Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Does NTSC & PAL matter?

Reaction score
Website
www.airflix.dk
Not taking the actual look of the different frame rates into account - and my product is only intended for uploading (Vimeo) or web use - does it matter at all whether I choose NTSC or PAL? NTSC/PAL are old standards so I just can't see how they relate to being viewed online?

I'm thinking the NTSC has a higher frame rate available making it easier to achieve the 180-rule (NTSC's 50 fps - 1/100 shutter time vs. PAL's 48 fps) - plus a higher frame rate gives a better slo-mo result (theoretically at least) if I should need it.

Also, NTSC's 50fps - 1/100 sec shutter rule makes sense, but how would you achieve the 180-rule with PAL's 48fps?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Not taking the actual look of the different frame rates into account
Well that IS one of the main reasons you'd choose one over the other. Some want the film-like "jerkiness" of 24fps, some on the other hand prefer the butter-smooth fluidity of 60fps, some will be happy with 30fps but will shoot at 60 so they can slow down footage by 50%...

Beyond the look the other important factor is that if you make a production with different cameras you'll want to make sure they're all set to the same framerate you'll be using in your final edit or multiples of it, be sure to check with whoever you're providing footage to before shooting.

PAL framerates are not of much use if everything you do goes online. But should you have to supply footage to anything broadcast-related (TV etc) in a PAL region you'd have to make sure to shoot with a PAL framerate (25/50).

Reactions: dronie
Well that IS one of the main reasons you'd choose one over the other. Some want the film-like "jerkiness" of 24fps, some on the other hand prefer the butter-smooth fluidity of 60fps, some will be happy with 30fps but will shoot at 60 so they can slow down footage by 50%...

Beyond the look the other important factor is that if you make a production with different cameras you'll want to make sure they're all set to the same framerate you'll be using in your final edit or multiples of it.

PAL framerates are not of much use if everything you do goes online. But should you have to supply footage to anything broadcast-related (TV etc) in a PAL region you'd have to make sure to shoot with a PAL framerate (25/50p).

I understand the different looks should be taken into account, just wondering if the two standards would have any influence at all for online use. Which I understand it doesn't?

But being in EU it would of course be smart to choose PAL if I ever have hope of selling something for broadcasting.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LewisuhaAbips