Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

FAA plans to speed up the exemption process...

Reaction score
This article was on Reuters news, sorry if this has been discuss already. FYI, set you calendars for this coming Tuesday 24th @ 10:00am I think. will confirm shortly. You can tune into to C-Span either online, cable, or Sirius XM. Congress gets an update from the FAA, which the past couple of times has gotten satirical with the FAA's response to congress. Anyway here's the Reuter's article....

Wormwood

"(Reuters) - The U.S. Federal Aviation Administration plans to unveil new steps soon to make it easier for companies to use drone aircraft for specific business operations, according to people with knowledge of the matter.

Commercial drone flights are generally banned in the United States, except in a small number of cases where the FAA has granted an exemption. The has agency received more than 750 requests for exemptions to the ban, but has awarded only 48.

Now the U.S. aviation regulator intends to streamline the process by no longer requiring companies with exemptions to obtain a new certificate of authority for each new use of a drone, the people familiar with the matter said.

The FAA could announce the change next week, ahead of a congressional hearing on drones scheduled for Tuesday, these people added.

The FAA had no immediate comment. The agency has been taking measured steps to ease restrictions on commercial use of drones.

The change in policy could be a positive signal to a wide swath of companies that are pushing for federal regulators to remove barriers to commercial uses of automated aircraft, and help foster growth of an emerging sector of manufacturers and service providers built around drone technology.

The rule changes also would be a boost for companies that already have exemptions from the commercial drone ban, such as Chevron (CVX.N), Berkshire Hathaway's BNSF Railway Co (BRKa.N), State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Co, and a number of film and media companies. Those companies could get more flexibility to use pilotless aircraft for rail and pipeline inspections, crop surveys and aerial photography for commercials or movies.

Companies awaiting exemptions from the overall ban could also benefit, including Amazon.com Inc (AMZN.O) and Yamaha Motor Co (7272.T).

On Thursday, Amazon got FAA clearance to experiment with drones at an outdoor facility in Washington state under a different set of federal rules. Amazon hopes to develop drones capable of delivering packages to customer doorsteps.

Industry lobbyists have criticized the current process as too slow. Companies with approval to fly unmanned aircraft must obtain government permission each time they intend to use drones for a new project. They must fill out and get FAA approval for a two-page "certificate of authority" before each flight specifying where, when and how long the drone will fly.

The process of authorizing specific flights has bogged down, said Mark Dombroff, a partner in the drone practice of McKenna, Long and Aldridge. In one case, Dombroff said, applicants sought permission to fly over an area of land, but the FAA "wanted us to apply for every farm individually."

FAA Administrator Michael Huerta told industry representatives at a recent meeting that his agency was moving to streamline the process, the sources added.

In February, the FAA proposed rules that would lift the current ban on most commercial drone use. But industry representatives say it could be years before the ban is lifted, leaving businesses to follow the cumbersome exemption process for now."

Reactions: bsigman and DaddyDe
I have thought about applying for the 333 & COA - is there a better resource for doing an application - other than looking at the applications pending

If you already have a private pilots license, the 333 is just a matter of telling the FAA what they want to hear. It should be interesting to see what is actually streamlined.

If you already have a private pilots license, the 333 is just a matter of telling the FAA what they want to hear. It should be interesting to see what is actually streamlined.

Sorry, I don't have a pilots license. I've looked online at the FAA applications and see the apps are mostly long legal and boring. If need be, I can review and come up with my own - but a simple sample would be awesome! (one that is bound to be approved)

Sorry, I don't have a pilots license. I've looked online at the FAA applications and see the apps are mostly long legal and boring. If need be, I can review and come up with my own - but a simple sample would be awesome! (one that is bound to be approved)

The basic concept is to tell them how you plan to use the UAV, list the FAR's that you wish to be exempt from, and describe why being exempt from a particular FAR would not affect safety. From what I can see, the FAA has already determined that UAV's don't need airworthy certification, registration numbers, or annual maintenance, which is huge. Also, they have waived the Commercial Pilots Certificate in favor of a Private Pilots Certificate with a Visual Observer. Even though piloting a Cessna has nothing to do with a Inspire 1, my guess they want someone with knowledge of FARs and airspace to be piloting the UAV. It also gives the FAA someone's certificate to violate should the UAV is being used inappropriately.

I've seen the long legal samples out there, and I too plan to whittle one down to something more simple and see how that "flies" with the FAA.

Reactions: Richie Meeuwsen
I've been looking through all of the mind numbing applications and exeptions granted. Seems like all of the exeptions are being granted with at least a private pilots certificate and a 3rd class airmen medical required.

yes right now a ppl is absolutely required...the only reason there was talk of one not being needed was the arizona real estate agent topic from a couple months ago, most people i think stopped reading after that and went ape **** on getting an application in but that agent also filed for a 120 day extension to get his ppl and he is not allowed to do commercial work until he receives it.

So as of now, if you're applying with no ppl, just kinda kickin tires..

I also remember an application for an Inpsire 1 proposal and was turned down as they said it had not been around long enough to justify it's air worthyness

this press release in announcing a recently approved (4-9-15) FAA 333 exemption approval whereby the company is using Inspire 1's and S1000's. also the first in the NY Metro area to have a multi-use exemption approval.

Attachments

• PR_1-Apr13_v2.pdf
    55.9 KB · Views: 17
Reactions: skylabimaging
333 only applies to people with a pilot license. No one in their right mind spends over $10,000 to get a peice of paper so they can apply for another peice of paper in order to be "professionally" allowed to look at 2 LCD screens and move their fingers. It's about as stupid as going to the DMV to get a drivers permit for a $30 remote controlled car. This is a power play by the FAA to allocate resources in the pilots interest.

Last edited:
333 only applies to people with a pilot license. No one in their right mind spends over $3000 to get a peice of paper so they can apply for another peice of paper in order to be "professionally" allowed to look at 2 LCD screens and move their fingers. It's about as stupid as going to the DMV to get a drivers permit for a $30 remote controlled car. This is a power play by the FAA to allocate resources in the pilots interest.

People aren't driving rc cars down freeways or public road ways either....

Not saying it hasn't happened just saying there aren't a stack of news articles about people and rc cars

If you can get a pilots license for $3000 you are lucky.

I am getting my license and with the necessary flight time the cost will be $9000.

If your doing it as a business your customers are going to expect you have the necessary insurance if you can find a company to insure you.

J Leonard

Reactions: rtrhead

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
klrshopfitters