Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Flying Slowly?

Reaction score
HI Everyone, I have been flying a few years now with F550 and Phantoms and now fly an Inspire Z5R. Beautiful machine and wonderfully powerful which is why we all love them. Just finished a great TV commercial shoot filming surf action, cliff jumping and speedboats - all great fast action. However i also film for wildlife docos. One of my most recent involved mangrove forests and had no issues with the high & mid altitude shots but it took incredible concentration and nerve wracking flights to get the low altitude and internal mangrove shots between the trees. Most because the Inspire is so powerful and fast and the controllers so sensitive. Now i would be the first to put my hand up and say more practice and more years of experience with the controllers and under standing how to control the inspires power would go a long way to helping here but i was wondering whether anyone else has any other advice on how to slow the Inspire down and reign her in a bit other than using the autopilot apps to set flight speeds as i usually want to slow the machine down and have full control of the machine in very tight or active situations which in my opinion rules of the autopilots as they would be little or no time to take back control of the machine if the autopilot developed an issue or you hadnt got your settings 100% correct. So i am throwing it out there to you guys and gals and would love to hear any pearls of wisdom and suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Dennis Mont
Play with the Expo settings to get the sensitivity around the centre reduced or sometimes longer sticks can help. I have left my inspire sticks the standard length for now (normally increase the length of the sicks on all my txs) but I think I may look for some longe ones.

Ok thanks guys - yeh i did look into changing the gains and expo settings but all advice seemed to say leave them as they are. Good idea re lengthening the sticks though i could try that out. So i guess everyone else is happy at flying fast and free and not at slowing down a tad and fly between tight trees i guess ;)

Personaly I find slow flying the hardest part of flying.
Low altitude I don't find this difficult,but the speed is always hard.

Depending on your angles, I would also thing about changing the gimbal mode to Free.

I set the curves at it´s minimun (.20 I think), extended the sticks and try to be as fine as I can with them.
worked for me to fly slowly.
I think lowering the attitude setting (in sensitivity) helps too

Expo on sticks is must. Regarding sticks, you should change Attitude and Breaking gains to minimum (Attitude gain sets general sticks sensitivity, while Breaking gain sets how strong aircraft will decelerate once you release sticks in GPS mode). You can experiment with Yaw Endpoints as well - it influences yawing sensivity... Please do not confuse these Attitude and Breaking gains with aircraft stability gains which should not be changed.

Airctaft can fly much much more smoothly and slowly in Atti mode - in Atti you can leave it to glide and just use sticks to gently correct its gliding... Personaly I can hardly perform smooth close orbit in GPS mode, while in Atti I do buttery smooth slow orbits even at very close distances (aprox. 2m)...

Setting gimbal to Free mode, while having other person to manipulate camera direction could help you in tight corners as well...

Hope this helps :)

Last edited:
Reactions: eldorado
Thanks everyone. There is some great advice here and all is much appreciated. What a great group this is. Once again thanks.

I set the curves at it´s minimun (.20 I think), extended the sticks and try to be as fine as I can with them.
worked for me to fly slowly.
I think lowering the attitude setting (in sensitivity) helps too
I think you should consider wind conditions if you make a expo adjustment that slow. In quiet air .20 is great. In windy it can cause (IMO) a drifty response which might force you to make extreme stick moves which are hard to recover from.

Well, may be if you are flying in ATTI. Never had a problem flying GPS
And trying to be as fine as you can, avoiding extreme sticks movements.

Reactions: eldorado

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DinaRqz379