Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Jump in and join our free DJI Inspire community today!
Sign up

Australia Drone Training Courses

Which method of delivery is better for a drone training course?

  • Face to face

    Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Online

    Votes: 3 50.0%

  • Total voters
Sep 6, 2015
Merritt Island Florida
IMO, start out flying small UAVs before you jump right into more expensive units. Get flight time under your belt is number 1! You DON'T need to pay someone else for this! Then if you want to learn more on "Air Space" do that online.

Keep your money in your right hand pocket for that nice airframe soon to come, or, give it to those dealing in snake oil.

1 post with a link to a training course... humm, spam I am? Admin will take care of that :D
Last edited:
Mar 16, 2018
I wouldn't take a drone class unless it was a US military drone. The larger, more expensive drones are stupidly easy to navigate. The plastic toy ones are a bad example. A 9 year old that has experience playing Xbox or Playstation with dual joysticks would most likely exceed the requirements to navigate a DJI drone. I'm sure you older guys hate to hear that .

Read through the basics, federal laws, state laws, privacy laws, and general FTA restrictions. It's fairly upfront. The most difficult part is understanding the actual drone settings before your first flight. I'd read for 3 or 4 days before I flew. Also, BATTERY RECALIBRATION, the most important and least mentioned.
Oct 19, 2018
Perth, Western Australia
Hi everyone,

I'd like your opinion on whether it would be more beneficial to complete a drone training course face to face or online

Any help would be appreciated ( :
Hi Rachel901,

I believe you are Australia Based? Where about are you?

There are three Drone/UAV categories in Australia via CASA

* Under 2KG Class - Hobby or Commercial
Some of the drones for this category would be the Mavic Pro, Mvic 2, Mavic Zoom, Phantom range, Air and Spark, not that I would personal use the Air or Spark for Commercial usage.

You can not fly at night, you must adhere to all CASA regulations and you won't be able to get commercial insurance including liability.

* Remote PiLots Certificate (RePL)
As per above, can fly commercial, can fly at night and get Insurance but must do so under someone who holds a ReOC. you can also fly up to 7KG UAV/Drone - Inspire 2 or Matrice 210 (depending on payload)

* Remote Operators Certificate (ReOC)
You can run your own business and sign off all your missions and those of a RePL.
Can Fly at night if it is included in your ReOC Manual
Can fly UAV/Drone weight up to 25KG - DJI Matrice 600 (Ronin Gimbal and DSLR camera)
Can obtain Liability Insurance ($10,000,000 or up to 20,000,000 AUD)

I completed my Remote Pilots Licence (RePL) in Jan of this year, it was a five day course and went from 8:30am to around 4:30pm Mon-Fri. It was theory based with practical sessions after each theory section. I already had my Mavic Pro and used that at the course via Global Drone Solutions here in Perth, Western Australia.

I have since bought the DJI Matrice 210 with the Zenmuse X5S and then bought the Zenmuse Z30. As of today I now own a DJI Inspire 2 and will use the X5S on that UAV.

Hope this helps

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Latest member