Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Focus Wheel question

Reaction score
Website
goaerial.media
How many different models of the focus wheel are there?

I see the $1000 looks like last years model.

And on Amazon the Focus Wheel which looks just like the Focus Wheel 2 on the DJI site, but is $100 less.

On B&H it is two different SKUs

DJI Focus Handwheel 2 for Inspire 2 & Osmo Pro/RAW
B&H # DJZM000524 ■MFR # CP.ZM.000524

DJI Osmo Focus Handwheel
B&H # DJZM000456 ■MFR # CP.ZM.000456

Last edited:
There seem to be 4 versions now.

#1 & #2: Two variants of the bigger DJI Focus unit which you can buy with or without an external motor drive & receiver unit - mainly used with dslr's and things like the Ronin.

#3: The Focus handwheel which was the original one designed for use with the Osmo and x5/raw. this can also be used with the inspire 1 or 2 if you purchase the appropriate cable to hook it up to the RC unit. This unit can operate either the lens focus, zoom or aperture depending on what it is set to control in DJI Go.

#4: the Focus Handwheel 2 which is slightly redesigned from the original version. The new design includes a power button, a button to select the operating mode (Focus/Aperture/Zoom), and two different comms ports - one to connect to the Osmo Pro/raw (X5), and another which couples directly to the Focus 2 remote stand to supply comms & power from the RC. This version is not compatible with the inspire 1.

for the uses of the earlier versions see DJI Focus Handwheel for I2

As always, @NickU is right on :)

The Handwheels are the best option for the Inspire 2. You've got the Handwheel and Handwheel 2 to choose from.

DJI Focus Handwheel - Original version of the Handwheel. To mount to I2 you would need this Handwheel Stand and either the Short Focus Handwheel Cable or Long Focus Handwheel Cable.

DJI Focus Handwheel 2 - New version of the Handwheel that was released last week that allows you to select your operating mode and connects to the Inspire 2 by using the Focus Handwheel 2 Stand. The communication cable is integrated into the stand and no external cable is needed when connecting to the I2.

At the moment everything for the original Handwheel is in stock here at Advexure. The Handwheel 2's are currently sold out while the new Handwheel 2 Stands are in stock.

Any specific questions feel free to give us a shout.

Reactions: Fly Gary
Handwheel 1 works just fine if you want to save a few $$. Only difference on the HW2 is the builtin power link and the on-off button really. I think the mode select button probably activates the menu on DJI Go to choose from and doesn't step thru them, but @Advexure may be able to confrm that more accurately if he has the units in stock.

Handwheel 1 works just fine if you want to save a few $$. Only difference on the HW2 is the builtin power link and the on-off button really. I think the mode select button probably activates the menu on DJI Go to choose from and doesn't step thru them, but @Advexure may be able to confrm that more accurately if he has the units in stock.

When you press and hold the lens button on the Focus Handwheel 2 it will toggle between focus and aperture in the app for you (and presumably zoom control if you are using a powered zoom lens). This eliminates the need to touch the screen to change what function the focus wheel is adjusting. Its convenient if you want to use the handwheel to frequently change something other than focus. Also, it seems as though the new hand wheel may also allow you to adjust the amount of focus throw your hand wheel has. Here is the quote from the user guide:

https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/osmo/20170517/DJI+Handwheel+2+User+Guide+V1.0.pdf

7. LENS Button
Opens lens travel settings and switching between focus, aperture or zoom control, subject to lens compatibility.

Overall we have been really impressed with the Full DJI Focus as well as the Focus Handwheels. When comparing them to some of the other follow focus systems on the market we have come to prefer the DJI Focus - especially for its price point. We now have 1 or 2 RedRock Micro systems that are collecting dust.

If anyone has any more questions about these just let me know...I am happy to help!

Michael

Reactions: NickU and SanCap
When you press and hold the lens button on the Focus Handwheel 2 it will toggle between focus and aperture in the app for you (and presumably zoom control if you are using a powered zoom lens). This eliminates the need to touch the screen to change what function the focus wheel is adjusting. Its convenient if you want to use the handwheel to frequently change something other than focus. Also, it seems as though the new hand wheel may also allow you to adjust the amount of focus throw your hand wheel has. Here is the quote from the user guide:

https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/osmo/20170517/DJI+Handwheel+2+User+Guide+V1.0.pdf

7. LENS Button
Opens lens travel settings and switching between focus, aperture or zoom control, subject to lens compatibility.

Overall we have been really impressed with the Full DJI Focus as well as the Focus Handwheels. When comparing them to some of the other follow focus systems on the market we have come to prefer the DJI Focus - especially for its price point. We now have 1 or 2 RedRock Micro systems that are collecting dust.

If anyone has any more questions about these just let me know...I am happy to help!

Michael

Is this what adjusts the FW2 to the lens focus limits?

"Travel Range Settings

Travel range settings are only available in the focus control mode.
1. Turn the focus wheel to the desired upper travel limit and press the lens button once.
2. Turn the focus wheel to the desired lower travel limit and press the lens button once.

Turning the focus wheel a full cycle will now rotate the lens between the two travel limits. 3. Press the lens button again to reset. "

Anymore insight on the main differences @Advexure ?

Hi Damian – Michael at FDS chimed in here with some helpful information as to the differences so hopefully that helps. The key differences include the operating mode button and the connection type with the Handwheel 2 Stand which integrates the CAN-BUS cable into the Stand.

Give us call, PM or email with any further questions, we'll be happy to further assist :cool:

Here are some images of the new Handwheel 2 Stand and it's new contact terminal connection with the Handwheel 2 and integrated CAN-BUS Cable.

Unfortunately don't have a Handwheel 2 on hand at the moment to familiarize ourselves with :(

Inspire-2-Handwheel-2-Stand-1.jpg Inspire-2-Handwheel-2-Stand-2.jpg Inspire-2-Handwheel-2-Stand-3.jpg

I have the Focus Hand Wheel (not # 2) without buttons, today I updated my RC firmware and App to 4.0.2, When I connect my Focus Hand Wheel I get a message "Inconsistent Firmware Found" and I assume it is an update for the Focus wheel.

Since I don't have the latest focus wheel, there is no buttons, how do I calibrate or set the endpoints? Have not updated, awaiting any info before doing so.
Thank you for any info.

Last edited:
I have the Focus Hand Wheel (not # 2) without buttons, today I updated my RC firmware and App to 4.0.2, When I connect my Focus Hand Wheel I get a message "Inconsistent Firmware Found" and I assume it is an update for the Focus wheel.

Since I don't have the latest focus wheel, there is no buttons, how do I calibrate or set the endpoints? Have not updated, awaiting any info before doing so.
Thank you for any info.

You can not calibrate the end points on FW1.

Reactions: Advexure
Thank you for the reply, so what is the FW do on the FW1? Anything?

The focus wheel 1 will still allow you to focus very precisely but it does not use the full range of motion of the wheel. You will pull your focus of the lens from one end to the other in less than 1/3 of rotation of the focus wheel. There still are nurled screws to set the physical end points of the focus wheel to allow you to pull the focus where you want it. The calibration of the FW2 allows you to use the full range of the focus wheel to match the lens.

Last edited:
Reactions: Advexure
The focus wheel 1 will still allow you to focus very precisely but it does not use the full range of motion of the wheel. You will pull your focus of the lens from one end to the other in less than 1/3 of rotation of the focus wheel. There still are nurdled screws to set the physical end points of the focus wheel to allow you to pull the focus where you want it. The calibration of the FW2 allows you to use the full range of the focus wheel to match the lens.
Thank you, guess I have to try the update.

I'm too new to get this. But I'm very interested in Learning.
1. How do you know what is in focus since the video transmutation can effect the look of you left image? I'm shooting the x4s (told u I'm a noob).

2. What kind of lag is associated with his product? I know when I adjust the ISO and such there can be a little lag depending on distance and interface and such.

Hello,

Do you know if the DJI Focus units, meaning the wheel+control handle, can detach into one focus wheel, and one handle? To use the focus wheel separately.

Thanks

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alecia4669