Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Battery discharger for inspire 2

Reaction score
Every few months you need to discharge the batteries to ensure you get maximum life I have built and tested one using my old I1 kit and a new cable

smaller2  004.jpg smaller2  003.jpg

It is not for maximum life (that will depend on many things)
It is to recalibrate the 'The guage' points and give the algorithms a full and empty state which changes over time/use.

Okay i understand, since i got my I2 and first battery set i have done 25 flights one the first battery set. I just simply wanted to get a full discharge on this battery set. And then recharge to maximum. I have a serious demonstration on 4th Feb and wanted every base covered. I did notice the I2 battery don't get as hot as the I1 or P3A when discharged this way. Maybe its new technology or better software in the battery.

Okay i understand, since i got my I2 and first battery set i have done 25 flights one the first battery set. I just simply wanted to get a full discharge on this battery set. And then recharge to maximum. I have a serious demonstration on 4th Feb and wanted every base covered. I did notice the I2 battery don't get as hot as the I1 or P3A when discharged this way. Maybe its new technology or better software in the battery.
Just higher C rated cells. :)

sounds interesting can you supply a link please

Sure: Official Inspire 2 ***Owner's Thread*** - Page 246 - RC Groups

In summary:
The only reason to calibrate the older packs was to see the what capacity was lost since last calibration. If this wasn't done the firmware would do a rough calculation on lost mah , usually wrong. This is why it was recommend to calibrate after about 20 flights or when the battery requested it.

With these newer packs its not required or recommended to calibrate.

Sure: Official Inspire 2 ***Owner's Thread*** - Page 246 - RC Groups

In summary:
The only reason to calibrate the older packs was to see the what capacity was lost since last calibration. If this wasn't done the firmware would do a rough calculation on lost mah , usually wrong. This is why it was recommend to calibrate after about 20 flights or when the battery requested it.

With these newer packs its not required or recommended to calibrate.
Oh yes it is - DJI's algorithms for battery estimations are crap (and always have been).
They insist on flying on using a 'percentage' display which is just stupid.
Voltage is absolute, percentage is just a guess.
There are so many variables involved with pack care and user abused scenarios that over time the end points of 'Empty' and 'Full' will move.
The only way to properly get these limits is to fully charge and fully deplete to LVC.

DJI also said to compass calibrate before every flight on their earlier aircraft - that was rubbish as well and bad advice. Some people are still doing it though and wonder why they lose their UAV to TBE or it just flies 'funny' :rolleyes:

Your Inspire though - your choice.

i think i will stick to the recommend recalibration period its like my Mac Book Pro after time it need a complete discharge for the estimations to work correctly. Its obvious the max and minimum will change wit time as the battery gets older. to get an update on max and minimum gives the pilot a better decision based on this data

I have always wondered if the rate of discharge would affect the calibration. Would there be a difference between running it down by flying it vs using a discharge device. I am assuming it would not drain the batteries as fast as flying. Also would the pairing have any impact?

Sent from my iPad using InspirePilots

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawsonlee