Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Best device for the Inspire 1

Reaction score
I currently have an iPhone 6+ but want a bigger screen, so which is the best device for the Inspire 1?
I will only use the device for the Inspire 1 and nothing else.

First off, is there any differences between he Pilot app for Android and the Pilot app for IOS? Since I'm used to the IOS Pilot app and have never tested the Android version i would maybe favor an iPad, but at the same time Android devices are much cheaper.

If i go with an iPad does it matter which iPad i chose, for example iPad Air, iPad Air 2, iPad Mini, etc. or are they equally suited for use with the Inspire 1?
And i guess the Gigabyte doesn't matter at all?

If i chose to go with an Android device, does it work with all Android devices or which ones does work with the Inspire 1?
And are there any Android devices that are more suited for use with the Inspire 1 than others?

I heard people using the Nvidia device, but i guess its not that cheap, what was the advantage on the Nvidia. was it that it had streaming capabilities or something like that?

I would really appreciate some input. Thanks in advance.

Any Apple device that has an A7 or A8 processor will work. 16GB is fine if you don't plan to use the device for much of anything else and do not plan on recording the videos on the device as you fly. That normally slows it down, so it's best to disable the "Video Cache" setting in DJI GO.

If you go with Android, choose something on the following list:
Tablets and phones that work well with DJI Go & DJI Pilot | DJI Phantom Forum

No matter which device you go with, here are some settings that help them run smoothly:

Apple device: HOW TO: Optimize Apple device for the best DJI Pilot app performance | DJI Phantom Forum
Android device: DJI Forum|Phantom 3 Lag / Pause Android in FPV

Last edited:
Thanks for the information. Okay and i guess there is no noticeable difference between the A7 and A8X iPads when it comes to using them with the Inspire 1?

What about the Pilot app for Android and Pilot app for IOS, do they have all the same functions or are there any differences between the Android app and the IOS app?
I think i have seen some people complain about things in the Android app, i don´t remember what though?

One of the biggest differences is the lack of a simulator in the Android version.
That was the reason for me to get an iPad mini2. Besides, a capable Android tablet, like the Nvidia Shield, is about the same cost as a Ipad Mini2.

The Android version does work quite good on my Samsung Galaxy phone though the screen is a bit small. Great for backup though. I like to be able to use both IOS and Android. There are some apps, like Ultimate Flight, that don't run on a IOS (yet), and some that don't on Android (yet), like AutoflightLogic Autoplilot.

It basically comes down to what you prefer. I use both.

Oh so the Android app doesnt have the simulator, well then thats settled, i definitely need the simulator to be able to practice flying every now and then. So it seems i will need an iPad Mini/Air.

About the Nvidia Shield, why is that particular tablet much liked? Was it something with its streaming capabilities or is it better in some other way?

Let me ask about the simulator, does it behave exactly as the drone would behave in real life, so that if there is some problem with the drone for example with the compass so it would fly erratically in real life, would it also fly the same erratic way in the simulator?

I have the Nvidia shield and so far the DJI GO app has crashed on it once every time I have used it. It has happened while flying and while playing on the ground. I have not been able to tie it to a specific action yet. I just look down and see the application has stopped message. It is easily restarted and connects quickly but still pretty unsettling. Has I know this would happen I would have bought an iPad Air 2.

That doesn't sound good. I am thinking that maybe i should buy an iPad Mini 2/3, i think that the Air will maybe be a bit too big for me, or actually its the weight thats the important thing , don´t know how much more the Air weighs compared to the Mini, but i guess there is some difference?

That doesn't sound good. I am thinking that maybe i should buy an iPad Mini 2/3, i think that the Air will maybe be a bit too big for me, or actually its the weight thats the important thing , don´t know how much more the Air weighs compared to the Mini, but i guess there is some difference?

I found this page which has a good comparison, including the weight.

iPad - Compare iPad models. - Apple

I have used an iPad Air and now a Mini 2. I prefer the Mini. Controller is more manageable.

About the Nvidia Shield, why is that particular tablet much liked? Was it something with its streaming capabilities or is it better in some other way?
It's just very powerful and the app runs more smoothly than on most other android devices.

Running the Sony Xperia Z3 tablet and I'm very surprised by it.It's much better then my Samsung 8.4 tab pro.No crashes at all and video is very good.Another great thing is the battery.Flying for almost 2hrs and battery is just under 74%.Was not sure when I read the reviews,but it works very good.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
klrshopfitters