Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Carry the drone with X7 gimbal attached?

Reaction score
Hiya,
For shorter transportations is it safe to have the gimbal and X7 camera with lens attached?
For example from house to car and then walk for a few minutes. Or should I pack down the gimbal and lens and have them in the little box they come with?

In general transportation is a bit of challenge currently. We have the full Inspire 2 Cinema Premium package so lots of stuff, of course often we only bring some of it like 1 controller and 1 lens.
I was considering attaching the drone on the outside of our big backpacks and cover it with the rain cover maybe for longer trecks.
We have a big peli case for airplanes, but its HUGE so not great to bring in the car and not possible to care much.

Any thoughts are much appreciated!

Andreas

Hiya,
For shorter transportations is it safe to have the gimbal and X7 camera with lens attached?
For example from house to car and then walk for a few minutes. Or should I pack down the gimbal and lens and have them in the little box they come with?

In general transportation is a bit of challenge currently. We have the full Inspire 2 Cinema Premium package so lots of stuff, of course often we only bring some of it like 1 controller and 1 lens.
I was considering attaching the drone on the outside of our big backpacks and cover it with the rain cover maybe for longer trecks.
We have a big peli case for airplanes, but its HUGE so not great to bring in the car and not possible to care much.

Any thoughts are much appreciated!

Andreas
I am sure the answers will vary. I personally would not carry or transport the I2 with x7 attached for more than a few meters. It is a heavy camera and the three rubber dumper balls are stretched to their limits as they are. To me it looks like they were never actually designed to carry X7. Any extra load on them caused by carrying the drone would only add to wear and tear of the rubber balls. You might need to inspect them regularly for tears and likely needing to replace them more often then would otherwise be the case.

Last edited:
Reactions: PhantomFandom
How different is it just carrying the I2/X7 vs flying it with regard to weight on the rubber gimbal balls? I do not think that the gimbal balls were ever designed for the weight of the X7.

How different is it just carrying the I2/X7 vs flying it with regard to weight on the rubber gimbal balls? I do not think that the gimbal balls were ever designed for the weight of the X7.
Flying is a fluid type of motion. Carrying or transporting in car over bumps and humps can generate much stronger forces then flying. Also some may decide to carry the drone sideway which could stress one rubber ball much more then when the weight was evenly distributed in horizontal position. That is the way I see it anyway. But to each his own.

Reactions: SanCap
I did carry it side ways and from a mechanical point this did not look great, which is why I asked here. I think I will practice and become fast with putting the gimbal on and off instead of having it attached all the time.
Just bought the 9mm Lenowo lens btw, cant wait to try it out!

I fly an I2 with x5s. I will only leave the camera hanging on it if the travel between sites is short and smooth. If I am doing a project which requires driving some rough roads, no matter how nice the car/SUV is I would still remove the camera. I am hugely protective of my equipment, THUS I have never had any equipment issues. Also, I only use the carry case (DJI case) if I need to pack things in the trunk, etc or for a long trip. I do have a modified backpack that works great to strap the case onto. Most of the time I simply put the bare I2 (w/o camera & batteries) in the back of my SUV and everything else are in cases. One other thing, cheap gun cases work great to carry the batteries and radio.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
klrshopfitters