Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

USA Checking on expired licenses

A few words come to mind as to "Why Bother", professionalism, Integrity, self respect, honor, principle, liability, insurance, etc, etc.

I know.... I'm just venting.... Allow me to rant...

I'll be glad to police the vermin as we all should. I just need a little help from the FAA. In the case I cited, a major higher ed institution that will be posting illegally shot video and THEY don't care.

You know... it used to be that when you submitted a television commercial it had to meet certain standards. If you forgot to dot an I or cross a T it was rejected... Now they say "we don't care what you send us.. it could be an iPhone video and we'll run it."

This is our future people.... I have seen the "nobody cares" attitude creep into my photography/video profession for years. I teach college classes on my craft. I see it there big time. Now, these college grads in their safe rooms are running the show. We quote for a video shoot that requires lots of lighting and the youngster running the show says "we don't need that- just run the iso up." They don't get quality... just how fast and cheap. Not everyone feels this way, but enough......

This attitude is born from the $18,000 is a great annual salary, I live at home, I have no retirement plan pass the bong crowd. I see them every semester and it scares me. I'm only glad that I will be dead before they retire and have no way to exist.

I will continue to run my business on the up and up. I'll run it the way I have for over 30 years. Professionalism, Integrity, self respect, honor, principle, liability, insurance and all that stuff. I just have to accept that when the millennials are paying the bills that a $5,000 full day shoot will really be a $1,200 full day shoot.

Rant done. I'm going to have a Bloody Mary now.

I know.... I'm just venting.... Allow me to rant...

I'll be glad to police the vermin as we all should. I just need a little help from the FAA. In the case I cited, a major higher ed institution that will be posting illegally shot video and THEY don't care.

You know... it used to be that when you submitted a television commercial it had to meet certain standards. If you forgot to dot an I or cross a T it was rejected... Now they say "we don't care what you send us.. it could be an iPhone video and we'll run it."

This is our future people.... I have seen the "nobody cares" attitude creep into my photography/video profession for years. I teach college classes on my craft. I see it there big time. Now, these college grads in their safe rooms are running the show. We quote for a video shoot that requires lots of lighting and the youngster running the show says "we don't need that- just run the iso up." They don't get quality... just how fast and cheap. Not everyone feels this way, but enough......

This attitude is born from the $18,000 is a great annual salary, I live at home, I have no retirement plan pass the bong crowd. I see them every semester and it scares me. I'm only glad that I will be dead before they retire and have no way to exist.

I will continue to run my business on the up and up. I'll run it the way I have for over 30 years. Professionalism, Integrity, self respect, honor, principle, liability, insurance and all that stuff. I just have to accept that when the millennials are paying the bills that a $5,000 full day shoot will really be a $1,200 full day shoot.

Rant done. I'm going to have a Bloody Mary now.
Very true...... you only have to look now at the number of people watching Hollywood Feature releases on phones!!

There is no interest in quality whatsoever - as long as they are able to watch a few pixels changing colour and moving about they are happy.

Don't get me started.......

Reactions: slim.slamma
I'm sorry but I think it's ridiculous that you can't ascertain the status of a pilot from the FAA site......

Just a complete fail by the FAA...... Why bother renewing? No cop will even know better. I could direct them to the site and say "see..... I have a license" or show my original without an expiration date. Sorry but I'm really not happy with the FAA right now.

Next time I'm saving the $150. No one else cares why should I????????

PS- (retired cop here, 32 yrs.) Rest assured most cops are not familiar with part 107 and couldn't care less. We joined to catch criminals and drive with our hair on fire. Drone calls fall in the same attention basket as "cat in a tree" calls. I understand the FAA makes a lot of noise re: local law enforcement as the first level of enforcement ...bunk.

Not to say I would ever condone flying with expired privileges...just that no one should expect local law enforcement to have the background to police 107 issues. I served as a police chief and assure you the range of important topics we needed to address for in-service training was huge and there never was enough time. Don't think drones would crack the top 50!

But then you may run into the one cop out of a thousand who is a 107 and knows what credentials to ask for...... ;)

PS- (retired cop here, 32 yrs.) Rest assured most cops are not familiar with part 107 and couldn't care less. We joined to catch criminals and drive with our hair on fire. Drone calls fall in the same attention basket as "cat in a tree" calls. I understand the FAA makes a lot of noise re: local law enforcement as the first level of enforcement ...bunk.

Not to say I would ever condone flying with expired privileges...just that no one should expect local law enforcement to have the background to police 107 issues. I served as a police chief and assure you the range of important topics we needed to address for in-service training was huge and there never was enough time. Don't think drones would crack the top 50!

But then you may run into the one cop out of a thousand who is a 107 and knows what credentials to ask for...... ;)
Thank you for your service....
I agree that it should not be a priority for police. That's why We should be able to self police with the help of the FAA. I've done it for two years, but now that we can't see who's current I can't do it!

Reactions: licensed pilot

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
codymorgan