Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Central Australia

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm relatively new to the world of the Inspire 1 and aerial videography (I usually concentrate on underwater photography!).
This is my first real attempt at some proper flying and filming while on a recent visit to Alice Springs with my elderly parents (who are not ideal flying companions ... ;-)
I put the video together for them, so there is a bit of stuff that wouldn't usually "make the cut", and I left it at 1080, but its OK.

Its an amazing landscape, hope you enjoy!

Some great learnings and tips on this forum; I'm sure I'll be back for some advice on flying and filming in the future.

cheers
Dave
Darwin
Australia

Awesome footage Dave.
I am currently researching to buy an Inspire, our Aussie dollar is hurting us at the moment... did you buy yours here or overseas?
Wondering whether there are certain hurdles in terms of warranty and support if bought 'OS' from the likes of Amazon or other large online stores?

Awesome footage Dave.
I am currently researching to buy an Inspire, our Aussie dollar is hurting us at the moment... did you buy yours here or overseas?
Wondering whether there are certain hurdles in terms of warranty and support if bought 'OS' from the likes of Amazon or other large online stores?

Thanks Spool. There is so much to film in Central Australia I'm planning to go back down there as soon as the folks have gone home, its only a 1400km drive ;-)
I bought mine from an Australian supplier, from local stock, ordered on a sunday and arrived on the wednesday, in time for my birthday on the friday :) I wan't prepared to wait for an overseas delivery!
You might be able to buy a little cheaper from overseas, but you'll need to factor in the (very likely) customs duty that will be payable and consequent delay in delivery while customs hold onto it...
I'd rather strike up a relationship with a local supplier as they are more likely to assist with after sales support. One of the extra batteries that I bought with it was a dud and the supplier was good enough to quickly send me a replacement while they deal direct with DJI in China.
I found a reasonable deal that included the second remote, and make sure you're getting a recently built one with the ready installed quick-release props.

Thanks Spool. There is so much to film in Central Australia I'm planning to go back down there as soon as the folks have gone home, its only a 1400km drive ;-)
I bought mine from an Australian supplier, from local stock, ordered on a sunday and arrived on the wednesday, in time for my birthday on the friday :) I wan't prepared to wait for an overseas delivery!
You might be able to buy a little cheaper from overseas, but you'll need to factor in the (very likely) customs duty that will be payable and consequent delay in delivery while customs hold onto it...
I'd rather strike up a relationship with a local supplier as they are more likely to assist with after sales support. One of the extra batteries that I bought with it was a dud and the supplier was good enough to quickly send me a replacement while they deal direct with DJI in China.
I found a reasonable deal that included the second remote, and make sure you're getting a recently built one with the ready installed quick-release props.

Great advice!
Thank you Dave

In terms of $$$ for the dual setup you paid ~5k AUD?

I envy You. There are many beautiful places to visit in Australia. Show us more of them as You know how to use the I1.

Some very beautiful footage and the editing in itself is good, but may I suggest reducing the length of each segment. This would allow for people to stay focused on the content. The first few shots I thought 'this is nice footage' then after about 10 seconds of the same shot I was thinking 'this is taking a long time to transition'.

The key of course is having enough footage to populate several segments. This can present a challenge in itself. If you have it, great. If you don't have enough footage, I suggest you reduce the overall duration of the video.

Anyhow, I enjoyed it and look forward to more videos in the future.

Cheers

Reactions: Spool
Thanks for the comments guys, all appreciated.

Yes, I agree, segments are too long and it is also too long overall.
I got carried away, but in my defence I mainly produced it as a souvenir of the trip for my father, and then couldn't resist putting it on youtube!

Very happy to receive feedback on ways to improve.
If I get time this week I'll have another go.

cheers,

I got carried away, but in my defence I mainly produced it as a souvenir of the trip for my father, and then couldn't resist putting it on youtube!

cheers,

Great job Dave, I enjoyed it !!!

Dave that's some beautiful work there and I don't mind it being so long at all.

You did some really nice cuts in time with the music.

I loved the opening sequence, the white tree is amazing and the bit towards the end where you're following a rocky ridge line.

Brian

Just had to comment again as I've watched this video a dozen times now...

First off, although there are folks that prefer the quick cut approach I think your timing is just fine. This video pulls you in and the music, which I have to ask about, lends a feeling best experience un-rushed!

Now the music ... I've tried using Soundcloud to identify it but SC doesn't seem to recognize it. Please tell me who this is, the name of the piece and the album it's from.

Lastly, the opening shot with the bolder's ... there's one bolder there that looks like a baked potato...

Brian

cheers,

Really nice stuff Dave. And I wouldn't be too concerned about the length either. That's why we all make these videos. The slower movement of the shots allow the viewed to study locations in much more depth than is ever found on commercial TV documentaries. I liked the way the transitions matching the music too. Maybe I'm stating the obvious but well done!

Really nice stuff Dave. And I wouldn't be too concerned about the length either. That's why we all make these videos. The slower movement of the shots allow the viewed to study locations in much more depth than is ever found on commercial TV documentaries. I liked the way the transitions matching the music too. Maybe I'm stating the obvious but well done!

Completely agree -- the longer shots work in this case and the music selection further enforces the immersion. I suspect that you and I are of a different generation that's not nearly as enamored with quick cuts as the younger ones are...

Brian -- 59yo in Oct

Completely agree -- the longer shots work in this case and the music selection further enforces the immersion. I suspect that you and I are of a different generation that's not nearly as enamored with quick cuts as the younger ones are...

Brian -- 59yo in Oct

Who said anything about quick cuts? For the most part, shots that go on for an interminable length serve no purpose and do little or nothing for the overall piece. There is an old design adage that says, and I paraphrase: "If you can take away any element of the design without totally destroying it, then it needs to be removed."

Yes, there is a time and a place for long shots that serve a purpose. If you can find either of them, I highly recommend that you watch the movies The Man from London and/or The Turin Horse by Hungarian film director Béla Tarr. Then we can have a discussion about long shots. ;)

Do not assume that because anyone advocates discretion in editing that he or she is from another generation. It could be that the individual has been schooled in the art of editing.

Who said anything about quick cuts? For the most part, shots that go on for an interminable length serve no purpose and do little or nothing for the overall piece. There is an old design adage that says, and I paraphrase: "If you can take away any element of the design without totally destroying it, then it needs to be removed."

Yes, there is a time and a place for long shots that serve a purpose. If you can find either of them, I highly recommend that you watch the movies The Man from London and/or The Turin Horse by Hungarian film director Béla Tarr. Then we can have a discussion about long shots. ;)

Do not assume that because anyone advocates discretion in editing that he or she is from another generation. It could be that the individual has been schooled in the art of editing.

OK, so you've been schooled in the art of editing -- good for you!

Still doesn't change the fact that I liked his video as is.

I don't need someone to tell me what I should like or not so schooling me probably isn't in the cards.

Condescending much?

Here's a tip for you if you can squeeze it in with your schooling -- different people have different taste.

Brian

OK, so you've been schooled in the art of editing -- good for you!

Still doesn't change the fact that I liked his video as is.

I don't need someone to tell me what I should like or not so schooling me probably isn't in the cards.

Condescending much?

Here's a tip for you if you can squeeze it in with your schooling -- different people have different taste.

Brian

That was a well thought out argument. Yes, you are entitled to your opinion, as are the rest of us here.

And yes, you're right again. There are some people whose only taste is what they have in their mouths.

Yeah, I'm sorry if I was a little sharp but I do get a little ticked when I'm told that some famous guys ideas on minimalism is somehow required of everyone. In the 60's Sergio Leone made a name for himself but at the time that name wasn't so good. Critics panned his worked and ridiculed his style -- a style that often used very long scenes and shots with little action.

The opening scene in 'Once Upon a Time in the West' perfectly illustrates this style. Decades later many of the same critics that panned him now praise his work. In Once Upon a Time in the West a band of thugs are waiting for a train to arrive and there isn't a shot fired in well over 7 minutes -- if this had been Michael Bay they'd have been buzzing through thousands of rounds of mini-gun ammo within the first 7 seconds and it wouldn't have mattered that mini-guns didn't exist back then.

As to the video in question simply saying it's too long is not sufficient and is lazy criticism in my book. Now if I were to critique the movie I'd point out the couple scenes I'd have done differently. After the wonderful opening scene as he's flying over the baked potato rocks he cuts to a scene where he's flying along a dry stream bed and in my view the drone speed to a bit too slow, but I wouldn't cut that scene shorter as the timing is important for the transition to the next scene with the white tree in time with the music. The scene with the white tree is my favorite and is just about perfectly done in my view -- majestic actually.

Sometime later he's once again flying down a dry stream bed but this time there's people in the FOV -- I'd recommend that scene to be removed entirely. Later on there's a scene where he's flying down a dirt road with trees to either side and you can see the drones shadow -- I'd probably not have done that. Additionally, as he cuts away from that scene he tracks vertically but again a little slow for my taste. Lastly, the scene a bit later on as he's flying over a rocky ridge line I'd prefer that he not fly directly over it but about 20-30 feet right of the line.

So, although I love his video just the way it is I can see things that I'd want to do differently and in my critique I've spelled that out.

Brian

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melodee207