Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Fisheye in aerial photo/videography

Reaction score
First, as for now the Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye lens is not supported or recognized by X5/X5R camera system. Although Go app stubbornly demands lens calibration every time, autofocus feature doesn't work and calibration process must be aborted. Threfore the only option is to focus manually, which in this case is a bit tedious or cumbersome, hit-and-miss procedure. As for all lenses in this format, the focusing ring has no stops or even numeric indicators. Moreover, the focus assistant feature is not accessible and you must rely on WYSIWYG display on tablet screen. Thankfully all lenses of this type exhibits insanely deep field of view at average 5.6 aperture and far distances. Setting the focus manually on distant object with full aperture opening usually provides good results. To do so you need both hands: one for holding the camera body without abusing gimbal motors, another for focusing.
Second, X5 camera sees the lens hood (vignetting), which requires image cropping in postproduction. Minor annoyance, but may limit videography to 4K only.
Third, ND filtering is troubled since the lens accepts only gel type filters inserted into a slot located behind.
Said that, the lens is very well designed and build in Japan, delivering incredibly sharp image with no distortions (other than desired, of course). Good looking, almost sexy piece of glass. With 165 g of weight is significantly heavier than 130 g Oly 12mm or 116 g Oly 45mm, but the gimbal is operating normally without the need for balancing rings.
Such good quality is reflected by hefty price tag, unfortunately. For a few brave - and rich enough - photographers out there this lens may be a good addition for spiced up imagery from above ...

Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm/F3.5 Lens H-F008 B&H Photo Video

Last edited:
I have been testing this lens with inspire2, some times it focus, some times no, need to do more test to find why it only focus some times.
With this lens used for aerial photography focusing doesn't really matters since the depth of field at apertures around 11 is enormous. Adjust focus manually to infinity while on ground and forget it.

Looking back at this, makes you realise what Laowa manged with their rectilinear 7.5!
You're talking about different specimens. Fish eye is ... a fish eye, an lens distorting the reality purposely, while Laowa 7.5 is a super wide lens.

I know, fish eye is as you say, fish eye and has its place :)

Like I said, it still makes me appreciate what Laowa managed to get out of their little 7.5mm lens.
I never had a chance to test this Laowa lens. Does it fit X5/X5S camera? Would it calibrate?

It fits & works on both my x5 and x5s - used it on both Osmo & I2 for standard H264 video and photos in jpeg/dng without too many gremlins.

It won't calibrate as such as there's nothing to calibrate. Just set the aperture, set the focus (mainly to just under infinity) and off you go.

Main issues are, being fully manual with no chip, DJI Go isn't overly happy that it can't read aperture/shutter etc, and it doesn't like switching modes between a/s/m - sometimes causing a camera reboot. Easier to set exposure in video mode, then switch to photo mode - photo mode seems to have a few gremlins extra & I've found exposure is best tweaked using EV+/- . Colours & contrast seem to render more vividly than the Oly lenses.

Other than that, it's a really nice image from it - pleased to add it to the collection.

It fits & works on both my x5 and x5s - used it on both Osmo & I2 for standard H264 video and photos in jpeg/dng without too many gremlins.

It won't calibrate as such as there's nothing to calibrate. Just set the aperture, set the focus (mainly to just under infinity) and off you go.

Main issues are, being fully manual with no chip, DJI Go isn't overly happy that it can't read aperture/shutter etc, and it doesn't like switching modes between a/s/m - sometimes causing a camera reboot. Easier to set exposure in video mode, then switch to photo mode - photo mode seems to have a few gremlins extra & I've found exposure is best tweaked using EV+/- . Colours & contrast seem to render more vividly than the Oly lenses.

Other than that, it's a really nice image from it - pleased to add it to the collection.
Thank you, that's truly professional and elaborate response to my question(s) :)...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lgstirling