Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Drones as Disruption Conference

Reaction score
I am attending a forum today at The Ohio State University entitled Drones as Disruption - Who Regulates What?
Looks to be very comprehensive, lasting all day. If anything significant comes up, I will try to summarize and post.

We just got a hand out titled Overview of Current FAA sUAV Exemption Regime v. FAA Proposed Rules. It looks like a comparison chart listing Current Requirements and Proposed Rules. The first 2 items is as follows:

Current Requirements
Section 333 exemptions required in lieu of airworthiness certificate.

Proposed Rules
No airworthiness certificate required

Current Requirements
Pilot in Charge (PIC) must hold an airline transport, commercial, private, recreational or sport pilot certificate
and a current FAA medical certificate or valid driver's license.

Proposed Rules
sUAV operator need only be at least 17 years of age and proficient in English and hold an unmanned aircraft operator certificate with a sUAV rating. (Certificate obtainable once every two years upon successful completion or writtten knowledge test at FAA-approved center.)

The document goes on to describe proposed rules dealing with height, speed, distance, line of sight, etc.

Panelists are varied and look to be very knowledgeable and to be heavy-hitters, including FAA and DJI.

I will try to summarize any key takeaways, but initially, I think there is a very reasonable attitude being displayed here trying to come to grips with "drones" as it applies to those of us who are trying to make a few dollars flying and shooting.

I am very encouraged about what I am hearing...will do more posts if I learn anything...the forum lasts all day.

Where is that current requirement located?

What class of FAA medical certificate?
Where is that current requirement located?

What class of FAA medical certificate?

According to this chart, proposed rules don't require medical certificate...this is a handout passed out to us in the audience...I will try to find out where this is located so we can link to it.

Reactions: ADSSER and Chnjab
Much of the forum is now talking about drone usage...how varied it is, etc., and how important it is. Also, some pretty good stuff about first amendment and drone usage...good stuff. There should be a recording of this putting it online.

This afternoon sessions - Drones as Threats - Privacy and Property Rights - also a presentation by Homeland Security - then Drones and Regulators, Who (else) should regulate what?

Reactions: Chnjab
The presentation dealing with Privacy and Property Rights - is good, but basically theoretical...lots of stimulating discussion and questions about 4th amendment...mostly discussion and raises questions. Good, but mostly conjecture.

I got the .pdf e-mailed to me that one of the presenters, that Anne Swanson, of Cooley LLP gave us, dealing with changes to the requirements to fly/shoot commercially. Unfortunately, I just updated my laptop with Windows 10 and I can't download or even forward the e-mail. Will have to wait until Monday when I get to my workplace with a real computer...I will share then. Best guess...and I do mean guess...is that these proposed rule changes won't take effect until mid 2016 at best...more likely 2017...this was from comments from the panel.

The conference was very worthwhile...covered a wide spectrum of uav related topics. There were more questions raised than answered. <Major takeaway for me is the the government (FAA) is woefully prepared to deal with this emerging technology...no surprise there. Brenden Schulman, VP of DJI's Policy and Leagal Affairs was a panelist...did a great job presenting perspectives of many of us DJI consumers who want to continue to fly safely but without unreasonable governmental restrictions...at least this was my take.

I will post the .pdf handout on Monday.

Reactions: ADSSER
Thanks for all if your hard work on sharing info...sincerely appreciated!

Here is the hand-out given to attendees at the conference...this is not from the FAA...this was given to us by Anne Swanson, panelist, representing Cooley LLP. I spoke with Anne about this, asking her when she thought these changes might happen. She said that is the million dollar question...maybe mid 2016 - 2017? Who knows?

Attachments

• OVERVIEW_FAA FAA EXEMPTION_PROPOSED RULES.pdf
    33.7 KB · Views: 18
Figbar, appreciate the info. Disappointed they didn't come off visibility requirements. Could always send a PIREP ("I can see 3 miles...") to the FSS, though.

I noticed where the document referenced separate rules for micro-UAS (under 4.4 lbs). If that was discussed in the forum, any chance you could post the revised proposal?

Figbar, appreciate the info. Disappointed they didn't come off visibility requirements. Could always send a PIREP ("I can see 3 miles...") to the FSS, though.

I noticed where the document referenced separate rules for micro-UAS (under 4.4 lbs). If that was discussed in the forum, any chance you could post the revised proposal?

It was discussed, but that's about it...also the new emphasis on registration was discussed and that could affect all of this...more questions raised than anything.

It was discussed, but that's about it...also the new emphasis on registration was discussed and that could affect all of this...more questions raised than anything.

Thanks. Did notice the reference to registration being "similar to information required for amateur built aircraft" at the end. Definitely reads like the Borg already have (had) their mind made up on total assimilation. So much for the "comment period".....
I can only imagine the questions.

Thanks. Did notice the reference to registration being "similar to information required for amateur built aircraft" at the end. Definitely reads like the Borg already have (had) their mind made up on total assimilation. So much for the "comment period".....
I can only imagine the questions.

Yes...many questions. I'm really up in the air (pun intended) about what to do with this 333 waiver thing. I've been trying to build aerial video and photo business for the company I work for, but we are not pulling in big bucks at all...very minimal.

Footage looks great and wonderful PR, but in the end, we are not making that much at all. I'm looking into hiring a company to get us through the application process, getting a sports pilot license (absurd requirement). Say I do all of this...spend maybe another $7k or $8k, plus all my time...then in a year or so, this waiver requirement stops. What the heck?

When I think of all the time and resources the FAA is now putting toward this waiver process when they are so behind in terms of coming up with actual registration and final rules that should apply to the entire spectrum of uav users, commercial or hobby...it blows my mind.

Sounds familiar. 333 process in motion and curious as to when the FAA will finalize 107. Do I keep on allocating resources to something that probably won't be required in a year or sit and wait?
Can fully understand those that are on the fence with regard to getting a pilot license to fulfill the current requirement. It is absurd. Require training on FAR's (airspace, etc.)-yes. Certificated to fly a Cessna 152? Like owning a football bat.

Sounds familiar. 333 process in motion and curious as to when the FAA will finalize 107. Do I keep on allocating resources to something that probably won't be required in a year or sit and wait?
Can fully understand those that are on the fence with regard to getting a pilot license to fulfill the current requirement. It is absurd. Require training on FAR's (airspace, etc.)-yes. Certificated to fly a Cessna 152? Like owning a football bat.

It is really frustrating...I think we all want to do the right thing and fly safely. I have no problem taking a test (written or uav hands-on skills), registering, paying a reasonable fee...whatever. It is absurd.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GRQLarae44