Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Best Camera Setting For Still Shots

Reaction score
Website
droneworxs.com.au
Looking for some help on taking nice sharp stills on the Inspire . Whats the best settings
I had been using the ND filters for videos and while up in the air taking still shots with the filters on but the photos just don't look sharp and when i sharpen them in Premier Pro theres to much noise.

Also should log mode be used for still shots ?

Any help much appreciated

The X3 uses a chip of the quality used in compact cameras before 2010.............so thats the quality you can get. Because its a Sony chip used with typical washed Sony settings its more unsharp then noise but basically both.

I use it only for video for this reasons.

Only use clear lens for photos, shoot in log mode, underexpose slightly for best results

I was out shooting some footage yesterday at dawn and took some 4k footage as well as some stills
I found taking a frame grab from the 4k footage in prem pro looked pretty good compared to the raw files which were very noisy.
Ok so you don't get as much latitude in post but the I was surprised how good the frame grab was.
Dorking, early morning mist.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hutchweb
I was out shooting some footage yesterday at dawn and took some 4k footage as well as some stills
I found taking a frame grab from the 4k footage in prem pro looked pretty good compared to the raw files which were very noisy.
Ok so you don't get as much latitude in post but the I was surprised how good the frame grab was.
Dorking, early morning mist.
With or without an ND?
Any sharpening in camera?
I'm coming round to the same way of thinking - frame grabs actually look better than stills (even dng's).

Ed,
Stock DJI ND4 (although may have been an ND 8... I changed as the session went on), no sharpening in camera.
Then put the exported tif. frame through "difine" a Nik lightroom addon which is excellent for reducing noise and did the usual level corrections in Lightroom.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Editor
I had been using the ND filters for videos and while up in the air taking still shots with the filters on but the photos just don't look sharp and when i sharpen them in Premier Pro there's to much noise.
First, unless you have a particular reason to use the ND filters, leave them off for stills.
They are only going to force your camera to use a slower shutter speed or higher ISO.
If you have to ask about settings, it's probably a good idea to go back to plain auto and see how that works.
Make adjustments from there if necessary.

With tricky subjects, you could also try bracketing, using AEB 3 to take a group of 3 pix at slightly different exposure settings to give you a few to choose from.

Reactions: MinDTraX
How much imaging experience do you have? That x5 can be so automatic you can basically fly and press the shutter button if your inexperienced. Just a basic FYI. If your shooting landscapes and need depth of field shoot in Apeture Priority mode. If your shooting a fast action scene you may want to shoot in Shutter Priority mode. I could talk all day....:)

Reactions: MarkLincs

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redrocksshuttle