Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Battery Advise

Have to say, as a newbie, I find all this negative talk about the batteries scary...given their cost.

Having read MANY threads on various sites I'm now feeling very confused. So, here's my My plan for battery management (please remember I have NO experience so far of battery issues - as a newbie)

I've sent for a parallel charger plate and will be adding two 24v bulbs to make a device suggested by an Inspire 1 pilot (Peter Homer) on Youtube. I intend to run my batteries right down using the device about every 10 cycles.

As far as storage goes it seems that - in between the deep discharge cycle - I should charge my batteries up until the third light just starts...let them cool down (if necessary) and then store for no more than a couple of weeks. If in store for much longer then bring back to 50 percent charge? Comments/advice WELCOME!!

...topic back on track :)

Have to say, as a newbie, I find all this negative talk about the batteries scary...given their cost.

Having read MANY threads on various sites I'm now feeling very confused. So, here's my My plan for battery management (please remember I have NO experience so far of battery issues - as a newbie)

I've sent for a parallel charger plate and will be adding two 24v bulbs to make a device suggested by an Inspire 1 pilot (Peter Homer) on Youtube. I intend to run my batteries right down using the device about every 10 cycles.

As far as storage goes it seems that - in between the deep discharge cycle - I should charge my batteries up until the third light just starts...let them cool down (if necessary) and then store for no more than a couple of weeks. If in store for much longer then bring back to 50 percent charge? Comments/advice WELCOME!!

...topic back on track :)
Hi Bruce,

Basically you want to have your batteries in a fully charged or fully depleted start for as short a time as possible.
Never leave you packs depleted for days at a time and don't leave them at 100% charge ready to fly for days at a time either.

Try to do the following:
Have your packs stored at 50-60% (around 3.86v per cell) - like this they can be left indefinitely
Either the night before or the day you are going to fly, charge them up, fly.
Let them cool to ambeint.
If you are going to fly again (that day) just charge them up and fly again.
If you are finished for the day
Charge them to 50-60% (3.86v per cell) again
Leave them like that until the next time you are ready to fly

Bruce, its really is not scary if you follow DJI recommendations. As I mentioned previously in this thread, you should join Healthy Drones (HD) and track the health of the batteries. I've been flying the Inspire 1 Pro for 10 mths and ratcheted up 30 hrs with the 4 original batteries, I haven't had any problems, the bird hasn't fallen out of the sky or any other bizarre behaviors. Check the batteries after every use (easily done post flight in HD) and recycle (discharge/recharge) every 20 uses. Follow a rigorous checklist as you would as a pilot (it becomes second nature once you adopt the habit). You will not have any problems.

Last edited:
Bruce, its really is not scary if you follow DJI recommendations. As I mentioned previously in this thread, you should join Healthy Drones (HD) and track the health of the batteries. I've been flying the Inspire 1 Pro for 10 mths and ratcheted up 30 hrs with the 4 original batteries, I haven't had any problems, the bird hasn't fallen out of the sky or any other bizarre behaviors. Check the batteries after every use (easily done post flight in HD) and recycle (discharge/recharge) every 2 uses. Follow a rigorous checklist as you would as a pilot (it becomes second nature once you adopt the habit). You will not have any problems.
I assume you mean 20 and not 2?

Would be nice if DJI provided a turnkey smart charging hub that would take the guesswork out of battery maintenance. I have a charger for my Chroma that I can hit a couple buttons, put it in storage mode, and it will charge or discharge the battery as necessary to 50%. Hmmm, maybe someone makes a cable that will allow me to charge my Inspire batteries too...

image.jpeg I cobbled together some cables for my old Shutterhawk Supercharger although am a bit nervous using it because as far as I can figure out, all you can do is sit and watch the voltage drop to spec. Then unplug. Got the connectors for the battery end from one of these big electrical stores that sells anything the trade needs, some very obscure bits. In the cable connector section I found some small flat connectors that are exactly the same dimensions as one pin on the Inspire charger connector. See attached, looks a mess but works fine for connecting.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
Hi Bruce,

Have your packs stored at 50-60% (around 3.86v per cell) - like this they can be left indefinitely

DJI told me they cant be left indefinitely at 2-3 bars and I should have checked them every 30 days... This (and being a few months out of warranty) was their case for not providing a new battery to me..

So what is the truth? I would definitely not leave them sit indefinitely.. According to DJI they will still discharge....

DJI told me they cant be left indefinitely at 2-3 bars and I should have checked them every 30 days... This (and being a few months out of warranty) was their case for not providing a new battery to me..

