbases and an airport. I am trying to use the drone under 400 feet of course but, I never really know where they may need me to shoot. We are using the drone for river salvage and cleanup. Also for search and rescue and video for erosion of inlets and waterways. I could really use some help with the application process. Thanks.

I sure could use some help. I am not sure the FAA will let us use the drone in the areas we want to use them. I live near 2 airbases and an airport. I am trying to use the drone under 400 feet of course but, I never really know where they may need me to shoot. We are using the drone for river salvage and cleanup. Also for search and rescue and video for erosion of inlets and waterways. I could really use some help with the application process. Thanks.

I have not done the process, but using GOOGLE Search, here's a granted 333 exemption for the Inspire 1:

https://www.faa.gov/uas/legislative...zations/media/August_Aerial_Imagery_11640.pdf

They just used the DJI specifications and the User Manual as their "Operations Manual".

Here is the FAA's site on the 333 exemption:

https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external/uas/content/UASSection333FAQs.jsp

including the FAA guidelines for submitting the petition:

http://www.faa.gov/uas/legislative_...petition/media/section333_public_guidance.pdf

If you do a GOOGLE search for "attorney "333 exemption"" there are a number of attorneys who will help you through the process, for a (very expensive, IMO) fee, of course. Here's an example, who wants $5000-$7500 "flat fee" for the guidance, depending on the size of your company and intended use:

http://www.antonelli-law.com/Drone_UAS_Practice_Group.php

With the granted example above and the guidance document from the FAA, I'd sure try it myself before forking out $5G.

mTp

Reactions: Chad Ray
For a COA you must be a certificated pilot to fly within 5 miles of ANY airfield on a sectional. That includes all the little restricted little fields as well. If you would tell me where you live I can tell you the airspaces you will need to apply for, and what the FAA told us we had to do to fly in these areas.

Wow, sucks to be you. Not to be funny but with Camp Lejeune, McCutcheon field (NCA), and Onslow Memorial Hospital, you have little space to breath. You will need a private pilots certificate and a COA for Class G and D airspace. Lejeune has lots of helo traffic as well so lots of low flyers. Lots of restricted areas to your east as well. Must be where the helo's play.

Cobra's, H-53's, C-130's dropping parachuters, Ospreys, and not to mention Harriers and soon the F35 Lightning. Lots of low airspace. We just opened a new airport at OAJ. Bringing more traffic in with new airline. New control tower soon to come. All traffic has been going thru Wilmington towers. I am in touch with my FAA rep. He is helping with the process. It's gonna be long. Thanks again for all of your hep.

I have not done the process, but using GOOGLE Search, here's a granted 333 exemption for the Inspire 1:

https://www.faa.gov/uas/legislative...zations/media/August_Aerial_Imagery_11640.pdf

They just used the DJI specifications and the User Manual as their "Operations Manual".

Here is the FAA's site on the 333 exemption:

https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external/uas/content/UASSection333FAQs.jsp

including the FAA guidelines for submitting the petition:

http://www.faa.gov/uas/legislative_...petition/media/section333_public_guidance.pdf

If you do a GOOGLE search for "attorney "333 exemption"" there are a number of attorneys who will help you through the process, for a (very expensive, IMO) fee, of course. Here's an example, who wants $5000-$7500 "flat fee" for the guidance, depending on the size of your company and intended use:

http://www.antonelli-law.com/Drone_UAS_Practice_Group.php

With the granted example above and the guidance document from the FAA, I'd sure try it myself before forking out $5G.

mTp
Some applications require a lot more work than you might think. Plus airspace above 200 feet, custom rigs, etc etc.

For simple uses like small home inspection outfits and realtors we offer a $1,500 service that even includes an N number registration which is tricky for those who bought from China on DJI.com http://www.dronedemocracy.com/

Some applications require a lot more work than you might think. Plus airspace above 200 feet, custom rigs, etc etc.

For simple uses like small home inspection outfits and realtors we offer a $1,500 service that even includes an N number registration which is tricky for those who bought from China on DJI.com http://www.dronedemocracy.com/

N number registration tricky????????? took me 10 minutes, two forms and $5.00. Registered two Inspires, one governmental, one personal.

