Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Discontinued batteries for I1 - what now?

Dobmatt, see the big issue here is that there is a TON of threads on batteries. Unfortunately no-one has written up a definitive "guide" and posted it to take as solid reference data.

Then you have people that flat out LIE, like G-unit. He swapped the tops (including the smart board) and even cut the temp sensor (which is obvious by the way he hid the temperature data from being in his picture). Why people get off by lying and causing others headaches is beyond me. But the fact is, it was a malicious act and he deserves to be banned because of it. Don't go fabricating pictures with incomplete data via cropping that hides what you actually did.

Fact of the matter:

- TB47S/TB48S batteries can be used to donate cells ONLY, not the smart board. Smart boards are unique to the M600 application and incompatible with the Inspire 1.

Now why did no-one else that read any of this, that knows this to be fact, not call him out as a liar that is spreading mis-information?

I have pics of both boards:

TB48:
20210420_215214.jpg

TB48S:
20210420_215447.jpg

And, yes, this is a shot of it AFTER the wires are switched to match the TB48 configuration.

Dobmatt, see the big issue here is that there is a TON of threads on batteries. Unfortunately no-one has written up a definitive "guide" and posted it to take as solid reference data.
Only a few aficionados like you went this route, which I explored a year or two ago. Many is trying to employ parallel extra fuel tank approach, having absolutely no idea about basic laws of electrical circuits and physics of flying machines. They build a Frankenstein Inspires which looks and behave like a Sherpa's mule with supplies for Mt.Everest base camp ...

I did my duties, sharing all my knowledge about Inspire since day one ... I'm 74, now is your turn to publish a TB48S cannibalism tutorial :) ...

Actually, I have been building something of a compendium in regards to batteries and options for the Inspire 1.

That is why I took the chance and bought the TB48S, even though I was pretty certain it wasn't going to work.

Actually, I have been building something of a compendium in regards to batteries and options for the Inspire 1.

That is why I took the chance and bought the TB48S, even though I was pretty certain it wasn't going to work.
How is the compendium coming along? I’m looking at the heli engading batteries to prolong buying Into a new platform as having the flexibility of the yaw axis is a must for me compared to the rigid nature of the mavic platform and expense of the I2, so if you have more info I and I’m sure many others would be curious to know what you’ve found.

Reactions: Marketal
On a different tangent... KopterMax sells New Refreshed TB48 with LiPo gel packs replaced. Cost may be equal to new, although this would probably be the optimal choice with LiPo gel new compared to Old Stock.

I also thought I came across somewhere the TB48D (Matrice 100) worked in Inspire 1 with a quick top swap from your old TB47/48 packs. The IC board was supposedly the same, just a different flat top. ** Not Confirmed **

I rarely fly my I1's and have ample batteries so haven't gotten around to examining the above.
Might be worth 1 to examine, depending on the return policy. Swapping top doesn't modify or damage the battery. Although the concern there would be if old shelf stock or newer.

TB47D

TB48D

KopterMax

Last edited:
How is the compendium coming along? I’m looking at the heli engading batteries to prolong buying Into a new platform as having the flexibility of the yaw axis is a must for me compared to the rigid nature of the mavic platform and expense of the I2, so if you have more info I and I’m sure many others would be curious to know what you’ve found.
Partially based on my own experience I will say that the best and relatively hassle-free approach as for Summer 2021 is to purchase TB48D battery (for Matrice 100 drone) while these are still on the market, and simply swap the plastic top housing. This will involve un-snapping the white top off the old battery, do the same with new TB48D, remove 4 Phillips screws holding the electronics and do the swap. The "smart" circuitry of TB48D is identical to Inspire's TB48 battery, while TB48S are programmed to work in 6-pack combo and incompatible for this reason alone. I performed just TB48S battery pack transplant to old TB48, but this approach exhibits some problems with utilizing the full capacity of a new pack due to calibration issues.

Reactions: dougcjohn
Partially based on my own experience I will say that the best and relatively hassle-free approach as for Summer 2021 is to purchase TB48D battery (for Matrice 100 drone) while these are still on the market, and simply swap the plastic top housing. This will involve un-snapping the white top off the old battery, do the same with new TB48D, remove 4 Phillips screws holding the electronics and do the swap. The "smart" circuitry of TB48D is identical to Inspire's TB48 battery, while TB48S are programmed to work in 6-pack combo and incompatible for this reason alone. I performed just TB48S battery pack transplant to old TB48, but this approach exhibits some problems with utilizing the full capacity of a new pack due to calibration issues.
@Dobmatt did you have a chance to try the 48D? I was assuming it would based on old threads, but wasn't 100% certain.

I also read somewhere the 48D may actually be newer production than I1 TB48 due to development platform staying in supported life longer than I1.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GroverBaez