Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Compass Calibrate Every Day?

Reaction score
I have a brand new (<3 months old) Inspire 2 bought from DJI. Every time I unpack and power up I have to recalibrate the compass. Typically the process completes without an issue and usually I’m good for the rest of the mission but it’s aggravating. (Not to mention slightly unprofessional looking as I stand there and turn in circles while my boss, peers or clients watch 😁). I had strobes mounted to the top and bottom; removing those didn’t change anything. Thoughts!

I don't recalibrate unless I'm more than 50 miles from the original calibration location. I've gone years without recalibrating. I have the Inspire (first gen).

I am flying an I 2 in various locations within about a 200 mile radius sometimes (usually) if we travel more than 50 miles, we will need to recalibrate.
Flying within a 20 mile radius, it will require it once in a while, but not every flight. This is an I2 that is about three years old. Not certain, because I have had it for about 2 1/2 years and bought it used. I should mention I am at a northern latitude, which causes more variance in magnetic compass readings with distance.
I would tell your clients that the I2 requires a compass calibration because it is such a precision machine, which results in the best product available for them. Just the truth.

I have a brand new (<3 months old) Inspire 2 bought from DJI. Every time I unpack and power up I have to recalibrate the compass. Typically the process completes without an issue and usually I’m good for the rest of the mission but it’s aggravating. (Not to mention slightly unprofessional looking as I stand there and turn in circles while my boss, peers or clients watch 😁). I had strobes mounted to the top and bottom; removing those didn’t change anything. Thoughts!
See if you have anything metal in the case that could be causing it.

What’s causing the continuos calibration request is DJI itself. :-(
They introduced that need to calibrate every 50Km in one of the firmware updates, it was not like that when the inspire was released to market.
I bought my inspire 2 about 3 years ago and I can assure that there has been a lot of firmware upgrades that felt like a downgrade. :-(
So…actually there is nothing wrong with your inspire, it’s working the way DJI intended to.

(Sorry about my English, not my mother languaje)

I used to be OCD about compass calibration. But over the years I've gotten lazy. So now I only calibrate when the UAV tells me to, which is practically never. As a habit, if I launch outside my state I will try to remember to recalibrate the compass. But honestly, after 6 years of flying I've yet to experience any kind of flight anomalies due to compass issues. I've been flying my Inspire 1 every week for years. I think the last time I calibrated it was well over a year ago...probably more than 2 years ago. Same goes with my P4P and my Mavic Pro. I haven't done the "compass dance" for years. And I fly my Inspire 1 every week and my P4P at least once a month but usually at least 2 or 3 times per month.

D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jenuk