N number registration tricky????????? took me 10 minutes, two forms and $5.00. Registered two Inspires, one governmental, one personal.

If you bought the Inspires on DJI.com, please let us all know how it turns out, what the FAA response is and when you actually receive your N number. Actually getting the registration is a LOT harder than you think. It shouldn't be, and DJI is trying to get the FAA to change, but for now it is. Not as hard if you buy the Inspire domestically

Chad,

I have gone through this process. I fly UAS for the Navy and we had to get a COA for our tower's Class D airspace. Check out this website for some good info:
https://www.faa.gov/uas/faq/#qn8

Here's the basic layout (documents) of what is required to obtain a COA:
Airworthiness certificate
Operations manual (including contingencies) - this is the meat of your application
Spectrum Analysis (ie: frequencies)

The section 333 exemption, as I understand, is an airworthiness certificate exemption - and is for commercial (civil) use, not public. I'm not sure if you will need this with a COA or not - I do not know if the Inspire 1 has an airworthiness certificate.

It works a little different with the Military, since the FAA basically grants operating authority to the Military. If you'll be flying predominantly in a towered airspace, I would talk to the airfield operations officer/manager and find out if they have an FAA rep who can help you out. You'll need an account with the FAA to apply and I would be wiling to bet that those airfields you are flying near have one.

Another thought is to contract to the local govt. then just get the 333 and work out any ops in tower's airspace with the tower real time. Then you are a civil operator and not public.

Hope you are able to get it sorted out!

For a COA you must be a certificated pilot to fly within 5 miles of ANY airfield on a sectional. That includes all the little restricted little fields as well. If you would tell me where you live I can tell you the airspaces you will need to apply for, and what the FAA told us we had to do to fly in these areas.
Not exactly. I have a 333 but have done research for a local PD to get a public COA. Public COAs are issued to law enforcement or fire agencies w/o a FAA pilot license. Each agency must certify and train its own UAS pilots. I know it sounds dorky, but it's the FAA. I have a commercial pilot license.

Not exactly. I have a 333 but have done research for a local PD to get a public COA. Public COAs are issued to law enforcement or fire agencies w/o a FAA pilot license. Each agency must certify and train its own UAS pilots. I know it sounds dorky, but it's the FAA. I have a commercial pilot license.
@licensed pilot is correct. Public agencies work a little bit differently. For example, military aviators fly in FAA airspace all the time, and most of them do not have even a private pilot's license (unless they take the competency exam).

@ISP5557 @Chad Ray On the airfield distances. This is directly from the blanket COA, under which every section 333 exemption holder is authorized to operate.
"
Note: For all UAS requests not covered by the conditions listed below, the exemption holder may apply for a new Air Traffic Organization (ATO) Certificate of Waiver or Authorization (COA) at UAS Civil COA
This COA will allow small UAS (55 pounds or less) operations during daytime VFR conditions under the following conditions and limitations:

(1) At or below 400 feet AGL; and

(2) Beyond the following distances from the airport reference point (ARP) of a public use airport, heliport, gliderport, or seaport listed in the Airport/Facility Directory, Alaska

Small UAS Operations 400 feet and below for Commercial Purposes May 2016

FAA FORM 7711-1 UAS COA Page 7 of 7 Blanket COA for any Operator issued a valid Section 333 Grant of Exemption

Supplement, or Pacific Chart Supplement of the U.S. Government Flight Information Publications.

1. a) 5 nautical miles (NM) from an airport having an operational control tower; or

2. b) 3 NM from an airport having a published instrument flight procedure, but not having an operational control tower; or

3. c) 2 NM from an airport not having a published instrument flight procedure or an operational control tower; or

4. d) 2 NM from a heliport
"

If you are conducting hobby operations, you simply have to notify the airfield. Even that is a guideline and not a hard and fast rule. Expect all of this to change once Part 107 drops.

Camp Lejeune and all MC installations are currently undergoing a UAS policy review and update. This will affect pretty much all the airspace from Florida to Va.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melodee207