Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Canadian Pilots

What a sensible approach! Though in the last section "
"• Fly over crowds or higher than 90 metres"

I imagine in Canada you've got trees higher then that.

While the new guidelines do open up opportunities up here, there are still limits. For example commercial flying over populated areas will be restricted in most cases as it does not fall within the exemptions listed.

Those operators wanting to fly in conditions that do not meet the exemptions will still require a Special Flight Operations Certificate issued by Transport Canada. One of the primary mandates of that agency is public safety.

Still...it is a more progressive approach than currently available in the US.

Funny how the rest of the major countries can create a sensible RPV/Drone pilot licensing scheme that allows for commercial use, but the FAA is still pushing the full private pilot licensing requirement.

My best guess is that the FAA can only really threaten people who have a pilot's license. It would be nice if they would create a commercial RPV license but there is probably tremendous internal fighting about what training would be required for the license.

I'm a private pilot and sort of have an appreciation for why the FAA is heading that way. I think responsible flyers can largely self-regulate, but knowledge of airspace is something I believe anyone in the sky should be aware of. Sort of like as a minimum knowing the rules of the road to drive a scooter. A full license is probably overkill, but a certificate of some sort couldn't hurt and it would go a long way to appease opponents.

Reactions: DustyVisor
I'm a private pilot and sort of have an appreciation for why the FAA is heading that way. I think responsible flyers can largely self-regulate, but knowledge of airspace is something I believe anyone in the sky should be aware of. Sort of like as a minimum knowing the rules of the road to drive a scooter. A full license is probably overkill, but a certificate of some sort couldn't hurt and it would go a long way to appease opponents.
Anthony I totally agree. Some kind of license should be required, but not something that is clearly overkill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great start, and will need to mature.
I found the restriction about not flying when there are clouds quite limiting. If someone wants to claim you were flying illegally, they just need to point to a cloud in the sky.
Also the requirements to have a fire extinguisher pretty much rules out the capability to take the UAV on a hiking trip, unless you really like to carry weights in your backpack....
Yet, this is a progressive document that was certainly written by people in the know.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Great start, and will need to mature.
I found the restriction about not flying when there are clouds quite limiting. If someone wants to claim you were flying illegally, they just need to point to a cloud in the sky.
Also the requirements to have a fire extinguisher pretty much rules out the capability to take the UAV on a hiking trip, unless you really like to carry weights in your backpack....
Yet, this is a progressive document that was certainly written by people in the know.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
doesnt say how big of extinguisher is needed. there are pretty small ones now that could easily fit in a bag and are no bigger then a large bottle of water

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LewisuhaAbips