Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Crystal Sky 3rd Party Apps - What Works

Reaction score
I've started this thread because I've seen many people asking about the Crystal Sky and what 3rd party apps work / don't work. If you have tried apps other then the list below and you either got them working, or found issues, please reply to the thread with the App, and issue received if it didn't work. I will keep the list updated.

So here goes

What Works

1. Pix4Dcapture
2. Facebook
3. Facebook Messenger
4. HD Sync
5. GoPro
6. Netflix
7. AZ Screen Capture
8. VLC Video Player
9. eWeLink
10. Amazon Alexa
11. Sense
12. Discord

Works But Crashes
1. AirMap - Crashes when trying to create a flight plan
2. Skype - Crashes randomly

Does Not Work

1. Altizure
2. Drone Deploy
3. Google Play - Requires google services
4. Verifly
5. Youtube - Requires google services

Last edited:
Any regular android app can work, but CS have to be rooted.
It was tested on an CrystalSky 7.85, System Version 02.02.08.01, 02.02.09.00 and 02.04.02.00

I would assume though that limitation on number of installed applications is meant to improve the stability and reduce overall load on a CrystalSky, but specs wise it should not be a problem. As long as the unrelated applications are inactive during flight.

Disclosure: "No details or advice can be offered due to the forum restrictions on posts regarding software and hardware modification"

Last edited:
Reactions: niki
Any regular android app can work, but CS have to be rooted.
It was tested on an CrystalSky 7.85, System Version 02.02.08.01, 02.02.09.00 and 02.04.02.00

I would assume though that limitation on number of installed applications is meant to improve the stability and reduce overall load on a CrystalSky, but specs wise it should not be a problem. As long as the unrelated applications are inactive during flight.

Disclosure: "No details or advice can be offered due to the forum restrictions on posts regarding software and hardware modification"

I don't agree with your statement, a lot of Android apps use the Google Framework, which is totally unsupported by the Crystal Sky. Yes anything can be done on a rooted device, but as it stands now, there is no way to root the Crystal Sky.

My CS 5.5 is rooted and I am using Litchi as well Google play services without any problem. With the latest FW there's no go but with the previous all mentioned apps are working very well.

I don't agree with your statement, a lot of Android apps use the Google Framework, which is totally unsupported by the Crystal Sky. Yes anything can be done on a rooted device, but as it stands now, there is no way to root the Crystal Sky.

Google Framework is installed as a part of rooting.

DNG viewer?
The CrystalSky file explorer cannot view DNG raw files!
Any recommendations for an android app to view DNG?

CS can be rooted and I did it WAY back when it first was released, getting SU on is the bigger issue not rooting as you have to use Kingroot and that can potentially be problematic in its self and you need SU for google play.

I did a really good test of Litchi on my Mavic Platinum last week and it worked very well on the CS 7.8 HD. I haven't tried it on my Inspire 2 yet but I have no doubts that it will function similarly. I'll report back once I do that.

Reactions: Glennc63
Great thread!
I’m Really eager to find out if any marine chart plotters like Navionics would work. Ordinary chartplotters are single purpose beast that easily costs as much as the Dji with very dismal performance.

Navionics is free. I don’t own the crystal sky myself but I would be thankful if anyone felt like trying it out.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=it.navionics.singleAppMarineLakes

Thx
Tom

what are the steps to install pix4dcapture. When I installed it on my android tablet it had to go to the playstore to install Ctrl+DJI

I've started this thread because I've seen many people asking about the Crystal Sky and what 3rd party apps work / don't work. If you have tried apps other then the list below and you either got them working, or found issues, please reply to the thread with the App, and issue received if it didn't work. I will keep the list updated.

So here goes

What Works

1. Pix4Dcapture
2. Facebook
3. Facebook Messenger
4. HD Sync
5. GoPro
6. Netflix
7. AZ Screen Capture
8. VLC Video Player
9. eWeLink
10. Amazon Alexa