Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

UK Coverdrone Insurance & pay-per-day cover

Reaction score
Silly little island off west coast of Europe
Interestingly, Coverdrone have now introduced a pay-per-day (1-7 days cover) policy for drones alongside their standard annual cover policies. For a lot of people that only fly a few commercial jobs a year, it may end up saving a reasonable amount, especially those that are just starting up their businesses (I've not tried getting a quote for pay-per-day yet, so don't know what they're charging.)

I'm intrigued... does anyone know how the CAA views this? Their manner with the granting of PfCO's seems to imply that they expect you to have valid cover for the entire period of your permissions - i.e. 365 days.

Regardless, hopefully it'll be good news for the UK insurance market as it might make it a bit more competitive and sensible.

Interestingly, Coverdrone have now introduced a pay-per-day (1-7 days cover) policy for drones alongside their standard annual cover policies. For a lot of people that only fly a few commercial jobs a year, it may end up saving a reasonable amount, especially those that are just starting up their businesses (I've not tried getting a quote for pay-per-day yet, so don't know what they're charging.)

I'm intrigued... does anyone know how the CAA views this? Their manner with the granting of PfCO's seems to imply that they expect you to have valid cover for the entire period of your permissions - i.e. 365 days.

Regardless, hopefully it'll be good news for the UK insurance market as it might make it a bit more competitive and sensible.
One would hope that John Heath (Coverdrone) have agreed with the CAA that this type of ad-hoc cover is acceptable to them. I say 'would hope' as that isn't always the case. Although their issued polices are EC 785/2004 compliant I would ask the question to them how they expect an SRG1320 is submitted to the CAA with only this kind of policy expected to be used throughout the year.

You would hope so wouldn't you...

I'm intrigued what people would do if asked to provide proof of cover before a job too... e.g. when bidding for one. I have been asked to provide proof of PL/PI cover and amounts several months in advance of some things... not (yet) in the drone world admittedly.

You would hope so wouldn't you...

I'm intrigued what people would do if asked to provide proof of cover before a job too... e.g. when bidding for one. I have been asked to provide proof of PL/PI cover and amounts several months in advance of some things... not (yet) in the drone world admittedly.
I have as well (as well as proof of PfCO) but I think in these circumstances the company could provide a pro-forma/specimen policy document (since they are all written on standard forms) and you would have to explain to the client that the coverage would go live for the duration of the job.
How that would be received by the more '****' type clients I'm not so sure.

Here's another one to add to the pay per cover list. For proof of insurance to the CAA they provide a cover note for your policy.

Flock Cover | Pay-as-you-fly drone insurance

I downloaded the app just to run through some quotes based on job I did yesterday. They offer coverage for 1-8 hrs per day, at the various coverage rates (1m, 2m etc.)

At 1 million cover, yesterdays job would have cost £25. 2m = £35, 5m =£45, 10m = £75

Calculates your risk based on weather and area of operations instantly in the app.

Cover between 1 and 8 hours...though the price seems to stay the same.

Interesting concept and instant coverage, what the cover is like in truth nobody is going to know until you make a claim!!

Reactions: NickU

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnjamin123