Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

autofocus x5

Someone asked a few posts back about how close youll get to something before you'll lose focus when set to infinity and f8.

You've probably heard of it, but your getting into something called hyperfocal distance there.

There are apps to calculate that for most cameras but I've yet to see one with the x5.

The rule of thumb generally s as follows (this is not the calculation, but a general way the results work out): the shorter your focal length (say 12mm) amd the wider your aperture (say f11), the closer you can get to an object in the foreground and keep it in focus, as well as keeping everything in the middle/background in focus.

My Canon with a 10mm focal length and f22 aperture can get within about 25cm of something and keep everything in focus. That's no good to you as the x5 is a different camera, but it's the same idea otherwise!

If that helps? Ha

And make sure switch on lens is not set to MF!
Your reply has me equally stymied as I watched the DJI video on the X5. My new X5 does not have a switch on it (as many SLR lenses do) that set AF or MF. The DJI video shows the switch and you refer to it. My only control is on the Go App. Help? To clarify, I'm talking about a switch on the X5, not a lens. DISREGARD: I watched the video again and it appears as if, as on many SLR lenses, the AF/Mf mentioned was on the lens and not the X5 itself. But thanks anyway, I would have deleted the reply but don't think I can.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Editor
Your reply has me equally stymied as I watched the DJI video on the X5. My new X5 does not have a switch on it (as many SLR lenses do) that set AF or MF. The DJI video shows the switch and you refer to it. My only control is on the Go App. Help? To clarify, I'm talking about a switch on the X5, not a lens. DISREGARD: I watched the video again and it appears as if, as on many SLR lenses, the AF/Mf mentioned was on the lens and not the X5 itself. But thanks anyway, I would have deleted the reply but don't think I can.
That's why I said on the lens :D

I have a question on the best way to do a video whereby you start fairly close to an object (3 meters or so), then zoom away from and around it using Spotlight Pro.

Tap the screen at a decent distance to refocus? Seems to be the only way I can think of.

There is no continuous focus on you camera as there is on quality DSLR’s. Obviously you can compute your DOF and play the trade-off game or as you are doing refocus and handle the blips in video editing. Or, keep you camera Inside the DOF.

Curious as to what it means in DJI's pilot handbook on camera settings: "Enabled AFC Mode: AFC stands for ‘Auto Focus Continuous,’ and if this is toggled on then the camera will automatically focus when you start recording."

That isn't continuous focus per se?

Hey all,

I also have an X5 sensor, and during recording, when I tap on my image in the DJI Go app to set focus, I get a prompted text message stating that "...focus aid not possible during video recording..."! Any thoughts on this? Is it true that you can't use the "tap to focus" on the X5 during recording, or do I miss something here?

Oh, should have said that I use the X5 on an Osmo... I know that there are focus wheels for this guy, but I want to focus by tapping on the screen.

Ok, I dug into the issure... When I record with the X5 on an Osmo, I can actually refocus by tapping on the screen. However, the Go app's pop up text is still saying "...focus aid not possible during video recording...", or something of the sort. Focus aid... in my mind, that´s the same function as "focus assist" on a professional/semipro video camera, meaning that you get a thin contour line on the edges of the object you wish to have in focus. is that correct?

If so, when my X5 has refocused (when me tapping on the screen during video recording), it actually shows the focus assist anyway, even if the pop up text says "focus aid not possible during video record". The lens is focusing, witch is a good thing, but what does the pop up text in that case mean?

AND ANOTHER THING! :)

External microphone... I have attached an external microphone of a generic type onto the Osmo, using the 3,5mm audio connector positioned at the front part of the handle. When I listen to the recorded video clip in the DJI Go app Editor, I can hear the audio recorded by my mobile device in the video clip, but I can't hear any audio picked up by the external microphone. Any thoughts?

/Tille,

Last edited:
Hey all,

I also have an X5 sensor, and during recording, when I tap on my image in the DJI Go app to set focus, I get a prompted text message stating that "...focus aid not possible during video recording..."! Any thoughts on this? Is it true that you can't use the "tap to focus" on the X5 during recording, or do I miss something here?

Oh, should have said that I use the X5 on an Osmo... I know that there are focus wheels for this guy, but I want to focus by tapping on the screen.

Ok, I dug into the issure... When I record with the X5 on an Osmo, I can actually refocus by tapping on the screen. However, the Go app's pop up text is still saying "...focus aid not possible during video recording...", or something of the sort. Focus aid... in my mind, that´s the same function as "focus assist" on a professional/semipro video camera, meaning that you get a thin contour line on the edges of the object you wish to have in focus. is that correct?

If so, when my X5 has refocused (when me tapping on the screen during video recording), it actually shows the focus assist anyway, even if the pop up text says "focus aid not possible during video record". The lens is focusing, witch is a good thing, but what does the pop up text in that case mean?

AND ANOTHER THING! :)

External microphone... I have attached an external microphone of a generic type onto the Osmo, using the 3,5mm audio connector positioned at the front part of the handle. When I listen to the recorded video clip in the DJI Go app Editor, I can hear the audio recorded by my mobile device in the video clip, but I can't hear any audio picked up by the external microphone. Any thoughts?

/Tille,
Focus aid/assist is when the image zooms in to help you see if the image is in focus, this only works when not recording. The thin colored lines around an object letting you know something is in focus is called "focus peaking" and is on at all times if switched on.

For the external microphone you have to set it to use an external microphone in the settings menu. However you will want to get your mic as far away from the osmo as possible since the osmo is slightly noisy and can be heard easily in quiet footage

Focus aid/assist is when the image zooms in to help you see if the image is in focus, this only works when not recording. The thin colored lines around an object letting you know something is in focus is called "focus peaking" and is on at all times if switched on.

For the external microphone you have to set it to use an external microphone in the settings menu. However you will want to get your mic as far away from the osmo as possible since the osmo is slightly noisy and can be heard easily in quiet footage
Great info, thank you so much! You are absolutely right when it comes to the mic is picking up the fan motor from the Osmo. I will only use it in order to easier synk the video to the audio recorded on my mobile device and on my Zoom H6 audio recorder. Again, thank you!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriGop