Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Asked to sell footage. How much?

$2000 is about £1500. Personally I still think that is way too low for exclusive... You are really underselling yourself. Truth be told, I would be very creative with him... I would say $500 - non exclusive and you may only use it on one website additional sites are 300 per site, and finally If it is used to sell a product or service you want 10% of any revenue.

If he doesn't go for it then tough, you will make a shed load more than that by splitting your video and sticking them on a stock site....

Honestly, don't undersell yourself. This market is about to explode and everyone will want original video like yours.

If you are very clever, you could put it under the nose of a big holiday firm and ask if they are interested in it.

Now, all you need to do is let me use it on my display stand to promote the inspire 1. :)

Don't let it go for nothing, you have something of value there.

I have just watched it again, there are one or two clips I would change, but genuinely believe you should hold on to the exclusive rights. With a little creative marketing, I think it could give you a nice little earner.

I don't know who the big holiday firms are in the US but in the UK you could approach the marketing depts of virgin or Thomson and ask if they want the clips. Or even speak to the tourist board in the Maldives ...

I know you don't want the commercial aspect of it but I do think you could earn a bit... Just depends how much effort you want to put in

The first thing you should do is remove it from YouTube. With full rights and if it was shot at 4K you could easily get thousands of dollars.

Thousands of dollars? Who are you kidding?
The stock photo and video sites will pay about $40.00 a clip max. They will sell it for $200.00.
Mind you, you can always upload several clips.

Thousands of dollars? Who are you kidding?
The stock photo and video sites will pay about $40.00 a clip max. They will sell it for $200.00.
Mind you, you can always upload several clips.
That's what I thought as well at the initial stage, but the footage is really impressive. At $40 a clip x 33 clips, that equates pretty much to $1300 so my initial pricing was not out of range. Want to buy it? ;-)

I have just watched it again, there are one or two clips I would change, but genuinely believe you should hold on to the exclusive rights. With a little creative marketing, I think it could give you a nice little earner.

I don't know who the big holiday firms are in the US but in the UK you could approach the marketing depts of virgin or Thomson and ask if they want the clips. Or even speak to the tourist board in the Maldives ...

I know you don't want the commercial aspect of it but I do think you could earn a bit... Just depends how much effort you want to put in
I would be curious to know which clips you would change. I also had a few in mind (flying over the village and the near ground shot towards the end).

I appreciate the vote of confidence and happy to see you enjoyed the clip. I'll reach out to the Maldives tourism board for fun, but I honestly don't expect people will line-up to purchase videos. I may be wrong however as I'm new to this.

I'm happy to explore shared sales revenues if any one of you has a bidder for a video like this.

$2000 is about £1500. Personally I still think that is way too low for exclusive... You are really underselling yourself. Truth be told, I would be very creative with him... I would say $500 - non exclusive and you may only use it on one website additional sites are 300 per site, and finally If it is used to sell a product or service you want 10% of any revenue.

If he doesn't go for it then tough, you will make a shed load more than that by splitting your video and sticking them on a stock site....

Honestly, don't undersell yourself. This market is about to explode and everyone will want original video like yours.

If you are very clever, you could put it under the nose of a big holiday firm and ask if they are interested in it.

Now, all you need to do is let me use it on my display stand to promote the inspire 1. :)

Don't let it go for nothing, you have something of value there.
Feel free to use it on your stand. I have no issues with that. Send me video proof of your stand when it's setup. If this can help you in any way, knock yourself out.

I would be curious to know which clips you would change. I also had a few in mind (flying over the village and the near ground shot towards the end).

I appreciate the vote of confidence and happy to see you enjoyed the clip. I'll reach out to the Maldives tourism board for fun, but I honestly don't expect people will line-up to purchase videos. I may be wrong however as I'm new to this.

I'm happy to explore shared sales revenues if any one of you has a bidder for a video like this.

I agree, I don't think you will have people knocking down your door for it, but in the same breath I don't think anyone knows it is for sale.

Why don't create a Vimeo or YouTube channel. Put a watermark over this video and then put a "licence for sale" clip on the end. Then put your individual clips on the channel then send an email to various holiday brokers / marketing firms with a link to the channel. Send it to anyone with an interest in getting people to the Maldives...

Look at it this way, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain. Especially if YOU hold the copyright.

You may just be surprised. And with your original customer, offer a non-exclusive at 2k then see what he says. It opens communication and negotiation.

If you do get anything, please report back... I for one would love to know how you get on.

Regarding your question, all your clips are very good. Just that there is some hard light differences. Try to get the video to flow a little better in terms of lighting. I'm not a professional video editor so someone experienced may offer a bit better advice.

That's what I thought as well at the initial stage, but the footage is really impressive. At $40 a clip x 33 clips, that equates pretty much to $1300 so my initial pricing was not out of range. Want to buy it? ;-)

Bear in mind they will sell 4k video at £299

£299 * 33 = £9867 * 1.5 = $14,800

Non-exclusive too - Not bad if you can get it.

I agree, I don't think you will have people knocking down your door for it, but in the same breath I don't think anyone knows it is for sale.

Why don't create a Vimeo or YouTube channel. Put a watermark over this video and then put a "licence for sale" clip on the end. Then put your individual clips on the channel then send an email to various holiday brokers / marketing firms with a link to the channel. Send it to anyone with an interest in getting people to the Maldives...

Look at it this way, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain. Especially if YOU hold the copyright.

You may just be surprised. And with your original customer, offer a non-exclusive at 2k then see what he says. It opens communication and negotiation.

If you do get anything, please report back... I for one would love to know how you get on.

Regarding your question, all your clips are very good. Just that there is some hard light differences. Try to get the video to flow a little better in terms of lighting. I'm not a professional video editor so someone experienced may offer a bit better advice.
Original customer came back to me. Essentially ok to pay $60 per clip, but needs 10 second segments for each clip as opposed to the average 4 seconds currently in the video. Any thoughts on that? We may want to take this offline as I wouldn't want to flood the forum with this discussion. If anyone thinks this should be take offline, please let me know. Cheers

First things first. You've posted it on YouTube and it is easily ripped at full resolution from that public site. Remove that posting or repost as others have stated with a watermark that crosses the whole image. When it comes to selling the footage, well, you enter into the realms of permissions regarding the location - did you have permission to film at the locations? Signed release forms for use for commercial rights? If you don't own the land/property, the identifiable boats (people don't seem to be recognisable but again should have been asked to sign off on use of image for commercial purposes) you have no rights to sell the footage for commercial gain. Whomever is looking to buy the footage from you needs to stipulate the nature of the usage, the territory it will be used in, the stations to be broadcast on etc. IF you fulfil the criteria in regards to permissions and therefore licensing, then you can charge whatever you want, it's determined by the value to the end user. If you have no permissions for commercial use, you have no rights to sell it on.

Then again, you can sell it on with the express stipulation that there are no rights attached and that the end user must fulfil any rights releases...

Last edited:
I'm fine with you pm'ing. But your call.

I would be asking why the length matters? That is like paying per line of code when shorter is better. If I were you I would setup a variable cost depending on the wow factor of each clip. Then set the price per clip. That very first one is the gotcha one its stunning! If anyone gets that for $60 then they are having a field day with it.

I still think he is way too low but, you have a buyer for something you didn't know you were going to sell.

Have a sleep on it, think about the figures above and then go in preparing to negotiate. Remember, You have all the cards, there are not many stunning videos like that available for sale. And he wants them.

And last bit of advice, Try your hardest not to give exclusive.

Wish you the best of luck mate, have fun negotiating .

First things first. You've posted it on YouTube and it is easily ripped at full resolution from that public site. Remove that posting or repost as others have stated with a watermark that crosses the whole image. When it comes to selling the footage, well, you enter into the realms of permissions regarding the location - did you have permission to film at the locations? Signed release forms for use for commercial rights? If you don't own the land/property, the identifiable boats (people don't seem to be recognisable but again should have been asked to sign off on use of image for commercial purposes) you have no rights to sell the footage for commercial gain. Whomever is looking to buy the footage from you needs to stipulate the nature of the usage, the territory it will be used in, the stations to be broadcast on etc. IF you fulfil the criteria in regards to permissions and therefore licensing, then you can charge whatever you want, it's determined by the value to the end user. If you have no permissions for commercial use, you have no rights to sell it on.

I am not a lawyer, but - again in the UK - you don't need permission to photograph or film in a public place. We have laws protecting that right. There is no identifiable persons so model release forms are not required either.

I would have no qualms in selling this and would challenge anyone who says I can't. but I am not subject to US law.

OP. Get it checked out before you commit. Also, final point. Check to see if Maldives has any regulations like FAA and UK CAA. As they may forbid aerial work being sold without having their "licence". Sorry, I should have asked that right at the beginning.

I am not a lawyer, but - again in the UK - you don't need permission to photograph or film in a public place. We have laws protecting that right. There is no identifiable persons so model release forms are not required either.

I would have no qualms in selling this and would challenge anyone who says I can't. but I am not subject to US law.

OP. Get it checked out before you commit. Also, final point. Check to see if Maldives has any regulations like FAA and UK CAA. As they may forbid aerial work being sold without having their "licence". Sorry, I should have asked that right at the beginning.

Actually you do need relative permissions to film in a public place in the UK. It depends on the nature of the use. Any filming for commercial gain requires permissions from councils and notification given to private households by way of notice of intent should they raise an objection to their property being featured.

Actually you do need relative permissions to film in a public place in the UK. It depends on the nature of the use. Any filming for commercial gain requires permissions from councils and notification given to private households by way of notice of intent should they raise an objection to their property being featured.

I guess we are getting into technicalities but that only applies if you are filming from the ground, the councils don't own the airspace. Normal CAA rules apply though. 50 meters etc.

And ICO say as long as the property is not identifiable to an individual. If you think about it, ITN and BBC would need to get permission from the entire street to do a news story. I certainly didn't give the BBC permission to film my house when they did Britain from above series.

Yup, it's relative. News and documentary are a different criteria to being filmed for commercial gain, which I believe is the point of pgaucher's post and the offer to buy the footage from him. And lawyers, the ASA and any commercial client love technicalities. Just trying to be helpful and outline the possible difficulties with selling footage on but being liable for generating it without a viable release for commercial gain.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
codymorgan