Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Battery Conditioning

At what percentage do you land

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I never land at any percentage as I take no notice of the %display.
I do land at around 3.4v per cell under load though. :)

I know your Kung-Fu style pretty well now and I read your post across town. Commercial pilots;)

Also I have your old post concerning this subject on speed dial, instructor.

You didn’t give me a chance to wrap things up though. I wanted to

I think I’ve been waaay to conservative!

So at 20% full throttle I’m at 3.7 v

Does this mean I can fly till 10% as long as I’m not below 3.4 under load?

I think I’ve been waaay to conservative!

So at 20% full throttle I’m at 3.7 v

Does this mean I can fly till 10% as long as I’m not below 3.4 under load?
Even though we do not know the exact specs these batteries have pretty low C ratings. The 20% rule was addopted long time ago in fast drain high C discharge applications such as RC helicopters, cars etc. Drones, in general terms are pretty low C rate applications and as long as you do not go crazy with sticks when you are bellow 20% I am pretty sure you can discharge the batteries down to 10% without dramatically shortening their lifespan.

Reactions: slim.slamma
Even though we do not know the exact specs these batteries have pretty low C ratings. The 20% rule was addopted long time ago in fast drain high C discharge applications such as RC helicopters, cars etc. Drones, in general terms are pretty low C rate applications and as long as you do not go crazy with sticks when you are bellow 20% I am pretty sure you can discharge the batteries down to 10% without dramatically shortening their lifespan.

Spoiled myself with the i1 battery mod.

Before the mod I ruined a few packs.

So I’ve been pretty conservative this time around landing around 40%, 3.8v under load.

I intend on getting my money’s worth out of DJi being a pair is pretty expensive.

Reactions: Phil DeVore
I never land at any percentage as I take no notice of the %display.
I do land at around 3.4v per cell under load though. :)
That’s exactly what I do when possible. I watch the voltage rather than the battery display. Sometimes I don’t have a choice but I try to run my batteries down to 7% or around there whenever possible.

They te
Spoiled myself with the i1 battery mod.

Before the mod I ruined a few packs.

So I’ve been pretty conservative this time around landing around 40%, 3.8v under load.

I intend on getting my money’s worth out of DJi being a pair is pretty expensive.
I have heard that it’s better to watch the voltage and not depend on the battery percentage display.

They te

I have heard that it’s better to watch the voltage and not depend on the battery percentage display.

I agree.

On my i1 at 35% my voltage reading is at 3.5. It’s past landing time.

Sometimes I don’t have a choice but I try to run my batteries down to 7% or around there whenever possible.
What’s your voltage at 7% under load?
With new batteries, drainages that low might turn into a problem down the road. IMHO from my past i1 experience.

This is a fairly dynamic answer in that there are many variables that go into what percentage...or in my case voltage per cell...I decide to land at. Environmental conditions, flight area size, complexity of the area, could anything prevent you temporarily from landing, battery age and condition, etc. all play a roll into determining when to land.

In short and trying to fit an answer into the question posed, as an SOP in the best of conditions, I try to touch down at nothing less than 15%.

I also try to look at how soon do I need that particular set of batteries charged and ready to fly. The lower you drain them, the longer it takes to recharge them.

I’m a 40% guy with a 3.7v.

Who landing at 50%?

Probably a hobbyist like myself!

I guess if others fly for money, packs are easily replaced.

If one cell goes bad out of twelve cells, that pair is garbage:mad:

They won’t get me again. I had a total of 11 inspire 1 packs:oops:

Flying below 30% was my downfall:(

A cell going bad is just the nature of LiPo batteries. It is mostly due to manufacturing processes and to much lesser degree to how low you discharge it, as long as you stay above beyond recovery voltage which is about 3V. The main risk of flying under 3.7V per cell under load is that with increasing number of charge cycles they tend to go over the cliff at higher voltage, meaning loosing almost completely power in a matter of seconds and you do not want to experience that !! So, 3.7V is a safe margin for me.

I land based upon the lower of either voltage under load being 3.4v or 10% charge left, which tend to be at about the same time.

From memory, I have only suffered three battery cell issues, all of which occurred on relatively new batteries. With over 100 charge cycles on all 18 of my I1 batteries and over 80 cycles on my 16 I2 batteries I haven’t experienced reduced battery life despite these relatively deep discharge practices.

My colleague (who doesn’t fly every week as I do) has been less fortunate, with several I1 cell failures at various battery ages. They have all occurred after periods of non use and we suspect they have been caused by the quiescent battery drain taking the cell voltage too low for recovery.

With over 100 charge cycles on all 18 of my I1 batteries and over 80 cycles on my 16 I2 batteries I haven’t experienced reduced battery life despite these relatively deep discharge practices.

Not bad.

Notice any cell deviation with the i2 packs?

Not bad.

Notice any cell deviation with the i2 packs?

Some of the I1 cells are less than perfect but the I2 cells are all looking good so far.

My guess is that the I1 batteries are starting to suffer as I am not using the I1 as regularly these days.

Some of the I1 cells are less than perfect but the I2 cells are all looking good so far.

My guess is that the I1 batteries are starting to suffer as I am not using the I1 as regularly these days.
Atti full throttle mines jump around:eek:

compared to GPS, Voltage stays pretty even under load. I assumed in atti mode i could expect less power being pulled:confused:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaricruzRa