Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Does good battery care extend to controllers etc?

Reaction score
Good care of your flight batteries is well documented. If you leave them full for too long, they even self-discharge to protect themselves so they're not left fully charged for long periods.
But wouldn't the rechargeable batteries in the controller and any rechargeable monitors etc also be LiPo and therefore also need the same rules applied?
Even things like the iPad's are probably using these kinds of batteries, but at least they rarely get turned fully off so are always slowly discharging.

I ran all 3 batteries down to just over, or just on, 30% yesterday while flying. I probably won't get to fly now till the weekend, so probably won't charge them at all till Friday, they should be ok at that percentage till then, but the controller is showing 3 out of 4 bars. I was going to charge that so there's one less thing to charge on Friday, because I currently only have one charger, so it's a slow process, but it made me wonder if I should treat the controller the same way as the flight batteries and also leave it at less than full while ever I'm not using it.

never heard anything mentioned about it but it is a lipo battery as well so one could safely assume it wouldnt hurt, however i dont believe its a smart battery and doesnt self discharge so the drain to zero every 20 charges wouldnt be a good idea as you dont want to do this to normal lipo batteries from my understanding.

Reactions: Ezookiel
I ran all 3 batteries down to just over, or just on, 30% yesterday while flying. I probably won't get to fly now till the weekend, so probably won't charge them at all till Friday, they should be ok at that percentage till then

Hi saving starting a new thread, what is best practise after flight if your not going to fly for say the next week, leave at around 30% mark or do you charge them up fully when getting home? there's plenty of good care advice but what happens straight after flight until the next time you go out ? cheers.

Hi saving starting a new thread, what is best practise after flight if your not going to fly for say the next week, leave at around 30% mark or do you charge them up fully when getting home? there's plenty of good care advice but what happens straight after flight until the next time you go out ? cheers.
It's not so critical as the flight batteries since the remote takes very little current so the internal 2 cell 6,000mAh pack is not subjected to the same high drain/stress.
However, it is still good practice if you are not going to fly for a couple of weeks to try and store the pack and somewhere around 50-60%.
I usually store mine at a level where the third led is flashing.

Technically I believe the correct charge for storing is around 60% but if I try to charge them to that, I'm likely to forget to stop them at the right time and end up filling them right up. I now fly so often that I've given up, bought the 4 port hub, and generally just fill em all up after each shoot. I have one scheduled shoot every week now doing progress shots on a construction site, so even if no other job came in, they'd still get used in 6 days time, and likely before that now, so my care routine is far less of a concern than it was when I may well not fly for a couple of weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok thanks, so its ok to start charging the flight pack to a storage level, unplug charger, then top up pre flight.

Thanks all answered my questions, cheers

Ok thanks, so its ok to start charging the flight pack to a storage level, unplug charger, then top up pre flight.

Thanks all answered my questions, cheers
Absolutely.
That's what I do. All my packs are stored at around 3.86v per cell. When I am going to fly, I charge them up to full the day before or morning of the flight(s).
Then if I'm not flying certain packs for a few days, when I return home I charge them back up to storage charge again until next time.

Dear DJI, on a future battery firmware update how about double press on battery button while charging initiates storage charge, hey just a thought.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Integratedretail