Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Avoid FLY Away tip

Reaction score
still waiting for my inspire to arrive--
so you can take this with a grain of salt;however,

one preflight step that I have not seen mentioned that might be nice to add is:

remove all apps from the background.

in IOS8 you can do this by double-tapping the HOME button,
then swipe UP each app.

you might be amazed at how many programs you have running in the background.

this may help avoid a flyaway, or not.

what it will do is remove a HUGE unknown variable - background apps,
and it will also free more memory for your DJI app.

--and if this is already posted and i just have not found it yet ----->
gilda radner "never mind"

then swipe UP each app.

It is not likely the DJI Pilot app would cause a fly away anytime.
The Inspire flies fine even after an app crash or freeze (I have had a number of app freezes and crashes while flying). Every setting you choose in the app is stored in the flight controllers memory. If the app crashes, simply restart it (while hovering) and you're fine. If not, just bring it in and land it. Even the camera keeps on shooting after an app crash. It's only the telemetry and FPV you miss, not the control. Fortunately, the Inspire1 can fly just as good with only the TX, like any real RC bird should. You can switch IOC, RTH, set homepoint, calibrate compass, and even start and stop recording, all just with the TX, even without app.

So no panic when the ipad has a problem or the app hangs. Just fly the bird.

Good advice though to kill all other apps, it surely frees up the memory needed for a smooth user experience.

Have a blast with your new Inspire1, I know you will, it is one great bird, if not the greatest.

Reactions: Mario Coutsoftides

then swipe UP each app.

For iOS, it's a misconception that doing this -- closing "background" apps in this manner -- is worthwhile. They're not actually running at all. (There ARE apps that run in the background, especially some Apple-provided ones, but you can't stop those using the method described.)

For reference:

and

There are lots of other references.

Cheers.

Reactions: Joola
For iOS, it's a misconception that doing this -- closing "background" apps in this manner -- is worthwhile. They're not actually running at all. (There ARE apps that run in the background, especially some Apple-provided ones, but you can't stop those using the method described.)

For reference:

and

There are lots of other references.

Cheers.

"By closing the app, you take the app out of the phone's RAM ."

"For example, if an app is in a weird frozen or buggy state, just pressing Home and then going back to the app again may not help. But visiting the multitasking screen, quitting it with an upward swipe, and then relaunching the app will force it to start from scratch."

Lake_Flyer points out that there may be no reason to worry about any of this. I agree, with the caveat that since i am just a little paranoid i will probably error on the side of caution.

Daxis:

I think that you are misinterpreting both articles in relation to what i was trying to convey.

both articles suggest that removing apps (that you use repeatedly) from ram is a performance loss, to which i agree (if you are going to reuse those programs in the near future). in using over a hundred apps on my phone, and testing many more, i can tell you from personal experience that there are times where an app can "hang" and cause you to have to "reboot" your iOS device to get it or certain other apps to work again. instead of rebooting you can often simply remove the app from memory and 90% of the time all is well.

the iOS memory swap still takes time. you can start with your ram full and let the OS determine what is important to swap out and i will start with a clean slate. i believe the clean slate method is the most likely way to avoid unpredictable results from any device. while i have a great deal of faith in apple and iOS i do not hold it in such high esteem that i believe that it works any differently than any other microprocessor based system (especially linux), nor do i believe it is bug free. not trying to start a flame war here, and i appreciate your references.
cheers,
fdk

Last edited:
"By closing the app, you take the app out of the phone's RAM ."

both articles suggest that removing apps from ram that you use repeatedly is a performance loss, to which i agree (if you are going to reuse those programs in the near future). in using over a hundred apps on my phone, and testing many more, i can tell you from personal experience that there are times where an app can "hang" and cause you to have to "reboot" your iOS device to get it or certain other apps to work again. instead of rebooting you can often simply remove the app from memory and 90% of the time all is well.

the iOS memory swap still takes time. you can start with your ram full and let the OS determine what is important to swap out and i will start with a clean slate. i believe the clean slate method is the most likely way to avoid unpredictable results from any device. while i have a great deal of faith in apple and iOS i do not hold it in such high esteem that i believe that it works any differently than any other microprocessor based system (especially linux), nor do i believe it is bug free. not trying to start a flame war here, and i appreciate your references.
cheers,
fdk

fdk, yes -- you're right that those references are about performance, and yeah, you're not really worried about that here. And further, you're right that sometimes iOS hangs (and this, based entirely on my unscientific and anecdotal evidence, happens more often today than it did many iOS versions ago).

I'm just fundamentally in the camp that argues that there's no point -- in any usual circumstances -- to "closing" all of those iOS apps that show up when you double-click the button. I don't actually believe the system freezes and resets come from those apps being there.

On the other hand, neither of us is inclined to do the data collection needed to prove whether it's worthwhile one way or the other. I mean, you'd need a significant number of iOS devices, a huge variety of apps, and a massive number of person-hours to do a decent study, and then you'd have to double-blind it, do rigorous data collection, and so on. I'd rather fly and take photos.

So tl;dr -- your assumption that it helps things to close the apps is every bit as valid as my assumption that it doesn't.

daxis:
a very intelligent response from you. cheers for that. you are obviously well educated by your references to the scientific method.

for me, i have found that sometimes a little voodoo and superstition can't hurt when it comes to puters....

cheers,
fdk

The Inspire flies fine even after an app crash or freeze (I have had a number of app freezes and crashes while flying). Every setting you choose in the app is stored in the flight controllers memory. If the app crashes, simply restart it (while hovering) and you're fine. If not, just bring it in and land it. Even the camera keeps on shooting after an app crash. It's only the telemetry and FPV you miss, not the control. Fortunately, the Inspire1 can fly just as good with only the TX, like any real RC bird should. You can switch IOC, RTH, set homepoint, calibrate compass, and even start and stop recording, all just with the TX, even without app.

Good advice though to kill all other apps, it surely frees up the memory needed for a smooth user experience.

Have a blast with your new Inspire1, I know you will, it is one great bird, if not the greatest.
I have another question.

I have another question. I use a dedicated Ipad with the app. I notice when flying near my home the iPad links to my home wifi and I get the maps with satellite views on the Ipad
in the lower right corner. When flying in an area not connected to wifi I get no map. However the other day I noticed by accident that I could connect with the wifi hot spot on my iPhone in my pocket. It really worked great because I got map and sat views on my Ipad. It seems like I should be able to get that data on the Ipad without using the phone. What am I missing? The iPad is strictly dedicated to the drone and was purchase specifically for it. Do I need to have google earth on it? Please excuse my ignorance
Thanks

If you enable 'cache maps' in the app you can get the map downloaded on the DJI app for the area where you are intend to fly. Just power up the inspire and the app when you have wifi connection at home. Enable the caching option in the app, go to the map and zoom to the area you want to fly. Ensure you zoom in and out sufficiently so you will cover the area that you might be flying. Now when you are out in the field and don't have wifi connection, the map is still there.

then swipe UP each app.

The only thing this would maybe help you with is the dji freezing up, even then I can't see it really helping that.

The dji app doesn't cause flyaways. You can fly it without a tablet/phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaricruzRa