Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

DJI Pilot for iPad using old maps

Reaction score
Attached is a message I sent to DJI complaining that they are using outdated maps on the iPads.
Needless to say they never got back to me with an answer.

I have the DJI Ground Station App that uses the same outdated maps.
I also have an Android tablet, but that uses Google Maps.

I'm not sure what maps DJI Pilot for iPad uses, but it is not Google and not Apple Maps by TomTom.
Does anyone have an idea how to update the maps?

Thanks

Attachments

• iPad Map issue.pdf
    548.1 KB · Views: 17
Attached is a message I sent to DJI complaining that they are using outdated maps on the iPads.
Needless to say they never got back to me with an answer.

I have the DJI Ground Station App that uses the same outdated maps.
I also have an Android tablet, but that uses Google Maps.

I'm not sure what maps DJI Pilot for iPad uses, but it is not Google and not Apple Maps by TomTom.
Does anyone have an idea how to update the maps?

Thanks
Its not a DJI issue its an Apple issue so you will not get any joy from DJI.

Reactions: Kilrah
That's odd that the Pilot app would have different maps to the Apple maps app on the iPad. I wonder why. I always assumed that Pilot just used the built in Apple maps.

Maybe Apple only allow the latest map info in the official maps app or something?

Its not a DJI issue its an Apple issue so you will not get any joy from DJI.
I am not sure of that... the pilot and GS app has to point to a specific map, not just what the iPad tells it to. The question is what map is that and how can I get the DJI apps to point to the Apple or Google maps

The app uses the iOS map API, so basically it just tells it "display a map of that location". Everything beyond that is handled by the system.
Here the DJI app and Apple maps show exactly the same, hugely outdated views. And what was loaded in Apple maps first shows up instantly in the DJI app without having to load, confirming both use the same set/cache.
Note that the choice of satellite/hybrid/standard may sometimes show different things for the same places... those are separate sets and also cache separately.

I have spoken to DJI and they are thinking about a option to choose Google Map on the iOS. Time will tell. :)

Don't care too much now that Apple have updated the maps in my area.. Few months ago all was black \ white. :(

Apple had a falling out with Google a few years ago if anyone who cares or could remember. Apple no longer uses Google Earth. In fact I believe they tried their own route, and ventured in with Bing or possibly their own. Either way maps are not "updated" on a daily basis.

so still have the same problem here. ios maps are too old. any suugestions?

so still have the same problem here. ios maps are too old. any suugestions?
We are stuck with the available Apple Maps. Neither they nor Google Maps are regularly updated and some coverage can be years out of date. I fly regularly over the mouth of the River Spey in Scotland which 'moves' due to coastal drift and map is up to 300m out on the current position of the mouth. Similarly, new housing developments may not be picked for years to come. The maps are just a guide and should be treated as such. The trick is to maintain visual line of sight with your I1 at all times.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Editor
I agree that we need to maintain LOS when flying, but I still think that we should be given the choice to use Google Maps on iOS devices....it is still far superior to the Apple Maps or whatever DJI Pilot is accessing and I can't believe it is that difficult for DJI to do.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerdry