Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

USA Flying in Orlando area (private property and unlocked class B) in a few weeks.

Reaction score
Gentlemen, I am seeking advice on how to legally fly this Op. I am a UK PFCO holder and realise that it ain't with Jack in the US, so do I require a part 107 holder to supervise me during the shoot? The op is a paid commission but the property where I'll be flying is all privately owned. I'm not looking to circumvent the laws here I am just after the legalities. Any advice would be appreciated.

Gentlemen, I am seeking advice on how to legally fly this Op. I am a UK PFCO holder and realise that it ain't with Jack in the US, so do I require a part 107 holder to supervise me during the shoot? The op is a paid commission but the property where I'll be flying is all privately owned. I'm not looking to circumvent the laws here I am just after the legalities. Any advice would be appreciated.
Knowing exactly where you are going to fly will give us a chance to give you an accurate answer. Based upon the information provided, yes you are going to have to have a 107 pilot as the RPIC for your flight -or- obtain 107 certification yourself. Other than that, its all speculation and guess work.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    92.9 KB · Views: 8
Hi RMartin and thanks for your swift reply, the exact area is Lake Nona Golf and Country club.

As long as you do not stray from the country club grounds you max ceiling is going to be 200 feet AGL and you will need to file for Class B authorization via the LAANC system at a minimum of 24 hours in advance to be certain that authorization is granted. If you need to fly above the 200 foot ceiling then you will need a waiver to operate and that is outside the scope of your stay in regards to time. Do not stray any farther west than Figman Way which will put you in a -0- grid box.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    105.4 KB · Views: 8
Reactions: licensed pilot
As long as a 107 holder is present you are good to go.
I would be very careful being the supervising RPIC in cases like this. The regulations say that the certificated RPIC must be able to immediately take control of the craft. Since this flight is with an I2, this would be quite doable with dual controllers. Short of that, it would be a bit more difficult for a supervising RPIC to fully monitor the flight and be able to "immediately" take control in case of an issue. Remember that the full responsibility of flight operations falls on the certificated pilot here.

Of course it does help tremendously knowing that the OP is licensed in the UK and is experienced. Just need to ensure that both pilots are very aware of the surrounding airspace.

I would be very careful being the supervising RPIC in cases like this. The regulations say that the certificated RPIC must be able to immediately take control of the craft. Since this flight is with an I2, this would be quite doable with dual controllers. Short of that, it would be a bit more difficult for a supervising RPIC to fully monitor the flight and be able to "immediately" take control in case of an issue. Remember that the full responsibility of flight operations falls on the certificated pilot here.

Of course it does help tremendously knowing that the OP is licensed in the UK and is experienced. Just need to ensure that both pilots are very aware of the surrounding airspace.
I've performed the role on one job for another licensed 107 pilot who lacked the airspace authorizations for the area. I made sure that the failsafe programming was properly set up and the homepoint was correctly set for each flight. Then walked him through his preflight and briefed the operation to the staff. Nothing out of the ordinary occurred over the eight months we flew. Our contract spelled everything out and was agreed upon well before we began flying the job. He finally got his airspace approval and I was no longer needed.

Monster, give me a PM ([email protected]). I fly there all the time and had an I2.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charlesssouth