Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Best Pano Shot I've taken so far

Reaction score
Website
www.to-vp.com

Nothing to crazy here but I've been having a lot of fun using the Inspire as an opportunity to capture images that I could not get with my DSLR. This was a 5 shot pano taken the other night down the street from my residence. For those interested in the settings they were as follows:
Manual exposure
ISO 100/ F2.8 (obviously) 1/60sec + the stock 2 stop ND
Custom Style set to:
-2 for sat and contrast
0 for sharpening
Shot in raw and the pano was stitched in Lightroom CC.

Cheers,
Taylor

Last edited:
Thanks guys! Appreciate it. That new lightroom pano feature works great so far and the best part is the file still stays as a raw file. The next one I try will be 2 shots tall by 5-6 or possibly more because I want to get one printed on metal eventually.

Nothing to crazy here but I've been having a lot of fun using the Inspire as an opportunity to capture images that I could not get with my DSLR. This was a 5 shot pano taken the other night down the street from my residence. For those interested in the settings they were as follows:
Manual exposure
Custom Style set to:
-2 for sat and contrast
0 for sharpening

Cheers,
Taylor
Great shot
I have been amazed at the additional stuff Lightroom CC does

Reactions: tbarnesarc

Manual exposure
Custom Style set to:
-2 for sat and contrast
0 for sharpening

Cheers,
Taylor

First of all, nice scene and great job putting it together in LR CC.

I'm not sure why it's necessary to have an ND for DNG, since for photos it's not necessary, but I assume you were also shooting video during the same flight, so fine. Also, I don't think your video settings (-2 for contrast and saturation) have any effect for stills, since DNG is by definition a RAW format, and records the scene as is. I may be wrong, perhaps someone else can clarify.

Here's another suggestion: Since you're shooting into the sunset, there is a large dynamic range in the scene, so why not do a 5 or 3-shot AEB at each station of your yaw, process the result for HDR, then stitch together in Pano. It can all be done in LR CC.

Edit: Remember to reduce ghosting in the AEB sequence when processing for HDR, due to the waves. ;)

Last edited:
First of all, nice scene and great job putting it together in LR CC.

I'm not sure why it's necessary to have an ND for DNG, since for photos it's not necessary, but I assume you were also shooting video during the same flight, so fine. Also, I don't think your video settings (-2 for contrast and saturation) have any effect for stills, since DNG is by definition a RAW format, and records the scene as is. I may be wrong, perhaps someone else can clarify.

Here's another suggestion: Since you're shooting into the sunset, there is a large dynamic range in the scene, so why not do a 5 or 3-shot AEB at each station of your yaw, process the result for HDR, then stitch together in Pano. It can all be done in LR CC.

Edit: Remember to reduce ghosting in the AEB sequence when processing for HDR, due to the waves. ;)

Thanks for your input @Quadpilot but you're incorrect about the use of ND in photography (shooting in RAW or otherwise). I've used ND a ton to stop down for a couple of different scenarios. Say you're using strobe in the late afternoon and you want a shallow DOF on your subject but your max flash sync speed is 1/200sec. that puts your aperture down to f11 or more. If you use some ND then enables you to open the aperture up to achieve a more shallow DOF. Another example is just long exposures in general. I use ND a ton in landscape photography because I couldn't get the shutter speed slow enough. Say I was at the beach at sunset. There's plenty of ambient light but you want to have the ocean have milky, smooth look so it's not to freeze the waves and ocean. It's a common practice in photography whether you're shooting in RAW or jpeg.

In terms of the video settings for contrast and saturation you are probably correct. Regardless that what I have them set to from the info I've gathered on this forum.

As far as using HDR for landscape work; I've done in the past with my DSLR, but often find it isn't a must, but with that said I was shooting on a full framed DLSR vs the tiny sensor of the Inspire. Regardless I'm going to give it a try sometime in the future as I think an HDR pano could be very cool if processed properly. There's nothing more than I cannot stand is that crunchy, candy, over baked HDR look. Grosses me out. haha.

Happy friday!

Thanks for your input @Quadpilot but you're incorrect about the use of ND in photography (shooting in RAW or otherwise). I've used ND a ton to stop down for a couple of different scenarios. Say you're using strobe in the late afternoon and you want a shallow DOF on your subject but your max flash sync speed is 1/200sec. that puts your aperture down to f11 or more. If you use some ND then enables you to open the aperture up to achieve a more shallow DOF. Another example is just long exposures in general. I use ND a ton in landscape photography because I couldn't get the shutter speed slow enough. Say I was at the beach at sunset. There's plenty of ambient light but you want to have the ocean have milky, smooth look so it's not to freeze the waves and ocean. It's a common practice in photography whether you're shooting in RAW or jpeg.

In terms of the video settings for contrast and saturation you are probably correct. Regardless that what I have them set to from the info I've gathered on this forum.

As far as using HDR for landscape work; I've done in the past with my DSLR, but often find it isn't a must, but with that said I was shooting on a full framed DLSR vs the tiny sensor of the Inspire. Regardless I'm going to give it a try sometime in the future as I think an HDR pano could be very cool if processed properly. There's nothing more than I cannot stand is that crunchy, candy, over baked HDR look. Grosses me out. haha.

Happy friday!

No argument about the many uses of ND filters for getting the effects you want. I was only referring to your using it in this particular instance to take the photos for your pano. But you're right that it will blur wave action if that's the effect you're looking for.

Yes, many people overdo the HDR processing to make it look unreal, but most programs, including LR6 or LR CC, will allow you tone map a more natural look. A little goes a long way, IMO. Just make it consistent across the pano.

Happy shooting!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaricruzRa