Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Bay Area Pilots?

Yeah advanced notice needed. :) But would love to GTG with some pilots again before I head out on the 15th of July.

Planning to fly during the Warriors Championship Parade. Who's down?! Probably going to hang at the Henry J. Kaiser Convention center at Lake Merrit where the parade will conclude and the fan fest begins. Planning to be there 8a or so and try to grab a spot on the grass.

Planning to fly during the Warriors Championship Parade. Who's down?! Probably going to hang at the Henry J. Kaiser Convention center at Lake Merrit where the parade will conclude and the fan fest begins. Planning to be there 8a or so and try to grab a spot on the grass.
****! I want too! I've got prior obligations :-(.

sounds cool but I will have to pass flying near a parade. I was flying on permits and a heavy insurance policy to get some footage last weekend and got in some serious hot water due to the "flying within 500ft of people" rule..... Assholes at the Modesto RC Club filed a complaint with the FAA and even with flight clearance from the local airport and the FAA as well as the city of Modesto and covered on the cities liability insurance it resulted in a fine and I'm a little chapped over the situation and parked my bird for a bit. For the record, I was not flying over anybody, I was actually on a closed top floor of a parking garage (that's on a hard cornered street) and was hovering at 100ft pointing down the street of the parade. But that was still within 500ft of any person not associated with the filming and direct event.

Just be aware that there are people out there that are focused on looking for anything in anyway to bust our asses because these RC plane pilots done like drone operators, period!

Reactions: SkySav
sounds cool but I will have to pass flying near a parade. I was flying on permits and a heavy insurance policy to get some footage last weekend and got in some serious hot water due to the "flying within 500ft of people" rule..... Assholes at the Modesto RC Club filed a complaint with the FAA and even with flight clearance from the local airport and the FAA as well as the city of Modesto and covered on the cities liability insurance it resulted in a fine and I'm a little chapped over the situation and parked my bird for a bit. For the record, I was not flying over anybody, I was actually on a closed top floor of a parking garage (that's on a hard cornered street) and was hovering at 100ft pointing down the street of the parade. But that was still within 500ft of any person not associated with the filming and direct event.

Just be aware that there are people out there that are focused on looking for anything in anyway to bust our asses because these RC plane pilots done like drone operators, period!

Seriously? Wow...just wow. Did the RC boys express why?

Sounds like to me some of those RC guy got butt hurt in the past.

Since I posted on the News thread about the firm intentions for the Part 107 approval by the FAA, I wonder how would the RC and the rest of folks would feel if you has that endorsement.

As they were yelling at me "Its assholes like you that are screwing it up for everybody" and "There hasn't be really any issues till all of you idiots and your drones started coming out, breaking laws, invading people privacy and creating to dangers to innocent people just to get that 'Perfect Shot'"..... to start. Unfortunately it got into very heated argument because this group set me off making these claims and although there was no physical altercations it still had to get broken up by the police that were supervising the parade.

My contact at the FAA was actually the one who notified me. I guess they had taken photos of where I was flying and relative position to spectacors and he was sympathetic as he could tell I was taking every precaution possible and played by the rules but the one rule that still stood true was I WAS within 500ft of unassociated spectators.

Im deciding how much of a war I want to go at with these idiots as their new airport is about 1 mile form my house and come to find out it is also in several violations of FAA and AMA policy and rules. I personally would love to have their AMA certification pulled.

I seems that past posting of how much hate are towards drones it does seem to stem from the artistic side of the use along with proximity to crowds. I would think that avoiding events where a number of people are present is the right course of action right now.

Bur as Eric says,...
haters-gonna-hate08.gif

Reactions: PureSQNut
Argh:-( I wonder too. Sometimes I feel like I'm surrounded by a holes. Then I realize I am. Apparently they were jealous of what we do. I'd fight that fine to the end.

It was $250 for the fine.... I have filed a petition of complaint to the claim. They will review it and let me know. If I have to pay it I am going to make sure that this club understands that Two can play at this game.

WTF!! (I normally don't swear) Turbo is getting shot at multiple times and SQnut fined by FAA?

Turbo, I know you're moving soon but if you have the time, I agree get STATE Police involved.

Nut, Pretty sure you took all precautions needed, yeah, I'd definitely take down their new flying field close to an airport F 'em and maybe you can provide Turbo with the info of your FAA contact?

They are just jealous 'cause you can take off/land wherever you want and they need a landing strip LOL

message me Monday and ill buzz you over his contact info in Washington. Its on my work computer so I don't have it on me

two can play at this game.

I understand that you are upset, and it sounds to me like you were being careful. But I'm sure you knew that you were ignoring the 500 foot rule, so you kind of left yourself open. It sounds as though they came at you with a very unfortunate attitude... and you responded in kind, and the police were called, so everybody lost on that one.

Anyway, if we RC guys, drone and conventional spend our energy and effort pissing in each others canoes we'll all have wet bottoms. Somebody has to turn the page and move on first or this stuff goes on forever, so why not be the guy on the high road?

Hey all! I'm very surprised to here about the fines. OC, thx for replying to my invite to shoot at the GSW Parade. I posted up at Lake Merrit where the Paraded ended and captured this:

Nobody hassled me. But walking to my car I passed several police officers. I was carrying Zero (my I1) by hand and one of the officers said, "Oh, you're the one flying that thing? They were looking for you." Based on his tone I couldn't tell if he was joking. Hade me a little nervous but they didn't do anything. Love to here your thoughts!
image.jpg

Yeah advanced notice needed. :) But would love to GTG with some pilots again before I head out on the 15th of July.
Well we should take the next step and set a date that's what kicked it off last time then we dial-in the place to meet up

I understand that you are upset, and it sounds to me like you were being careful. But I'm sure you knew that you were ignoring the 500 foot rule, so you kind of left yourself open. It sounds as though they came at you with a very unfortunate attitude... and you responded in kind, and the police were called, so everybody lost on that one.

Anyway, if we RC guys, drone and conventional spend our energy and effort pissing in each others canoes we'll all have wet bottoms. Somebody has to turn the page and move on first or this stuff goes on forever, so why not be the guy on the high road?

I am trying.... This weekend they took another shot at me as the guy who initiated the issue prior problem took a photo of my car and plate and somehow knows where I live. This weekend I was flying on Saturday at my house and about 15 minutes after I started flying he showed up in his car when a local Sheriff and actually wanted to file a citizens complaint against me. After talking with the Sherriff and showing him the FAA website for UAV's he left without report and I took off again in front of that *******. He had a few choice words for me and left in a big hurry in his car.

How he knew I was flying was baffling me until after doing some more investigating I found out that one of the members of this club lives in my neighborhood. So......... Yeah Im trying to take the high road.... but there is also a point that says this is personal now as well since he has come to my home...

I have yet to do ANYTHING but fly my I1.... These guys are literally acting like FAA police and based on my call with my contact at the FAA they also have been called by this group as well.

According to my conversation this morning there is lots of reports thru the US with issues like this being emailed, phoned etc to them from RC clubs about drone operators.

I will say this.... we are all human. We try our best. If there is an issue that needs to be addressed, come to us with a respectfully and professional manner and we can work together to resolve the issue and keep moving to a better place for ALL OF US to fly. But their attitude is 100% ******* and get off my turf.... nothing short of that.

Reactions: SkySav
I am trying.... This weekend they took another shot at me as the guy who initiated the issue prior problem took a photo of my car and plate and somehow knows where I live. This weekend I was flying on Saturday at my house and about 15 minutes after I started flying he showed up in his car when a local Sheriff and actually wanted to file a citizens complaint against me. After talking with the Sherriff and showing him the FAA website for UAV's he left without report and I took off again in front of that *******. He had a few choice words for me and left in a big hurry in his car.

How he knew I was flying was baffling me until after doing some more investigating I found out that one of the members of this club lives in my neighborhood. So......... Yeah Im trying to take the high road.... but there is also a point that says this is personal now as well since he has come to my home...

I have yet to do ANYTHING but fly my I1.... These guys are literally acting like FAA police and based on my call with my contact at the FAA they also have been called by this group as well.

According to my conversation this morning there is lots of reports thru the US with issues like this being emailed, phoned etc to them from RC clubs about drone operators.

I will say this.... we are all human. We try our best. If there is an issue that needs to be addressed, come to us with a respectfully and professional manner and we can work together to resolve the issue and keep moving to a better place for ALL OF US to fly. But their attitude is 100% ******* and get off my turf.... nothing short of that.

You know check into the possibility of stalking and harassment charges.

Reactions: Eric
I will be doing another flight for video of a car show in a couple weeks as well. With people around. We are posting signs at the entrance and all of the vehicle entrants will have to sign their registration paperwork as well acknowledging that this aerial and other photography will be taking place and if there is any issues with it that they will be not be allowed to attend the event. The owner of the property, the show management and the club responsible for the show have all given written authorization to fly at this event. Also even though it is out of flight controlled territory also notified the closest airport (same as last weekends) that I will be there.

After talking with my contact at the FAA is it is posted, advertised and even signed by entrants and contestants of a public event and done with the written approval and the property, the promoter and the organization hosting it then it IS legal.

Reactions: SkySav and Eric

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lizamartin8033