Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

DOJ BAN DJI, alternatives?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Federal agencies are no longer to use funds to purchase or operate any (foreign entities) DJI drone, this includes charging a battery. I’m a part 107 pilot and feel that this will be our near future so I’d like to hear what you guys think about options comparable to the inspire made in ‘merica.

Mahalo to my Inspire Ohana (brethren)

Last edited by a moderator:
In what way does the issue the federal agencies have with foreign entities affect your hobby?
I’m trying to understand what your main concern would be.

In what way does the issue the federal agencies have with foreign entities affect your hobby?

I don’t know exactly what I need to explain here? I’m not a hobbyist, I’m a part 107 pilot who makes money with Chinese drones. The government has banned use of all foreign (Chinese DJI) drones and I feel like they are going to ban them 100% eventually in the USA. I want to know what knowledgeable people think about a comparable merican alternative to the Inspire.

I don’t play with toys like mavics and phantoms.

Reactions: Donnie Frank
I don’t believe that a total ban could occur. Too many folks would have lawsuits.

You're question has discussion value, although your responses discourages... it often takes a few posts to get the flow of intent and asking questions helps others gain an understanding.

I may be off too in your question, but a direct alternative to the Inspire 2 essentially doesn't exist within a USA manufactured platform if you consider capabilities, payload, performance and overall cost.

There are a few platforms to consider but you'll spend 2-4X the price. Some of these platforms are between the Inspire 2 and M600Pro size... some are more close to M210 similarity.

None will have the slimpistic integration of DJI programs or DJI SDK 3rd party programs.

To my knowledge there hasn't been any actual evidence of DJI uploading... other than marketing & RD improvement focus which is similar to most other intelligent devices that are powered on 24x7. Plus, there hasn't been any security breach or personal injury from DJI SW practice so I doubt a nation wide ban on a low density product (DJI drone) over all the Chinese made devices would have a successful outcome. If you're not contracting with Fed or some agency that has elected to adopt the same policy, then I doubt you'll have any conflict with Ban during the lifespan of your Inspire 2.

Personally, I think the Ban is ridiculous in multiple facets... it's more BVLS & Political driven and isn't helping the sUAV industry. The DJI products loved or hated have innovated or encouraged development from multiple companies and adversary within sUAV. We probably wouldn't have the low cost / high tech platforms now on market if not for the innovations marketed by Chinese companies and low costs. Most aren't willing to spend $8-15k on their 1st drone to find out if they like their Big Boy Toys, but are willing to try at $1000-3000.

Great question... there are 5 US companies that make drones meeting new Federal Guidelines. They are Skydio, parrot, altavian, teal drones, and vantage robotics.

I was starting to get government contracts and have the same concerns. The problem is that I haven't seen an American competitor for the price of a DJI. That's a dilemma. It obviously (for those confused post above) it wont affect my private work since most consumers don't even ask but again for those bigger award contracts, American made will have to be the way to go. Now hopefully we will see some competitors come out with some great drone with the symbol of "Made in America". I'm all for it but what happens when you already have thousands of dollars in DJI? Slow transition!

Sure, the consumers don’t ask now but I will bet that at a certain point we won’t be legally allowed to use them no matter what the client thinks. This is a “homeland security” issue and I don’t see us relaxing on that anytime soon. Only increasing.

I was starting to get government contracts and have the same concerns. The problem is that I haven't seen an American competitor for the price of a DJI. That's a dilemma. It obviously (for those confused post above) it wont affect my private work since most consumers don't even ask but again for those bigger award contracts, American made will have to be the way to go. Now hopefully we will see some competitors come out with some great drone with the symbol of "Made in America". I'm all for it but what happens when you already have thousands of dollars in DJI? Slow transition!

Sure, the consumers don’t ask now but I will bet that at a certain point we won’t be legally allowed to use them no matter what the client thinks. This is a “homeland security” issue and I don’t see us relaxing on that anytime soon. Only increasing.
What exactly do you see as the “Security issue” that you think using a DJI UAV to photograph real estate or map some fields or film a commercial causes?
Why must your choice be “Made in America” instead of say Italy or The Netherlands?
What other private industry do you know of where the Government has mandated not to use a particular product emanating out of China?

I’m not the one who sees the security issue. It is the DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE, ever heard of it? They dictate the laws in my country. And that country doesn’t trust any foreign drones as the law is written. If they don’t trust them under their own control, why would they trust them in the hands of sheep?

You should try to read it if you live in the US to better understand your laws and keep your butt out of jail.

I’m not the o e who sees the security issue. It is the DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE, ever heard of it? They make the laws in my country. And that country doesn’t trust any foreign drones as the law is written. You should try to read it if you live in the US to better understand your laws and keep your butt out of jail.
I think they all need to take their tin foil hats off!

Way too much paranoia.

What about my other questions regarding any other industry prohibited using Chinese tools?

Its just a total non issue.

Federal agencies are no longer to use funds to purchase or operate any (foreign entities) DJI drone, this includes charging a battery. I’m a part 107 pilot and feel that this will be our near future so I’d like to hear what you guys think about options comparable to the inspire made in ‘merica.

Mahalo to my Inspire Ohana (brethren)
"comparable to the inspire made in ‘merica."

With the same affordability and capabilities? NONE.

Law and Justice! Phew!!
This isn't near that... more toward Big Money and manipulation of a Developing UAV Industry. The money involed in BVLS is massive, and it spreads to many in the food chain.

A small consumer / prosumer uav compared to massive quantity of cell phones carried into every conceivable corner, smart TV's mounted in conference rooms, web cams sitting on top of millions of computers able to record your keystrokes, etc, etc present a lot more "possible" security threat than a M2P flying 200'. All the above examples are Chinese made!

Factual Evidence to support the Ban... None as of yet. While you're focused on the Rt Hand waving Threat of Chinese drone... watch the Left Hand slip in new rules and regs preventing your Chinese, USA Assembled (Chinese parts) or USA Made drones flying in more restricted zones. The end game is to tailor to big business UAV, BVLS Developers, and various 3rd parties... it's not a large concern what you fly if your fly zone shrinks or cost to legally fly (cost of platform, fees, required insurance, etc) exceeds the abilities of the small shop or individual.

Prohibition was Fed illegal to manufacturer, distribute, purchase and sale multiple products assiciated to gambling, alcohol, and associated suppliers. Bans on HK and others manufacturers was another... both illogical and not driven by the projected justification. Both non-successful due to public objection.

It wont make consumer retail sUAV level without impacting hundreds of other products the public would object and refuse to accept.

Last edited:
Reactions: InspireEagle
I’m not the one who sees the security issue. It is the DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE, ever heard of it? They dictate the laws in my country. And that country doesn’t trust any foreign drones as the law is written. If they don’t trust them under their own control, why would they trust them in the hands of sheep?

You should try to read it if you live in the US to better understand your laws and keep your butt out of jail.

I suggest you loose the attitude quickly, if you want any serious discussion. Your questions and statements are not clear and people asking legitimate question. You won’t go very far around here with attitude like yours.

Pretend you’re talking to people in person. That should help you have less ‘tude, cause if you spoke to me like that in person, I assure you that you wouldn’t be in my presence very long.

You forgot the word "yet." "In what way does the issue the federal agencies have with foreign entities affect your hobby YET?" You're being short-sighted.

D

Don't you mean DEPARTMENT OF POLITICAL JUSTICE?
Soon the truth will matter again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LewisuhaAbips