Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Drone legislation coming soon

Anyone know the difference between a microUAS and a small UAS, and which category the Inspire falls into? It looks like the new regs propose an exemption for microUAS for flying above people (other than operators).

"Proposes a microUAS option that would allow operations in Class G
airspace, over people not involved in the operation, provided the
operator certifies he or she has the requisite aeronautical knowledge to
perform the operation."

Not that I would ever fly it near people, but sometimes when you're filming I like to take a shot looking straight down (higher altitude of course).

From what I heard at the press conference, they are talking <5lbs. for micro. 5 to 55 lbs otherwise. The Inspire would fall under the new proposal.

Reactions: amp
Interesting, thanks for sharing. They are a lot like Australia and New Zealands's laws, with some important differences:

You may not fly over private property there (backyards are specifically mentioned), but you MAY fly over public (including National) Parks that are not "densely populated," which is an obviously ambiguous definition, but they expect people to use common sense.

Here in the US, though it's not an FAA rule, Mr Ranger may give you a fine.

Hopefully, once these rules are finalized, the NPS here in the US may re-consider and eliminate their outright flight ban in NPs in order to replace it with a requirement to check in with the Rangers to get permission before flight in areas that will not disturb wildlife or park visitors. At least, that is my hope. :)

Hopefully, once these rules are finalized, the NPS here in the US may re-consider and eliminate their outright flight ban in NPs in order to replace it with a requirement to check in with the Rangers to get permission before flight in areas that will not disturb wildlife or park visitors. At least, that is my hope. :)
Agreed. Too much natural beauty out there. Everglades anyone?

Reactions: DattaGroover
That would be nice. I've also been warned off by rangers at a State Park on the Oregon Coast. It's not illegal per-se, but some people like to get excited. In this Video (3rd one down) you can see where the drone is videoing the lighthouse, someone runs to get a Ranger. The Ranger tracked me down and warned me that Fish & Wildlife was on the way and they were going to fine me. I appreciated the warning. As I left the area, the F&W was just pulling in. It's all about timing, if you ask me.

http://DattaGroover.com/Fun

Reactions: DustyVisor
That would be nice. I've also been warned off by rangers at a State Park on the Oregon Coast. It's not illegal per-se, but some people like to get excited. In this Video (3rd one down) you can see where the drone is videoing the lighthouse, someone runs to get a Ranger. The Ranger tracked me down and warned me that Fish & Wildlife was on the way and they were going to fine me. I appreciated the warning. As I left the area, the F&W was just pulling in. It's all about timing, if you ask me.

http://DattaGroover.com/Fun
Yep, people do like to get excited, but sometimes in a good way. Most people that have seen me flying the inspire (or phantom or Cinestar 8) Of course have 50 questions, but generally think they are awesome. I did have a security guard politely ask me to leave a public dock last weekend though. Apparently I was a little to close to the billion dollar mansions and freaked some old people out. But hey that's fine. If you're cordial to me and I'm willing to cooperate. One love baby.

Reactions: sdjackaerial
Yep, people do like to get excited, but sometimes in a good way. Most people that have seen me flying the inspire (or phantom or Cinestar 8) Of course have 50 questions, but generally think they are awesome. I did have a security guard politely ask me to leave a public dock last weekend though. Apparently I was a little to close to the billion dollar mansions and freaked some old people out. But hey that's fine. If you're cordial to me and I'm willing to cooperate. One love baby.
That's my experience, too. Most people are excited in a very positive way.

Anyone know the difference between a microUAS and a small UAS, and which category the Inspire falls into? It looks like the new regs propose an exemption for microUAS for flying above people (other than operators).

"Proposes a microUAS option that would allow operations in Class G
airspace, over people not involved in the operation, provided the
operator certifies he or she has the requisite aeronautical knowledge to
perform the operation."

Not that I would ever fly it near people, but sometimes when you're filming I like to take a shot looking straight down (higher altitude of course).

I actually read somewhere in the past few days that a micro was under 4.4 pounds. That puts the the phantom vision plus under and the inspire over if I am not mistaken.

If we can use the vision plus as a micro it will be great. I can't see why not really. Granted everyone should be aware of what is going on in to the situation but if that thing hit you in the head it is not going to cause any serious damage as long as you don't get propped. Prop-gaurds will help a lot with that.

I actually read somewhere in the past few days that a micro was under 4.4 pounds. That puts the the phantom vision plus under and the inspire over if I am not mistaken.

If we can use the vision plus as a micro it will be great. I can't see why not really. Granted everyone should be aware of what is going on in to the situation but if that thing hit you in the head it is not going to cause any serious damage as long as you don't get propped. Prop-gaurds will help a lot with that.
I had an esc fail on my Phantom once, and it came down really fast (in a tumble). With enough altitude that could seriously hurt or kill someone.

I have seen a phantom 2 fly full speed into a car windshield. The phantom exploded into hundreds of pieces. Didn't even leave a crack in the windshield. I have seen heads crack the same types of safety glass with no problems. Not science but a good comparison. A phantom, from almost any height, is unlikely to be anywhere near lethal (maybe some bumps or a small cut).
I have also had my own personal phantom fall out of the sky and seeing that thing flip around in the air I assure you that even at its terminal velocity it is not falling that fast. An adult would have no issue with a blow like that.

There are also dozens of example of people getting hit with phantoms and not even being hurt never mind killed. I am sure it is possible just unlikely.

I don't have exact data on the subject so a solid answer is not possible but I think my hypothesis is strong. Don't try it at home, it would suck, but most likely not lethal.

I agree, most likely not lethal, in fact the chance of that is quite small. However, I believe there is that chance, and the far greater chance for serious injury.

I think we all know we need to be really careful when flying around/over people.

Reactions: Mazz
Hmmmm. I was planning on bringing my Inspire with me on our May trip to the US, but reading that quads are banned from all NPS sites, it hasn't much use to take it with me :(. Pity, because I really was looking forward to shooting some very nice footage of the beautiful US nature. We're basically gonna visit a lot of NP's (Arches, Canyonlands, Deadhorsepoint, Capitol reef, Bryce, Grand Canyon etc. ) so I guess the old Canon 500D is going to have to do the job on ground level. :)

Hmmmm. I was planning on bringing my Inspire with me on our May trip to the US, but reading that quads are banned from all NPS sites, it hasn't much use to take it with me :(. Pity, because I really was looking forward to shooting some very nice footage of the beautiful US nature. We're basically gonna visit a lot of NP's (Arches, Canyonlands, Deadhorsepoint, Capitol reef, Bryce, Grand Canyon etc. ) so I guess the old Canon 500D is going to have to do the job on ground level. :)
Those are beautiful places! They would be awesome to video with the Inspire, but you would be risking fines. I was very surprised to find that in Australia there is no National (or any other kind) Park restriction (except where it applies to people) when I was there in December.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LewisuhaAbips