Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Corrupted CineDNG and h264

TjS

Reaction score
Hi guys -

I returned from a 7 mile hike with Inspire 2 and X5S last evening and finally just had a chance to look at the footage. Unfortunately instead of finding beautiful footage of the Catskill mountains, I made a rather frustrating discovery. While half of the footage is absolutely perfect, all clips (besides the first and last one) on the last card that I shot are corrupted.

This is what they look like:

Screengrab from the CineDNG:

L9IBAux.jpg

3x3NPDb.jpg

Here is a sample CineDNG frame that shows the issue: A026_C007_20171010_R00000.dng

At first I thought it was a transferring issue from SSD to computer - but the clips definitely look the same on the SSD and surprisingly on the SD card (h264 HD resolution) as well.

This is straight from the microSD:

This is of course super frustrating as I assume there is no way to fix those files - meaning I lost half of my footage from yesterday. The odd thing is that I never had any problems before with this rig (camera or SSD) before. Clip 1 and 9 (the first and last) don't show any of those pixels. Also I shot about 1/2 of a 480GB SSD right before this and did not have a single issue - misseing frames or the pixel pattern.

One last piece of information that comes to mind: now that I see those patterns on the footage I remember that I had some strange lines on my monitor, while flying. I was pushing against range and reception issues, so I just assumed it was the video reception starting to fall apart. Now it actually seems like those patterns might have been visible on my screen as well as on the recorded footage.

I am curious to hear if anybody else has encountered this issue. I assume there is no way of fixing the footage? Could it be a connection issue at the port where X5S and I2 connect? Is it an image processing error?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Tim

Gear used:

Inspire 2
X5S with stock 15mm lens
480GB SSD recording 5K CineDNG and HD h264 to microSD.
Standard I2 controller w/ iPhone 7 Plus

Thats DJI gear for you, That gimbal connection is pretty secure but look at the contacts inside, I check mine all the time and try to be as delicate with it as possible.
As for lost footage it has happened to me from the beginning! not sure why I do not see more complaints about this around here. I actually lost the best 2 best scene shots on a paid job. got no error msg or indication on the screen, only had black recorded footage when I looked at the files. I ended up with the "backup" sd files but those are basically garbage H265 when it comes to Pro level.

Just ranting here I know... but my point is you will probably never find out why that happened to you. It seems that everytime I boot up my i2 there is some kind of error, issue, no DNG license then re-boot. Lately it is the new update to the Go4 App crashing.

Sorry I cannot be of any real help.

Thats DJI gear for you, That gimbal connection is pretty secure but look at the contacts inside, I check mine all the time and try to be as delicate with it as possible.
As for lost footage it has happened to me from the beginning! not sure why I do not see more complaints about this around here. I actually lost the best 2 best scene shots on a paid job. got no error msg or indication on the screen, only had black recorded footage when I looked at the files. I ended up with the "backup" sd files but those are basically garbage H265 when it comes to Pro level.

Just ranting here I know... but my point is you will probably never find out why that happened to you. It seems that everytime I boot up my i2 there is some kind of error, issue, no DNG license then re-boot. Lately it is the new update to the Go4 App crashing.

Sorry I cannot be of any real help.

I hear ya - just messing around with the I2 to see what I can get out of it (mostly flying much bigger machines with real cameras) but thats the sense I've been getting so far for sure! Actually having the No-DNG or ProRes license issues as well - if I boot the up the I2 with a SLR Magic 8mm lens I won't be able to record RAW or ProRes. If I boot it with the 15mm lens and then swap lenses after, its no problem at all. Doesn't really make much sense!! :-/

Well I will run some more tests and see if I can replicate it. Regardless this is a very odd and unfortunate issue to run in to.

Cheers!

I hear ya - just messing around with the I2 to see what I can get out of it (mostly flying much bigger machines with real cameras) but thats the sense I've been getting so far for sure! Actually having the No-DNG or ProRes license issues as well - if I boot the up the I2 with a SLR Magic 8mm lens I won't be able to record RAW or ProRes. If I boot it with the 15mm lens and then swap lenses after, its no problem at all. Doesn't really make much sense!! :-/

Well I will run some more tests and see if I can replicate it. Regardless this is a very odd and unfortunate issue to run in to.

Cheers!

Good luck! and yes a guy just posted here yesterday about the license issue with a LAOWA 7.5mm lens. I was looking to buy that one but now who knows
Per DJIs announcement today of the X7 its confirmed that they are definitely getting into lens game and that is not really good news I think. Who knows what the hell they will do to our birds now with firmware crap to eventually push us to buy their lenses too. maybe just being paranoid.

I fly an M600Pro with an URSA mini as well, how about you.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defenderschool