Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

FAQ / Start Here

So I am asking you, "Quadpilot" cause I like your answers usually. anyone chime in here though.
I was doing some test flights today of my new inspire. something I noticed was how abruptly the quad reacts when letting go of the sticks. for instance. Let's say I am cruising along relatively slowly around 5-8 mph and in a forward flight attitude, if I let go of the forward stick, it's as if the GPS tries to stop the quad so quickly so that it doesn't continue in the same direction long after I let go of the stick that it abruptly jerks the quad in the opposite direction to get the forward movement stopped and then since it acted so abruptly to stop it with the opposite commands, it has to jerk back in the other direction to counteract this first correction. It makes the I1 look crazy and slightly like it's our of control until it has full gotten the quad to stop it's movement in whatever direction it was going and is finally holding steady in one spot! This is SUPER odd to me, since with my DJI Phantoms, whenever I would let go of the stick, it would take a certain amount of time with it's corrections to come to a nice smooth, slow stop, instead of trying to stop dead in it's tracks as soon as the sticks are released. So what's going on? is this just normal operation with the GPS on the I1, or is my GPS reacting too quickly, and if so, what do I do to fix this issue in order for the quad to come to a smoother, more stable stop???

Thanks!

-Clint

Ed's already answered your question about the way the Inspire flies in P-GPS mode when releasing the right stick pitch mode. It requires a very soft touch on the stick to slow down the inspire in FF flight before releasing the stick, and even then it will come to a rapid stop when it senses neutral pitch input and goes into position hold. If you don't like that, try using P-ATTI mode (middle pos on the mode switch), but be prepared to deal with the fact that the Inspire will keep going unless you use opposite pitch input to slow down or stop the motion, and the Inspire will drift with the wind even once it stops because it is not trying to hold a GPS position.

Ed and Blade have asked for DJI to add stick expo on the pitch and roll stick as now is available on the yaw and throttle stick, but that has not been made available in a new app (it's not firmware related but app related to the controller). That might dampen the area around center stick and make it possible to get a smoother stop in P-GPS mode, bit it will still require a deliberate effort on your part to slow down the Inspire with controlled release toward center stick to tell the Inspire to slow down the rate of change in position (decrease forward velocity). If you have a rapid forward speed and let the stick snap to center it will react aggressively to hold that position by engaging ESC active braking of the motors. BTW, the same holds true for rapid side-to-side movement in roll mode. Again, P-ATTI will prevent that, but at the expense of losing the ability to hold a GPS position. Many videographers will tell you that they prefer P-ATTI mode when filming to get smoother craft movements, but it will require a bit more attention to dealing with craft momentum when flying, especially in windy conditions.

Reactions: lrwskyfilms
That's exactly what I was thinking was going on, but since I am new to the inspire, I figured I better ask, since I haven't heard many other people on here talking about their I1's doing this. However, I of course coming from being a RC helicopter pilot for 8 years, know about finesse! I don't just release the sticks and expect the I1 to make its stop on its own. I was actually slowly easing out of my flight paths and it was still creating abrupt, jerking stopping movements to fully bring it to a stop even if it was not hardly still in motion.

That's exactly what I was thinking was going on, but since I am new to the inspire, I figured I better ask, since I haven't heard many other people on here talking about their I1's doing this. However, I of course coming from being a RC helicopter pilot for 8 years, know about finesse! I don't just release the sticks and expect the I1 to make its stop on its own. I was actually slowly easing out of my flight paths and it was still creating abrupt, jerking stopping movements to fully bring it to a stop even if it was not hardly still in motion.

There is a request to make the Inspire less responsive by allowing expo on the right stick control for pitch and roll. It's on the list of firmware/appware upgrade requests, but has not been implemented. Now that you're aware, just be gentle on the controls, and learn to use P-ATTI when you want smoother motion.

Reactions: lrwskyfilms
Sounds Good! Thanks so much guys for all your info and input! Much appreciated! I gotta say! I LOVE how this bird flies!!! It is extremely fast and handles really well! When I want to toss it around the sky it flies a lot like my collective pitch helicopters used to and I love that! They just need to make it where I can switch into a more slow, smooth flying mode for when I'm going to work shooting my next blockbuster!

Greetings ... not handling well the English, I'm using an online translator to write this. Some query:
- Anyone know if the camera can record DJI inspire one audio?
- Use two remote controls to drive the Inspire. Sometimes the flight control influences the direction of the camera, which is supposed to be controlled only by the other control. Any thoughts on this?

Hi all.
I'm yet to see a picture of the actual flight controller and the Lightbridge.
I know that the flight controller is a modified version of the a2 but doesn't look to be the same.
Hope someone can help
Thanks,
Paul.

Thanks guys for this brilliant thread, very useful;)

I've been a phantom pilot for a while but yesterday got myself an inspire.
So loads of reading to do.... Firmware upgrades & getting my head around all the new settings etc...

Been flying a couple phantoms and a 3DR Iris+ for a while. Now I"m joining the ranks of Inspire owners. Ordered and waiting.....
I've been educating myself on the Inspire and I will be reaching out when I have questions.. I appreciate all the information everyone has shared.

Guess I may have to change my name :)

Reactions: Busch and JayVapes
Just build your own setup like I did for a few hundred bucks, and it's all remove able and you can customize it to your liking. I have a whole thread on this
@DattaGroover

uploadfromtaptalk1442196634339.jpg

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

One question I have, if your out in the middle of the back of beyond. What's the best way for raising and lowering the Inspire if your on grass or other unsuitable ground, I want to make sure I am connecting the camera without fault.

Should I be taking something suitable to land / take off from?

Thanks in advance.

One question I have, if your out in the middle of the back of beyond. What's the best way for raising and lowering the Inspire if your on grass or other unsuitable ground, I want to make sure I am connecting the camera without fault.

Should I be taking something suitable to land / take off from?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Matt & welcome to the forum.

I always use my inspire case for raising/lowering my inspire plus it's a good base for taking off but not for landing....

Hope the above helps in some way;)

Thank you, I did wonder if the case would suffice. Now I know the answer.

Thank you, I will try it out.

Matt

I also hold on to the top of the inspire when doing the transport/shipment raising/lowering, just in case.... Better to be safe then sorry;)

Reactions: John Archer
One more thing, where do you get the shark teeth decals from? Can't see them anywhere in the UK?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melodee207