So what is the truth? I would definitely not leave them sit indefinitely.. According to DJI they will still discharge....
So they didn't mention hibernation mode then?
Again I think you have spoken to a DJI 'tech' who doesn't have a clue what they are talking about.
As long as you are running the latest firmware on all batteries then the over discharge function has been fixed (it specifically mentions this in the release notes).
This means that after a prolonged period of non use (and correctly stored at 3.86v per cell) a pack will enter hibernation mode.
Basically the circuitry within the battery will go into an extremely low quiescent current discharge of microamps.
Like this, a pack can be left for months at a time with no ill effect.
Make sure you are running v1.8 firmware though or this may not be the case.
I have no idea who DJI employ in their 'help centre' locations but perhaps they should supply them with better scripts or correct information.

So they didn't mention hibernation mode then?
Again I think you have spoken to a DJI 'tech' who doesn't have a clue what they are talking about.
As long as you are running the latest firmware on all batteries then the over discharge function has been fixed (it specifically mentions this in the release notes).
This means that after a prolonged period of non use (and correctly stored at 3.86v per cell) a pack will enter hibernation mode.
Basically the circuitry within the battery will go into an extremely low quiescent current discharge of microamps.
Like this, a pack can be left for months at a time with no ill effect.
Make sure you are running v1.8 firmware though or this may not be the case.
I have no idea who DJI employ in their 'help centre' locations but perhaps they should supply them with better scripts or correct information.

I provided them with all the info. I've spoken and emailed with 10 different DJI techs all with the same result - so they all must be dumb..

I did not update to 1.8 because of all the issues people having with range loss, bricking on update, etc, etc... Loads of people still have yet to update, I know people on v1.4 still

I have other lipos that have been in storage for well over 18 months and lost maybe 10%, so WTF gives on DJI crap.

Anyways, I've vented enough. It all seems to be my fault apparently....

I provided them with all the info. I've spoken and emailed with 10 different DJI techs all with the same result - so they all must be dumb..

I did not update to 1.8 because of all the issues people having with range loss, bricking on update, etc, etc... Loads of people still have yet to update, I know people on v1.4 still

I have other lipos that have been in storage for well over 18 months and lost maybe 10%, so WTF gives on DJI crap.

Anyways, I've vented enough. It all seems to be my fault apparently....
The problem is there was a bug in previous firmware (now fixed in 1.8) that allowed batteries to continue to discharge over long periods. This is why I mentioned you must be on v1.8 for it to be addressed.
Issues with DJI packs stem from the fact they always have the logic board in circuit unlike standard Lipos which are totally disconnected and open circuit when not attached to anything.
DJI 'intelligent' batteries are unfortunately not as smart as they like to tell us they are and with bad coding in the firmware can give problems.
I believe the 10 DJI individuals you spoke to were reading off a script they are handed to corporately protect the company from having to replace hundreds, maybe thousands of destroyed batteries due to their bug.
They cannot be sure what version of FW people are running so have to protect themselves with the story you have been given.
Hope that clarifies things. :)

Reactions: Ward Paterson
Huh, sounds a bit like Talk Talk Call Centre (UK telephone service provider) Ward. Every time we have a problem with our broadband I remove the phone socket cover plate and connect our kit directly to the second socket (used by telecom technicians). I then have to wait whilst the call centre person tells me to remove the two screws and remove...you get my drift. As Ed says call centre staff work off a script. If you escalate a problem through to the second or third line support team then you start to communicate with people who are trained to resolve a technical issue - rather than just fob you off! Problem is getting through that first line of defence. You have my sympathy!

Last edited:
Reactions: Ward Paterson
I'm totally over DJI now anyways.. They are a bunch of numpties as far as I am concerned.. Yuneec will definitely get my money soon.

I was contacted yesterday by Australian Consumer Affairs (ACCC) so I now they're looking into it. Apparently I'm not the only one who's complained about the poor consumer support and bad practices in Australia..

I'll update here how I go with it.

Thanks for the support guys.

after sending four batteries back because they wouldn't charge, because of prolonged inactivity over the winter, dji sends me one back and keeps three, telling me they're swollen. for the record and this post, i did try to upgrade their firmware. the one they sent back, when i try to charge, only one light double flicks and it's the one closest to the power button. can anyone tell me what this means?

after sending four batteries back because they wouldn't charge, because of prolonged inactivity over the winter, dji sends me one back and keeps three, telling me they're swollen. for the record and this post, i did try to upgrade their firmware. the one they sent back, when i try to charge, only one light double flicks and it's the one closest to the power button. can anyone tell me what this means?
Have you looked at page 22 of the manual?

Wow. it just gets better and better with DJI.... I've got a 20% code to purchase a new TB47, I'm thinking I wont and just sell the bird.. crazy times.

i might buy a couple if i had a 20% discount. when they tell me they've taken care of my 'ticket' i just reply that it's only fair for them to replace my 3. same ole same ole. great product, terrible company.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unitedconveyormktg