Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

DYI Foam Core SunShade for iPad Air 2

Reaction score
Website
vimeo.com
Cut from black foam core with a foam cord strap on the back to hold it in place. I'll be testing in San Diego today.

C89OT83.png

p9lmE7n.png

great! can show us the back of the DIY shades ?
would be nice if can share a template so all can print out and cut accordingly :) hehe..

Reactions: SkySight
+1! Exactly what I was thinking of making...I'm having a devil of a time finding a commercial sunshade I'm happy with for my iPad Air with a case on it. A template would be great! Sometimes DIY is the only way to get just what you want....

Just noticed this was from back in Feb. How did the test work? Are you still using it?

+1! Exactly what I was thinking of making...I'm having a devil of a time finding a commercial sunshade I'm happy with for my iPad Air with a case on it. A template would be great! Sometimes DIY is the only way to get just what you want....

Just noticed this was from back in Feb. How did the test work? Are you still using it?
The sunshade to this works great and Ive made 2 others since then. I'll try to get a nice photo of the backside. There is no template since I just cut it all by hand as I went.

Great! Looking forward to seeing the photos. Picked up the foam core for the job last night.

I've got one of those flimsy leatherette ones I'll use as a reference while cutting the pieces. Looking forward to seeing your ideas for affixing the shade to the iPad/controller. Thanks!

Great! Looking forward to seeing the photos. Picked up the foam core for the job last night.

I've got one of those flimsy leatherette ones I'll use as a reference while cutting the pieces. Looking forward to seeing your ideas for affixing the shade to the iPad/controller. Thanks!
Here is a link to more of the photos of the shade. Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Its gotten beaten up a bit with travel and things but its still does its job. I switched over to a think dark board over the foam core.

I used hot glue to bind the cut pieces together and Velcro to attach the back bar.

Thanks Gizadog! That's actually very helpful. I like the structure in the back, think I'll shamelessly copy you, if you don't mind.

I'm thinking about angling the top of the shade about 70 degrees relative to the screen a la Tophat. What do you think? Do you think it might be more effective than 90 degrees? I guess the good thing is foam core is cheap, so I will probably build both and see what works best for me. But again, I appreciate you going to the trouble of posting those pictures, they do help.

Thanks Gizadog! That's actually very helpful. I like the structure in the back, think I'll shamelessly copy you, if you don't mind.

I'm thinking about angling the top of the shade about 70 degrees relative to the screen a la Tophat. What do you think? Do you think it might be more effective than 90 degrees? I guess the good thing is foam core is cheap, so I will probably build both and see what works best for me. But again, I appreciate you going to the trouble of posting those pictures, they do help.
Yeah I would try different things. The back brace took a few tried plus using the hot glue made all the difference is getting everything to stick together.

My first version was foamcore and now switched to a thin board thinking it would look better. But its getting beat up as well. I also need to find a better way to make it travel.

Hmmm....sheet styrene maybe? Might get a tad heavy, though.

Think I'm going to make this 1st gen sunshade non-folding. More bulk to lug around, no doubt, but sturdier maybe, if all the seams are hot-glued and more or less rigid. If I find the time, I may start actually contructing it this weekend.

I did find a very slim silicone 'case' that still fits in the controller's iPad holder, and gives at least some corner protection to my iPad. I'm thinking about integrating that into the sunshade somehow, maybe just by velcroing the sunshade to the back of the case. Seems like it might work. I get paranoid about dropping a 'nekkid' iPad, Murphy makes sure it will strike causing the most damage possible. You can guess how I know this...

I'm sure it seems I'm putting way too much thought into this little project, but I enjoy tinkering just for the sake of tinkering sometimes, know what I mean?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LewisuhaAbips