Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Dual Controller - 5.8 receiver, or twin iPads?

Reaction score
This might seem like an odd question, but when I got my dual controller Inspire package, they included a free 5.8 receiver/monitor/DVR to operate the second controller.
I'd read often about the second controller being 5.8 so assumed I'd need that monitor for the camera operator to use.

I tried following the instructions from DJI on how to set up the second controller and got nothing but frustration, it never worked, and drove me stark raving mad in the attempt.

So eventually I went to Youtube and followed the instructions there, and they were using two iPads, one on each controller. My work supply me with an iPad Air 2, and I already own an iPad Air 2 myself, so it seemed logical to just use the work one for the second controller.
It worked a treat, and was super simple to set up, and appears on the test bench to work just fine.

So why did I need the 5.8 receiver/monitor? Is it still using 5.8 if I'm using the 2nd iPad, or are both controllers now communicating directly with the Inspire so to speak. I'm just not sure where this whole 5.8 fits into the equation if using two iPads on the controllers.
Would it theoretically ever be possible mid flight to switch total control over to the second controller? I can't imagine when or why, maybe someone drops and smashes the main one or something, but just in theory could you ever take or give full flight control to the camera operator's controller?

The BlackPearl Monitor I own with my P2 doesn't have DVR, so the free monitor/receiver/DVR that came with the Inspire has now been put in the P2 kit, and if I ever fly the P2 again, I'm sure it will get to do a great job as the screen for it, It sure isn't going to be used on the Inspire.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bump.
So does anyone know whether using two tablets still runs off 5.8 or whether doing that makes them both connect directly to the bird. Seems this spare 5.8 monitor receiver isn't needed to run the second controller after all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The analog 5.8 link in your monitor is useless in that setup, there is no such thing on an Inspire.
BUT your monitor likely has an HDMI input that you can connect to the controller's HDMI out, and that would be the usage case your vendor supplied it for as a way to get an image for the cam op without buying another, more expensive tablet.

And no the camera controller can't have any flight functions.

Bump.
So does anyone know whether using two tablets still runs off 5.8 or whether doing that makes them both connect directly to the bird. Seems this spare 5.8 monitor receiver isn't needed to run the second controller after all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please do not bump threads - it is against our community rules.

Thank you.

Please do not bump threads - it is against our community rules.

Thank you.

Oops.
Missed seeing that rule. Thanks for the heads up on it. Won't happen again.

It just seemed a more polite response than, "Hello? Anyone home? I've not got an answer here yet" ;)
It's easy for a new question to quickly disappear onto page 432 if the forum is busy, and have the question get missed.
Which is why I rephrased the question straight under the word bump, because even 'bump' seemed a tad impolite. Next time I'll leave the word bump off and just rephrase the question if it looks like the question has been missed.

Still not sure I know the answer actually. The second controller is supposedly a 5.8 link to the main one, which is why they have a 5.8 antenna built into the normal antenna. But if I'm using the second controller all hooked up via it's own iPad cable, and iPad, is it no longer using the 5.8 link, and linking direct to the bird, or is it still using 5.8 and just feeding it to the iPad via the cable?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kajal142