Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

USA Commercial drone flights - NYC - Trump Tower radius

Reaction score
Website
www.vflpix.com
Dear All,

I am a professional photographer and drone operator here in Europe and should be following a client in approx two months in New-York for one of his project in partnership with a major institution there. Long story short, the project requires drone shots and is at the edge - but inside - the Trump tower special authorization zone radius... There should be other projects in the US and I am looking into getting part 107 certification but that seems a bit ambitious for this fist event.

Would you have any infos if we should just forget about drone? Some involved have mentioned this but it seems hard to believe that it would be an absolute no no? Lift platforms and helicopter flights are on the list but not ideal in many regards. If drone is doable going with a local operator/company would probably be the idea, any suggestions?

Looking forward to your input, just getting the whole organization started and asking the local if any are around here seemed like a reasonable idea :)

Cheers!

Dear All,

I am a professional photographer and drone operator here in Europe and should be following a client in approx two months in New-York for one of his project in partnership with a major institution there. Long story short, the project requires drone shots and is at the edge - but inside - the Trump tower special authorization zone radius... There should be other projects in the US and I am looking into getting part 107 certification but that seems a bit ambitious for this fist event.

Would you have any infos if we should just forget about drone? Some involved have mentioned this but it seems hard to believe that it would be an absolute no no? Lift platforms and helicopter flights are on the list but not ideal in many regards. If drone is doable going with a local operator/company would probably be the idea, any suggestions?

Looking forward to your input, just getting the whole organization started and asking the local if any are around here seemed like a reasonable idea :)

Cheers!
Don't do it!

You definitely don't want to fool around anywhere near presidential zones. The Secret Service is very serious!

Beyond that, New York City has its own rules (not actually legal to have such rules per FAA) that prohibit all drone flights within the city limits. I personally have flown in NYC but briefly, with license in hand, and ready to pack up if asked by anyone to stop flying. As a foreigner, I would say it would not be wise to attempt flying in NYC.

Reactions: sdunwell
Keep in mind you WILL need that 107, non USA licenses are not recognized by FAA (unless that’s changed recently). Someone else may be able to confirm.

Someone above said NYC not legally able to have their own rules, while true, the FAA clearly states that Local authorities do own the rules around launch and landing sites. So, unless you plan on launching and landing from New Jersey, there’s no way to legally fly in NYC without permission from NYC government.

I have no idea if it’s possible to get permission, I would think it would be for really high end projects, not so much for small projects.

Reactions: sdunwell
You can fly from a boat on one of the rivers and designated model airplane flying areas, I know of only one in Flushing, only way to take off legally in NYC. However airspace around Trump Tower is most def a NFZ and especially now likely to be impossible to get clearence to fly without lengthy background checks and betting. Good luck.

Thank you for the answers! I have been getting in touch with a few companies and it seems that our solution will most likely be drones just outside the trump tower NFZ for the low altitude shots and helicopter flight for the top-down images from far above.

Reactions: niki
Someone above said NYC not legally able to have their own rules, while true, the FAA clearly states that Local authorities do own the rules around launch and landing sites. So, unless you plan on launching and landing from New Jersey, there’s no way to legally fly in NYC without permission from NYC government.
This is very true, however that only extends to public property owned by NYC. They cannot prohibit you from taking off/landing from your own private property or the private property of someone else whose permission you have obtained.

The NYC issue is not even an official law, likely because they know it would not be enforceable if challenged in court. They prohibit FLYING a UAS within city limits. They even ask residents to call 911 if they see a drone in the air. It's totally crazy.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nickolas74