Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Crash questions!

Reaction score
Hi all, my Inspire 1 had two crashes about six weeks ago, a couple of days apart. The second crash was its final hurrah and it is now in memorium. I know it's gone, I wasn't really upset but were baffled. I don't know why it did it or if I can recover any data from it as now when I turn it on it smokes. I'll describe the crashes and maybe someone can shed some light on it!

Crash One:
Following doing a ECU calibration it had just taken off in a courtyard at home where I have flown it many times, and was hovering about 6ft off the ground. The craft was staying nicely in place with no input from the sticks. I touched an area of the screen where I wanted the exposure to be read and automatically adjusted for. The craft flipped over 180 degrees to upside down, then slammed into the ground. Busted some blades, all seemed ok, other than leaving me scratching my head as to what I touched on the screen to give it such a command.

Crash Two: Grand Finale
Day later than first crash. Concerned about the first crash I flew through two or three batteries, was on my third or fourth battery. No probems with flights, was functioning as normal. Hovering at about twice the height of my two storey house, just holding position when the drones motors made three distinct separate sounds one after the other: ffff ffff ffff. Then it fell out of the sky. It came down like Thors Hammer and smashed into my roof, which is steep pitched. It punched out a number of terracotta tiles, then tumbled down the slope of the roof, off the edge, and as a final insult dropped the last 10 ft to the driveway and smashed some more. Somewhat distressing to watch, and from the moment the motors gave their three spits of revs I had been relegated to the position of spectator. As it fell don't think any motors were running anymore.

All four batteries have some mileage on them, had been charged between 60 and 80 times each and were down to approx. half their original Mah capacity when at 100% charge.

I wasn't recording any footage at the time of either crash.

Has anyone experienced the three noises from the motor/s before? It was like the motors stopped and started three times in really quick succession, over about a second and a half before stopping altogether.

The amazing footnote to all this is the X3 camera and its sorry looking gimbal still works. This morning I tried it out on its Osmo, thinking the X3 will be stuffed, and found it records to the card and sends wifi signal to my phone still. Despite the X3's housing being so bent so that I had to stretch it out again with big pliers to be able to get the micro sd card out of it, and a chunk of a gimbal axis cover is gone and there's is a piece of the metal body ripped off.

What an amazingly tough camera!

Wow, I'm really sorry to hear about your loss :( it sound to me that you burned up the ESC's somehow. I've had it happen to me on one of my RC planes before, not one of my drones yet... knock on wood. The ESC that went out on my airplane actually caught fire on the way down.

Any chance you had a loose prop connection? I had one set start backing the screws out which gave me an exceptionally unsettling shimmy in flight, like it was about to shake the whole prop lock/prop assembly off. Got it landed before tragedy but needless to say I switched to lock-tighted 1345T prop locks shortly there after.

I don't know about a loose prop, I don't think any motors were running after the three bursts of activity. One second hovering, the next second falling silently immediately after the three momentary bursts of sound from them.

Thanks for the replies. I'm not cut up about losing the Inspire, the **** thing seldom gave a level horizon and when changing direction even slightly it over corrected and tilted too far the opposite way. I understand the Inspire 2 does the same with the horizon.

Sounds like the ESCs got to hot with all that flying. when they overheat and short out it would definitely make those sounds.

Ok, that's interesting, I'd not heard they heat up like that. But I wonder though, as the first crash was about 30 seconds into the first flight for the day and I've flown four batteries one after the other quite a few times. Each battery only gave me about 7 min flight time before getting to 20% too, as they had so many cycles on them.

At least I still have the osmo and the camera, plus a couple of controllers and a disfigured drone to sell away for spares! I don't think I'll get another I1 at this point. Maybe an I2 if its horizon problems can be sorted, I haven't researched that since before I bought the I1. I loved the power and the stability the I1 had over the Yuneec q500 typhoon I have. The I1 just 'felt' so good to control.

Can’t say I have noticed anything wrong with the horizon is on the I2.

The I1 on the other-hand has is a joke in anything but light wind.

Ok, that's interesting, I'd not heard they heat up like that. But I wonder though, as the first crash was about 30 seconds into the first flight for the day and I've flown four batteries one after the other quite a few times. Each battery only gave me about 7 min flight time before getting to 20% too, as they had so many cycles on them.

At least I still have the osmo and the camera, plus a couple of controllers and a disfigured drone to sell away for spares! I don't think I'll get another I1 at this point. Maybe an I2 if its horizon problems can be sorted, I haven't researched that since before I bought the I1. I loved the power and the stability the I1 had over the Yuneec q500 typhoon I have. The I1 just 'felt' so good to control.
The Inspire 2 has much better motors and I understand that the escs are much more efficient . If those old batteries you were using dropped to a lower voltage then the motors would have pulled more current to maintain the same power output. To much current draw through the escs would overheated them much faster.

Reactions: Finite
Can you post pics. Any reason it couldn't be repaired?
Hi, yes I can post some pics. I don't think it's worth repairing, even if it is possible. The broken carbon struts aren't the problem so much as it starts smoking when I turn it on. And update to the camera being so tough, the thing still works on the Osmo, but I've found that it doesn't focus. I tried that properly a couple of days ago. Never mind. Maybe it's Phantom 4 Pro time.

Here we go. My stuffed I spire 1, I got round to taking some pics, it's in storage in my garage so had to unearth it. I have no plan to resurrect it, I couldn't trust it not to pile into my house again. Or onto my car or a spectating family member.

Attachments

• IMG_0503.JPG
    IMG_0503.JPG
    694.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0504.JPG
    IMG_0504.JPG
    908.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0505.JPG
    IMG_0505.JPG
    979.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0506.JPG
    IMG_0506.JPG
    1,005.6 KB · Views: 14
The ochre colour on its body is from the clay tiles it fell onto into on the roof of my house.

Thanks for everyones input on this thread.

IMG_0646.JPG Hi all, I may have found an answer to my Inspire 1 inverting, and if what I suspect is correct it might not bode well for anyone with a higher mileage Inspire. I pulled the drone out today to sift through its remains, - I'm selling it on a local (New Zealand) auction site and questions have been asked which I wanted to answer. I found the positive cable which comes out through the raising/lowering mechanism is rubbed through and has bared the wire. It's not a cut, it's worn through i'm sure. I'll add a picture. The right arm came out of its base in the crash otherwise this cable would not have been visible. I think it has been rubbing on either the metal bar you can see inside the mounting the arm came out of, or on a pivoting barrel further inside. You can't see if this is happening to your drone unless you take the arm out. When the drone just turned itself upside down in the first crash at 2m off the ground, it was the left side which pulled the drone up and over, so the cable in the right might have shorted and shut one or both motors on the right side down. I don't know whether that cable feeds power supply to both right side motors however. Thoughts?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
william76931